HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 4, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #19,576 of 25,959
Jan 4, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #19,577 of 25,959
Jan 4, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #19,578 of 25,959
I have been an EQ skeptic for years, I avoided them like the plague and kind of shunned reviewers who spoke of buying HP's knowing they needed EQ...I read all sorts of positive things about Mitch's convolution filters and decided to try them with my sr1a and it was a revelation,simply stunning...my appreciation of the filter with the sr1a led me to decide to add the filter to my susvara and abyss TC..thus far I think the susvara is almost as revelatory as the sr1a is...the abyss is outstanding but more subtle and I assume that has something to do with the design and the fact that changes in the frame can itself bring on so many changes...anyway,highly highly recommended and worth the money

Jan 4, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #19,579 of 25,959
Oh wow just found out. $225 for just Susvara filters... ouch!

Jan 4, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #19,580 of 25,959
I have been an EQ skeptic for years, I avoided them like the plague and kind of shunned reviewers who spoke of buying HP's knowing they needed EQ...I read all sorts of positive things about Mitch's convolution filters and decided to try them with my sr1a and it was a revelation,simply stunning...my appreciation of the filter with the sr1a led me to decide to add the filter to my susvara and abyss TC..thus far I think the susvara is almost as revelatory as the sr1a is...the abyss is outstanding but more subtle and I assume that has something to do with the design and the fact that changes in the frame can itself bring on so many changes...anyway,highly highly recommended and worth the money
No eq gang rec'ing convolution. lol

Any reason you shunned his LCD5 filter but tried the others¿

Jan 4, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #19,581 of 25,959
convolution is a way to reshape a signal (usually without losing "information"), and in this case it's being used to move around information from one frequency to another one to perform EQ, much like parametric EQ, or any other digital EQ, it can just be tailored at a more granular level than most EQ mechanisms.

Thanks. I understand it does some kind of filtering like parametric EQ does, but just wanted to understand the qualitative difference. Where parametric EQ filters increase or decrease certain frequencies’ amplitude (volume), what does convolution EQ do quantitatively? Just seeking to understand intuitively what it achieves… 🙏😊

Is this convolution filter for Susvara something we can download from somewhere? (I wonder if it will work with Roon?)

Jan 4, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #19,582 of 25,959
Thanks. I understand it does some kind of filtering like parametric EQ does, but just wanted to understand the qualitative difference. Where parametric EQ filters increase or decrease certain frequencies’ amplitude (volume), what does convolution EQ do quantitatively? Just seeking to understand intuitively what it achieves… 🙏😊

Is this convolution filter for Susvara something we can download from somewhere? (I wonder if it will work with Roon?)
I tried yesterday with the Susvara on Roon, it works, sounds more relaxed, lean back not in your face
here you can download the wav files https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq
files for the Susvara https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/HIFIMAN Susvara
just Zip both files into one zipfile and select in roon convolution filter

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #19,583 of 25,959
Amazing!

Ate these filters downloadable somewhere? Would they work with Roon?

Hey where can these filters be downloaded mate?

If you're referring to Mitch's convolution filters, they do indeed work with roon, and are downloadable, but I think such questions about where they might be downloaded, and what they about are best directed to Mitch himself via e-mail at : "Mitch Barnett" <mitch@accuratesound.ca>.

He'll have more technical and purchase info about convolutions for the Abyss 1266 TC, the LCD-5, the Sennheiser HD 800, and also about his "Hang Loose Convolver' as well (In addition to answers about the Susvara convokutions0

Again Mitch is reachable at the following e-mail address, and he typically responds fairly quickly (i.e. within 24 hours or less):

"Mitch Barnett" <mitch@accuratesound.ca>

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #19,584 of 25,959
I tried yesterday with the Susvara on Roon, it works, sounds more relaxed, lean back not in your face
files for the Susvara https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/HIFIMAN Susvara

Thank you!

If you're referring to Mitch's convolution filters, they do indeed work with roon, and are downloadable, but I think such questions about where they might be downloaded, and what they about are best directed to Mitch himself via e-mail at : "Mitch Barnett" <mitch@accuratesound.ca>.

He'll have more technical and purchase info about convolutions for the Abyss 1266 TC, the LCD-5, the Sennheiser HD 800, and also about his "Hang Loose Convolver' as well (In addition to answers about the Susvara convokutions0

Again Mitch is reachable at the following e-mail address, and he typically responds fairly quickly (i.e. within 24 hours or less):

"Mitch Barnett" <mitch@accuratesound.ca>

Thank you!

Jan 4, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #19,586 of 25,959
These aren't the filters they are talking about. These are the oratory1990 EQ.

Jan 4, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #19,587 of 25,959
Thank you!

Thank you!
I was referring to the one below. In my experience, the Oratory one doesn’t sound good. You have to pay for Mitch’s filter. It‘s using a different method, essentially it taps into thousands of EQ bands (e.g. an increment of 0.7 Hz adjustments, at least this is what he told me), and his method is never adding gain to each tap, but instead reducing gain of adjacent frequency bands to get the desired effect.

https://accuratesound.ca/store/#filter

The github filters are equalized to Harman whereas Mitch’s filters are either flat, bass accentuated or bass and treble accentuated.

Jan 4, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #19,588 of 25,959
yea, the couple of times I tried Oratory profiles I didn't like them.. so I guess my target is bit different than Harman. Thanks for clarifying

Jan 4, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #19,589 of 25,959
No eq gang rec'ing convolution. lol

Any reason you shunned his LCD5 filter but tried the others¿
I decided to sell my lcd-5...too many HP's lol

Jan 4, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #19,590 of 25,959
All this convolution Filter talk piqued my interest.
Now I was looking at his Meze Empyrean filters and their measurements showed a huge (-6db) roll off in the subbass which they corrected with the Filter.

I've never seen that rolloff on other measurement sites.

Do the base measurements of Susvara and other headphones also deviate so much from well known measurements?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back