HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 10, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #23,311 of 25,686
I am happy with my dave....I have heard the EF1000 years ago with the susvara I do not remember it as good as my envy at the moment but of course that was years ago...I know there is always better but the law of diminishing returns has to set in at some point my aging ears will not be able to distinguish lol..for the record I am NOT suggesting the envy is better than the EF1000...only that we are getting to the point or I am where it is subjective preference more than better..

I wouldn't call switching systems on those levels as better, more like, slightly tweaking how Susvara sounds every season for example. More like tonal shifts than an actual improvement in resolution or soundstage in this case

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #23,312 of 25,686
I have owned 2 susvara's and have just recently come to appreciate how truly spectacular this HP is...I first realized when I got a bakoon 13r and the moved on to the CFA3 which gives the susvara a muscular sound I had never hear...now with my newly acquired Felks envy with upgraded tubes I fully appreciate how special this HP is,in fact I marvel as I listen many times...yes it is a great HP even with lesser equipment but with the right combination of source and amp it simply gets better and better...I am not sure how much better it can get but who knows it just keeps getting better
This and @Bonesy Jonesy and @orrman ‘s chain/situations are ‘envy’able indeed. I’m telling myself ‘slow and steady’ - @theveterans’ suggested path is likely going to be the way this audiophile goes - for now. Any of these others are very appealing but I also have a roof to fix this year, and WAF comes into the picture too (‘she’s just not that into it’ would be an understatement). As my old Psych prof once said ‘each man’s legs only need to be long enough to reach the ground’. ‘YMMV’ is the best adage I have learned in this forum- implied in this is also ‘YPBMV’ where PB= pocketbook. But we can all still aspire to better sound (subjectively to our own ears) learn from others further down the path than we are, enjoy the companionship, and travel hopefully.

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #23,313 of 25,686
can now live happily with the Mass Kobo 465 as my daily driver amp for Susvara (full chain in my signature, used with DHC Chimera interconnects and headphone cable). In numbers 2-3 as my next selections would be Riviera AIC10 (just sold mine last week)
What made you sell the Riviera for the 465? Haven't heard the mass kobo yet, so really curious.

Also: were you running Susvara off the speaker taps of the Riviera? And which tube was your favorite?

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #23,314 of 25,686
Looking for speaker amp advice vis-à-vis driving Susvara (not specifically from @AussieMick, also from other thread regulars/Sus owners).

As I’ve noted before, my current driver chain for Susvaras is Roon (from a dedicated Mac-Air, eventually will replace with a Sonore server when it dies)-> Sonore Optical Rendu->Yggdrasil OG->Burson 3XGT 2023 + SPO2 powermodule. Power is from a dedicated line and power is clean/adequately conditioned IMO). SQ for Sus on this chain is good, bass is textured and impactful, mids/treble are smooth but detailed. Blackground is good. Soundstage and imaging are good/not great- images for the most part float just in front of me. More expansive soundstage is my main goal for changes in the chain

Plan is to add a Freya+ with upgraded matched gain tubes, eg. Tungsol VT-231, Redbase 5692s- this Spring.

Question here is re : speaker amp: I have strongly considered AHB2, which most reviewers report as having great dynamics, imaging and detail retrieval and that other elements of coloration will be transmitted faithfully from DAC/pre-amp, and to pair will with Sus. Some report mids/lower treble thin and lifeless (though most also stat that this is probably attributable in most circumstances to other elements upstream in the chain especially DAC/pre-amp used). I will be using in the context of middle/high gain setting on AHB2, and using an NL4-XLR cable out. Alternately to Freya+ (when solid state pre-amp is preferred) I’ll use the 3xGT as a preamp, which has pre-outs. Cost of AHB2 new is $3500 USD (probably I’d buy new so I could use the 30-day return if I don’t like what I'm hearing).

The alternative is a pair of Schiit Aegir monoblocks, cost new from Schiit currently (as they are being discontinued) is $1400/pair. Reviewers find the Aegir monos similar to Class A “lit from within” sound re mids/treble with good bass extension/texture/impact, i.e. mids and treble tonality is good. Dynamics, imaging and clarity will likely be not QUITE as good as AHB2. I have seen the SineCraft and NewRecordDay YTs on this, so I know it's been done for Susvaras.

I’m not picking up any big difference of reviewer opinion for the 2 alternatives (AHB2 vs Aegirs) on soundstage — most that I am reading report that both AHB2 and Aegirs transmit that which is fed to them upstream from the rest of the chain, and that this also applies to staging information.

I don’t yet have funds available to purchase the AHB2 now, I’d need to save up for that. The Aegirs I could afford, BUT will soon be unavailable from Schiit as they are being phased out, and thus may have good resale value once they are gone (plus there is the 15 day return window to Schiit IIRC). If I do not purchase Aegir monos, the AHB2 is (obviously) not the only option for alternatives- I realize there are many other speaker amps out there that may drive Susvaras very well as well as alternative HP amps eg. CFA3. If I let the Aegirs go, there will be plenty of time/opportunity to read up on other options while I am saving up.

Consider too that my budget ceiling for alternatives is $4k (I know there are many other options in the $8-15K region). Thoughts?
People’s suggestions so far are brilliant. If you’re not in a position to get to a dealer to try, then relying on the returns window is your best option. I’ve not heard the Aegir, but reviews seem to suggest it’s a bit of a bargain. 15 days is easily enough to know if it’s an improvement on your current set up or not. And also if that improvement pushes in the direction you like. Keep them powered on the whole time, running music 24/7.
The AHB2 is loved by many and well worth a try in the future.

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #23,315 of 25,686
I am happy with my dave....I have heard the EF1000 years ago with the susvara I do not remember it as good as my envy at the moment but of course that was years ago...I know there is always better but the law of diminishing returns has to set in at some point my aging ears will not be able to distinguish lol..for the record I am NOT suggesting the envy is better than the EF1000...only that we are getting to the point or I am where it is subjective preference more than better..
I tried the Envy last year with the Susvara. I don't know what tubes it was driving, but it's performance wasn't even close to my EF1000 (that is still fitted with the factory tubes) !

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #23,316 of 25,686
After chasing and upgrading my system over the last two years of owning Susvara, and trying iirc 15 amps, I'm at a point where I feel I heard everything I needed to hear, owned and tried everything that was interesting for me to try, and can now live happily with the Mass Kobo 465 as my daily driver amp for Susvara (full chain in my signature, used with DHC Chimera interconnects and headphone cable). In numbers 2-3 as my next selections would be Riviera AIC10 (just sold mine last week) and Woo Audio WA23. These three amps to me beat all the regular other contenders for top spot. I'm at peace and hifi endgame for Susvara. I can now turn my gear addiction and optimization to a tube amp for my other headphones and continuing upgrading my 2ch, analog, and digital source gear.
Did you try the Hifiman EF1000 as part of your marathon 15 amp trying with your Susvara ? If not, you should !

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #23,317 of 25,686
I tried the Envy last year with the Susvara. I don't know what tubes it was driving, but it's performance wasn't even close to my EF1000 (that is still fitted with the factory tubes) !
I am using the WE300b upgraded tubes and it sounds glorious...I am glad you like your EF1000 better...different strokes

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #23,318 of 25,686
Hardly. Acoustical transducers - no matter how high end - will inevitably be the bottleneck in any system. I understand the idea of 'scalability' makes many enthusiasts feel better about their chosen headphones (it is related to the 'amp-upmanship' mentioned earlier in the thread). However, the sad truth is that even the best headphones reproduce the source signal rather poorly compared with the electronics of the system.
You said a whole bunch of nothing...please extend the explaination I am really trying to understand you.

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #23,319 of 25,686
What made you sell the Riviera for the 465? Haven't heard the mass kobo yet, so really curious.
The 465 wins on detail level, timbre and general realism with what is probably the best texture I've ever heard in a headphone amp. The Riviera can definitely be tuned more fun sounding and grand sounding with some lush Italian spice to its house sound but a combination of events led me to deciding on the Japanese marvel. I would easily and happily live with either as my endgame amp for life if I did not have a chance to compare for myself.
Also: were you running Susvara off the speaker taps of the Riviera? And which tube was your favorite?
Yes using a DHC Prion4 adapter. I rotated regularly between G73R, french made Mazda and Brimar CV4003 mostly. Had a chance to briefly hear Tungsram, JJ and Mullard M8136.
Did you try the Hifiman EF1000 as part of your marathon 15 amp trying with your Susvara ? If not, you should !
Never tried it, perhaps one day.

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #23,321 of 25,686
People’s suggestions so far are brilliant. If you’re not in a position to get to a dealer to try, then relying on the returns window is your best option. I’ve not heard the Aegir, but reviews seem to suggest it’s a bit of a bargain. 15 days is easily enough to know if it’s an improvement on your current set up or not. And also if that improvement pushes in the direction you like. Keep them powered on the whole time, running music 24/7.
The AHB2 is loved by many and well worth a try in the future.
Thanks - I think today’s interaction has convinced me to ‘stay the course’ and save my pennies for the AHB2. I’m sure the Aegirs are very good. Still thinking about the tube pre-amp though- another day ;O)

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #23,322 of 25,686
Me personally, I'd take a SET amp over SS anyday for $1500. Makes Susvara sound like a grand concert-hall with its spooky mids and vocals but I know many people would want to get hit like a freight train with a $1500 SS than the jaw-dropping soundstage/layering/imaging of a $1500 SET amp
Oh I'll bite, what kind amp makes them sound like a concert hall? I definitely haven’t heard them sound like that before 0_o. Also kind of amp are you driving the Sus with?

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #23,323 of 25,686
Oh I'll bite, what kind amp makes them sound like a concert hall? I definitely haven’t heard them sound like that before 0_o. Also kind of amp are you driving the Sus with?

How does Susvara sound to you BTW?

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #23,324 of 25,686
Sus infinite scaling memes do be true

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #23,325 of 25,686
Im going to buy two headphones; one for classical and acoustic music (Susvara) and one that is more impactful and tactile (foot tapping and fun).
What headphone would you recommend to go along with the Susvara?
I likes Caldera but maybe its to alike the Susvara?
Utopia 22?
Atrium, verite etc is to dark for me.
I would suggest the T+A Solitaire P, I also own the TC, and of course the Susvara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back