HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 6, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #406 of 25,607
^

Very interesting, it does show that the Susvara and HEK do derive a lot of their "euphonic" sound from very long harmonic decay but with a very light/thin composite material driver, which while not technically an accurate representation of the sound, does add a special flavor to the sound that you wouldn't normally get from a dynamic driver, which sounds terrible when they have poor decay characteristics because the metal driver is flexing/bending and ringing like a cowbell.

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #407 of 25,607
^

Very interesting, it does show that the Susvara and HEK do derive a lot of their "euphonic" sound from very long harmonic decay but with a very light/thin composite material driver, which while not technically an accurate representation of the sound, does add a special flavor to the sound that you wouldn't normally get from a dynamic driver, which sounds terrible when they have poor decay characteristics because the metal driver is flexing/bending and ringing like a cowbell.
You are not a fan of Dynamic driver ? There is something called Electrostatic, and it is totally "obtainable" a Stax 009+Carbon/BHS/GG at the SusVara pricing. I did And you can see my avatar

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #408 of 25,607
Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Aug 7, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #409 of 25,607
I felt similar in my comparison, the problem is price. Not that there is not a nich market for it, nor why folks wouldn't buy it. But tuning I think has its limitations and trade offs. While warmth of the low end enhances realism of the rest of the spectrum, a little of speed and detail is traded off. It's funny that the more I read reviews there are rarely any thing wrong with what's being reviewed. For these prices to succeed for me, 4000 and up, an unbelievable perfection would have to exist. So far I have not heard this, although I'm a neophyte and will try and wait to see what gets realized in the coming years.

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #410 of 25,607
It is sad to see the pricing just have to come to this. Hell, for more than 4K, I would start comparing the Headphones against speakers for review. I don't care if people call me not being fair....etc....etc....the fact is that a pair of good Loud speakers that can outperform these are easily in the same pricing bracket (or less if you are into DIY). Fair or not ? Let the people as the end consumer decide

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #412 of 25,607
You are not a fan of Dynamic driver ? There is something called Electrostatic, and it is totally "obtainable" a Stax 009+Carbon/BHS/GG at the SusVara pricing. I did And you can see my avatar

Stax headphones can't compete with full sized planars with tonality or bass. The only electrostatic that can is the MrSpeakers Ether E, and that's not even available yet.

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #413 of 25,607
Stax headphones can't compete with full sized planars with tonality or bass. The only electrostatic that can is the MrSpeakers Ether E, and that's not even available yet.

This is a complete misconception. Get yourself an 007 or 009 and a Carbon and come back and say that.

My 007MK1 with a Carbon has better bass and tonality than my LCD-4 and V281 combo.

Aug 8, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #414 of 25,607
This is a complete misconception. Get yourself an 007 or 009 and a Carbon and come back and say that.

My 007MK1 with a Carbon has better bass and tonality than my LCD-4 and V281 combo.

Everyone who said that "Stax lacks of bass", has never heard KG amps with Stax...just any, not only 007-009. This "misconception of a myth" just kept on being repeated over and over by people who just passing it on, or really never heard Stax with Kg amps. I like bass, and to say Stax be lacking of it is "insane"

Aug 8, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #415 of 25,607
Everyone keeps carrying on about Kev's amps. Where do you buy them?
I remember someone suggesting on another thread a while ago that a member should get Kevin to build him one of his amps. Kevin then promptly chimed in with a 'hell no'. So I can understand why people haven't had a chance to hear one. To get a Carbon or a T2 it seems like you get them from the same store as unicorns.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #416 of 25,607
BHSE is one of KG design that is being commercially produced by Headamp, and it is more readily available as the amp kept rolling out and purchased by the people, and it had been a couple years now. You may be able to see it at shows, and occasionally being listed for sale here and there as people would upgrade it to KG T2 or if they are moving away from Stax.

Other KG amps, you can only Build it by yourself (DIY) or commission someone (builder) to make it for you.

Technologically speaking, Orthodynamic was made by the ES "inspiration".

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #417 of 25,607
It is sad to see the pricing just have to come to this. Hell, for more than 4K, I would start comparing the Headphones against speakers for review. I don't care if people call me not being fair....etc....etc....the fact is that a pair of good Loud speakers that can outperform these are easily in the same pricing bracket (or less if you are into DIY). Fair or not ? Let the people as the end consumer decide

Well the reason some people chose headphones or has HP as compliment to speaker is not only about best bang for the buck sound. Limited area space and concerns about other people that doesn’t fancy listing to music at high volume (or some type of music) in the evening are some aspect there listening to headphones can be the only social sustainable solution.

Aug 8, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #418 of 25,607
Well the reason some people chose headphones or has HP as compliment to speaker is not only about best bang for the buck sound. Limited area space and concerns about other people that doesn’t fancy listing to music at high volume (or some type of music) in the evening are some aspect there listening to headphones can be the only social sustainable solution.

That will be decided by the people, practicality and performances. Everything has it boundaries, and when you step over it, it is only fair to treat it as such. For example, with 50K, you can totally build an acoustic room in the basement with a Doped Up loud speaker system....or you can head for Hi-fiMan Sangrila, your choices.....if it can even compete with the loud speakers setup in an acoustic room that is.

Aug 8, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #419 of 25,607
That will be decided by the people, practicality and performances. Everything has it boundaries, and when you step over it, it is only fair to treat it as such. For example, with 50K, you can totally build an acoustic room in the basement with a Doped Up loud speaker system....or you can head for Hi-fiMan Sangrila, your choices.....if it can even compete with the loud speakers setup in an acoustic room that is.

I'd say that there's no competition really as headphones are simply as different from loudspeakers as it gets. Personally I spend as much time with cans as with my nearfield boxes and I'm having a blast with both.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Aug 8, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #420 of 25,607
I remember someone suggesting on another thread a while ago that a member should get Kevin to build him one of his amps. Kevin then promptly chimed in with a 'hell no'. So I can understand why people haven't had a chance to hear one. To get a Carbon or a T2 it seems like you get them from the same store as unicorns.

http://www.mjolnir-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back