HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 5, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #7,201 of 26,685
Now my desktop computer, being a beefy thing, I decided to put on its own circuit breaker separate from everything else in my room. The audio equipment was on a 2nd circuit. But this is where the problem arose! Basically, the grounding for each circuit/breaker seemed to be marginally different. This caused a differential along the cables conencting my audio gear to my computer gear, and caused my noise floor to be quite a bit higher than it should.

FWIW this is pretty much what made me move to streamers for music listening.
I run a Pi2AES -> Aqua LaVoce S3 via AES for my primary environment and just a generic Pi -> BiFrost2 via USB for my secondary ome.
The Pi's are running ropieee and acting just as Roon endpoints.

I do still run USB from the computer to the DAC in my primary setup, for if I decide I need to game using that chain.

Using a computer as a source is just a terrible idea, your connecting pretty much the noisiest electrical thing short of a refrigerator or Hair Dryer directly to your audio system.
Obviously there are fixes for this, galvanically isolated USB interfaces etc.
The Raspberry Pi isn't ideal either, but it's less of an issue.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #7,202 of 26,685
Agree with your comments BassicScience. I had the SR1a for a couple of weeks before returning them back to the Raal Authorised Dealer and ran it off the same speaker power amp I am currently using for my Susvara. Although as jlbrach stated the clarity and instrument separation and sound stage of the SR1a is superior to the Susvara, the bass is very poor which of course will highlight the mids and treble of the music as you have stated BassicScience. Overall the Susvara is a far more musical and enjoyable headphone to the SR1a. However if you want to analyse (not specifically relax, listen and enjoy the music) high level of details particularly in the mids and treble as jlbrach states you will hear everything.
we hear things differently for sure regarding the bass...it is surely not very poor..in fact to my ears it is more accurate just not as impactful...that said if you or others need the sub bass rumble then I suggest the abyss which I love...simply different

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #7,203 of 26,685
we hear things differently for sure regarding the bass...it is surely not very poor..in fact to my ears it is more accurate just not as impactful...that said if you or others need the sub bass rumble then I suggest the abyss which I love...simply different
I played electric bass (in bands) back in the day. Granted I only heard the SR1a once at a show, but it didn't sound "more accurate" to me on that instrument. I do plan to give it another shot as I'm genuinely curious to experience this magic that so many people are talking about. I auditioned the "cans" at the Raal booth through a speaker amp, so I assume they had them set up fairly optimally. It was obviously far noisier than a home environment, and with zero isolation that might have been a bigger negative factor than usual.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #7,204 of 26,685
FWIW this is pretty much what made me move to streamers for music listening.
I run a Pi2AES -> Aqua LaVoce S3 via AES for my primary environment and just a generic Pi -> BiFrost2 via USB for my secondary ome.
The Pi's are running ropieee and acting just as Roon endpoints.

I do still run USB from the computer to the DAC in my primary setup, for if I decide I need to game using that chain.

Using a computer as a source is just a terrible idea, your connecting pretty much the noisiest electrical thing short of a refrigerator or Hair Dryer directly to your audio system.

Yea I understand but the inconvenience of a streamer is not my thing. The way I use a computer and listen to music is pretty closely intertwined, so it wouldn't really work for me. But I appreciate that it works for some more than others :)

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #7,205 of 26,685
Nice description. In a typical month, what gets used most? Percentage breakdown would be so much fun, if you would kindly oblige. 🙂
Based on music preferences I guess, but if I just want to enjoy music, I pick up the TC and Susvara because I know everything will sound good. I'll also preferentially pick those (and my other cans) for EDM, pop, bass-heavy soundtracks or organ music to name a few. If I feel like listening to my best recordings or classical, new age, jazz, acoustic, vocals etc. I'll grab the SR1a.

I played electric bass (in bands) back in the day. Granted I only heard the SR1a once at a show, but it didn't sound "more accurate" to me on that instrument. I do plan to give it another shot as I'm genuinely curious to experience this magic that so many people are talking about. I auditioned the "cans" at the Raal booth through a speaker amp, so I assume they had them set up fairly optimally. It was obviously far noisier than a home environment, and with zero isolation that might have been a bigger negative factor than usual.

As you said, difficult to assess the subtleties of audio at this level in a show environment. It took me a few weeks of ownership with various gear/tracks in my own quiet environment to fully appreciate what the RAALs offered.

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #7,206 of 26,685
Complete nonsense unless you have a poorly engineered DAC. This is OT for this thread, but sometimes I can't let misinformation slide by.

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #7,207 of 26,685
Based on music preferences I guess, but if I just want to enjoy music, I pick up the TC and Susvara because I know everything will sound good. I'll also preferentially pick those (and my other cans) for EDM, pop, bass-heavy soundtracks or organ music to name a few. If I feel like listening to my best recordings or classical, new age, jazz, acoustic, vocals etc. I'll grab the SR1a.

As you said, difficult to assess the subtleties of audio at this level in a show environment. It took me a few weeks of ownership with various gear/tracks in my own quiet environment to fully appreciate what the RAALs offered.
actually, the sr1a is the first product I have heard in years that is truly different...the abyss and susvara have different sounds but both are planars....the abyss may be better than the LCD-4 but they are both planars...the sr1a is a different animal and as such takes a fair bit of time to asses and understand and really experience...as I have mentioned when I take off the abyss and put on the sr1a it is literally a completely different experience that takes a time to readjust to....no argument here nor am I trying to convince anyone of anything...I love hearing peoples opinions and then going out and listening...as one who owns the sr1a along with the susvara and abyss and has no axe to grind I am just passing along my observations....this hobby is a subjective one to be sure and nobody needs to be angry or defensive when somebody points out a product they truly appreciate

Mar 5, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #7,208 of 26,685
Be careful! By using a passive xlr to rca adapter like that you are short circuiting your dac's output stage.

This can damage it either instantly or over time
Thanks for the heads-up. But there's no problem here.

Tambaqui DAC XLR output:
only pin 2 carries the signal
pin 3: ground

Cardas XLR to RCA adapter:
pin 2 to RCA signal
pin 1 to ground
(pin 3 is connected to pin 1, therefore to ground)

I don't understand why this should "short circuiting my DAC's output stage".

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #7,209 of 26,685

Tambaqui DAC XLR output:

pin 2 to RCA signal
pin 1 to ground

You only want to use two pins, don't use anything that will connect any two pins together. I once used an adapter which had pins 1 and 3 connected together, apparently pretty common, and my DAC started to make crackling electrical noise as soon as I connected it. YMMV

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #7,210 of 26,685

I hear this just as you do! I absolutely love all three and have a hard time deciding which to listen to. :)

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #7,213 of 26,685

Tambaqui DAC XLR output:

pin 2 to RCA signal
pin 1 to ground

There are multiple standards with XLR: European (1 Ground, 2 Hot, 3 Cold), American (1 Ground, 2 Cold, 3 Hot). When using XLR as intended, this doesn't really matter. Tambaqui uses 2 as hot and 3 as cold btw.

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #7,214 of 26,685
Hey Peter! Just making the rounds changing passwords and making the occasional post to keep the account active :)

Havent spent much time listening to music lately but got some interesting incomings to make up for that. Might resume posting in a while.

Hows things up in the great white north eh?

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #7,215 of 26,685

Tambaqui DAC XLR output:

pin 2 to RCA signal
pin 1 to ground

I’m jealous about your Tambaqui. I’ve been eyeing it for several months now. Have you compared it with other dacs? If so, what’s it all like with the Susvaras?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back