HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 15, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #6,152 of 26,664
I'll be really interested in what you think of the Chord. On your Primaluna are you going off of the HP jack or using speaker taps? I'm using a Primaluna Dialogue Premium Amp driven off of the speaker taps and it drive the Susvara ok, but has a very different presentation than my XA25. It also took some tube rolling to get a sound I liked (currently using Brimar CV4003 on driver and Sophia KT88 on power) Nowhere near the level of detail and bass doesn't extend or as well defined. There is some bass bloat/distortion that can kind of sound interesting on some tracks (at first). Soundstaging is more enveloping on the Primaluna whereas X25 has such a black background that it almost seems like things are highlighted or spotlighted. I'm guessing some of it is due to the amount of harmonic distortion the Primaluna generates.
I use headphone output (7 Watt on 60 Ohmm).
Keep in mind that 8 EL34 have more grip and control over the low range than the 4. Maybe the difference between you and me is this. Furthermore, the use of Eat dumpers accentuates the control of harmonics. My 5 cents 🙂

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #6,153 of 26,664
With Primaluna I use the headphone output where I have 7 watts of power. On the HP Premium there are 8 el34 power tubes. On the gain 2 12au7 Amperex Buggle Boy and 4 Telefunken 12au7 drivers.
No low range swelling on Susvara which sounds great on P.L. HP. Nice wide stage.
The Chord will be here next week and I'll tell you how it works with Susvsra.

Your tube complement is quite different on your Primaluna than mine, so I think yours is very different from mine (as is yours @Sajid Amit ). I don't know how that affects the sound, but I'd assume yours has more power. I know mine is an older model.

I hear a big improvement in bass articulation with these Eat Dumpers on the 12au7 NOS which are very mic.

I have some tube dampers that were included with some of the tubes I bought from a coworker. I need to give those a try too. Mine are just simple silicone O-rings. But when I'm just listening with HPs, there isn't much environmental noise like there would be when using speakers.

YuaE5vA.jpg

With my Primaluna HP after 30 minutes of warming up I no longer feel any improvement. Making expensive tubes rolling with NOS improved the sound in an impressive way.

For the first 30 minutes, I definitely get an improvement as it warms up. I'll have to see if I see more after a longer warmup as @Sajid Amit found. I certainly was enjoying the sound later in the day.

I use headphone output (7 Watt on 60 Ohmm).
Keep in mind that 8 EL34 have more grip and control over the low range than the 4. Maybe the difference between you and me is this. Furthermore, the use of Eat dumpers accentuates the control of harmonics. My 5 cents 🙂

Yes, that might be part of it.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #6,154 of 26,664
Long list at my end as well. Happy to compare notes. Hegel H390; Accuphase E480 and E380; Gryphon Diablo 300, a few other pass amps, the flagship Musical Fidelity integrated, all stood out. Parasound JC, the Anthem integrated, and a few McIntosh amps were fun too. Among lower-priced ones, I liked the Roksan K3. However, the XA25 just has this impossible blend between a tube’s spaciousness, body, and midrange, while having a solid state’s speed, resolution abilities, and overall, a solid bottom-end. I am working on a full review of Susvaras on different amps. I will share the link once its done!

That's quite a lineup. Looking forward to it! Any initial thoughts on XA25 vs your Primaluna (I think your tube complement is similar to mine)?

Jan 15, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #6,156 of 26,664
Long list at my end as well. Happy to compare notes. Hegel H390; Accuphase E480 and E380; Gryphon Diablo 300, a few other pass amps, the flagship Musical Fidelity integrated, all stood out. Parasound JC, the Anthem integrated, and a few McIntosh amps were fun too. Among lower-priced ones, I liked the Roksan K3. However, the XA25 just has this impossible blend between a tube’s spaciousness, body, and midrange, while having a solid state’s speed, resolution abilities, and overall, a solid bottom-end. I am working on a full review of Susvaras on different amps. I will share the link once its done!
Looks like I will be able to check the Pass XP12/XA25 combo next week. I'm so eager to listen to it Also I will check once more Hegel H390, this time not an hour-long session, which is way too short, but a convenient party at home.

Jan 15, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #6,157 of 26,664
With tubes you need patience, time and a certain amount of money to test.
With SS, everything is simpler with fewer unexpected events. But less fun.
You've got that right @Marco59!
I was up til 5:30AM with my new Bigger Ben tube amp trying various input, output and power tubes paired with the susvara.
None sounded bad, not even the new production JJ KT88 and Tung Sol 5AR4, 6SL7, and I haven't even tried the GEC KT88. I think the BB will drive the susvara nicely and it pairs easily with the VO and Empy. Last night was the first time I have listened to any hp other the susvara in a week, and while they sounded very nice and had a bit more bass, I have become a HUGE fan of the subtleties and detail I get form the susvara. Hard to say if I'll keep all 3 long term.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #6,158 of 26,664
You've got that right @Marco59!
I was up til 5:30AM with my new Bigger Ben tube amp trying various input, output and power tubes paired with the susvara.
None sounded bad, not even the new production JJ KT88 and Tung Sol 5AR4, 6SL7, and I haven't even tried the GEC KT88. I think the BB will drive the susvara nicely and it pairs easily with the VO and Empy. Last night was the first time I have listened to any hp other the susvara in a week, and while they sounded very nice and had a bit more bass, I have become a HUGE fan of the subtleties and detail I get form the susvara. Hard to say if I'll keep all 3 long term.
You are not the only Susvara fan here!😄
This headphone scales impressively with all the quality amps out there.
It is an interesting and rewarding exploration.

Jan 15, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #6,159 of 26,664
Your tube complement is quite different on your Primaluna than mine, so I think yours is very different from mine (as is yours @Sajid Amit ). I don't know how that affects the sound, but I'd assume yours has more power. I know mine is an older model.

I have some tube dampers that were included with some of the tubes I bought from a coworker. I need to give those a try too. Mine are just simple silicone O-rings. But when I'm just listening with HPs, there isn't much environmental noise like there would be when using speakers.

YuaE5vA.jpg

For the first 30 minutes, I definitely get an improvement as it warms up. I'll have to see if I see more after a longer warmup as @Sajid Amit found. I certainly was enjoying the sound later in the day.

Yeah, that’s what it is. When I listen to it in the morning, on my Auteur, I find a lack of stage, the sound is too forward, and and the bass is all right. By late afternoon, the stage opens up, and dynamics improve considerably.

Yes, that might be part of it.
Looks like I will be able to check the Pass XP12/XA25 combo next week. I'm so eager to listen to it Also I will check once more Hegel H390, this time not an hour-long session, which is way too short, but a convenient party at home.
Look forward to your impressions!

Jan 15, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #6,161 of 26,664
That's quite a lineup. Looking forward to it! Any initial thoughts on XA25 vs your Primaluna (I think your tube complement is similar to mine)?
I haven’t yet used the Susvaras off the speaker tap, Donato, on the PrimaLunas. I had initially bought the PrimaLunas for the Auteur. I still have to get my hands on the resistor box (en route to me) or just DIY one. But off the HP tap, the midrange is excessively highlighted on the PrimaLuna + Susvara, IMO, at the expense of higher frequencies. However, with the Auteur, once sufficiently warmed up, the PrimaLunas deliver a commanding performance. The only HP that is getting listening time, other than the Susvara, is the Arya. I will most likely sell my D8000 and almost certainly, the Diana V2.

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #6,162 of 26,664
I haven’t yet used the Susvaras off the speaker tap, Donato, on the PrimaLunas. I had initially bought the PrimaLunas for the Auteur. I still have to get my hands on the resistor box (en route to me) or just DIY one. But off the HP tap, the midrange is excessively highlighted on the PrimaLuna + Susvara, IMO, at the expense of higher frequencies. However, with the Auteur, once sufficiently warmed up, the PrimaLunas deliver a commanding performance. The only HP that is getting listening time, other than the Susvara, is the Arya. I will most likely sell my D8000 and almost certainly, the Diana V2.

Sajid, can you help me manage my expectations?

Will my brand new Susvara to come close/surpass to the Arya soundstage size and PRaT (which became almost ridiculous good after I upgraded to May KTE DAC), after proper break-in, and (speaker-) amp amplification upgrade from my current A90 amp?

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #6,163 of 26,664
Sajid, can you help me manage my expectations?

Will my brand new Susvara to come close/surpass to the Arya soundstage size and PRaT (which became almost ridiculous good after I upgraded to May KTE DAC), after proper break-in, and (speaker-) amp amplification upgrade from my current A90 amp?

Yes. The Susvaras will be a noticeable improvement on the Aryas, on both counts: SS and PRaT. The Susvara SS off a good speaker amp, has to be heard to be believed.

By the way, I had a non-audiophile friend A/B the Arya and the Susvaras the other day. He listened to his favorite Pink Floyd tracks off the Arya and was blown away. Then he moved to the Susvaras and promptly forgot he was there to A/B, and kept listening to music, one track after another.

Once finished, I asked him what he thought. He replied simply that the music had come alive “more” on the Susvaras.

But your question also bears out what a fabulous job Hifiman did with the Aryas. I know one more Susvara owner, other than me, who has kept his Arya.

I like the Arya’s slightly more forward sound signature, for a change.

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #6,164 of 26,664
Yes. The Susvaras will be a noticeable improvement on the Aryas, on both counts: SS and PRaT. The Susvara SS off a good speaker amp, has to be heard to be believed.

By the way, I had a non-audiophile friend A/B the Arya and the Susvaras the other day. He listened to his favorite Pink Floyd tracks off the Arya and was blown away. Then he moved to the Susvaras and promptly forgot he was there to A/B, and kept listening to music, one track after another.

Once finished, I asked him what he thought. He replied simply that the music had come alive “more” on the Susvaras.

But your question also bears out what a fabulous job Hifiman did with the Aryas. I know one more Susvara owner, other than me, who has kept his Arya.

Spot on.

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #6,165 of 26,664

Thanks. I am already loving the Sus, and it way too early to draw any conclusions, but I rather have realistic expectations.

At this moment, my Sus is only 2 days old and the A90 is nice, extremely impressive VFM, but mid focused and as a result quite dense in presentation with the Sus, especially in comparison to a extremely well broken-in Arya. I do miss the openness and speed of the Arya at this moment. No surprise here, I expected this to happen, others have reported this. (I bloody read almost everything in this thread :sweat_smile:)

Still, it is good to know what I am looking for when my journey with the Susvara progresses, I appreciate your feedback.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back