HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 27, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #19,426 of 26,687
Dec 27, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #19,427 of 26,687
Let's not. There are plenty of threads in the Music section of the site for that purpose.
Mostly are too general. Why not just share music that can expose, bring out Susvara's at its best?

0.2 cents

Dec 27, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #19,428 of 26,687
One had hoped that the message that Susvara is difficult to drive and requires both good and powerful amplification was known by now. But no the same "I can play loud enough so my amp must be optimal for Susvara" is repeated over and over again instead of listning to or reading over 1000 posts here or in HE6 thread who have owned and tested many different amps.

Agree, it's frustrating. Unlike other threads, you can't even get an idea of what the Susvara even I'llsounds like by reading posts because it's just a constant amplifier debate or matching thread. But I've given up and just no longer come back to it much lol
Yet ahb2 owners have moved on to a puny 10k usd 2w amp. Wasn't the ahb2 objectively and subjectively transparent beyond hearing acuity and one of the few that can feed the current hungry,power hungry Susvara? Hmm.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #19,429 of 26,687
If you didn't like the Elites you definitely won't like the Empyreans. The Elites were an improvement in just about every way to my ears. Neither can touch the Susvara's
unless you do not have a proper amp to drive the susvara properly in that case some may prefer the elite...given a proper amp as you said no comparison

Dec 27, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #19,431 of 26,687
I bet if you try a TOTL SACD Transporter linked to a TOTL DAC (i.e. a CH Precision D1.5 Transporter linked with CH USB cable to the CH Precision C1.2 DAC as an example) and play a high quality SACD disc it will trounce any Streamer currently made today ! It may even beat a TOTL TT analogue system !
It is with great sadness that I report this is proving to be 100% true.

I've been testing normal CDs and SACDs for the past couple of days using my old Wadia CD player from 1998, along with a friend's 18k Esoteric SACD stack. The results aren't even close; SACDs, and in some cases regular CDs, seem to destroy streamed and locally stored digital files quite handily. The staging and imaging in particular are so much better and things tend to sound a bit "tighter" overall. Streamed files especially felt quite "flat" and 2-dimensional by comparison.

The obvious problems are that SACD seems to be a dead/dying format, while streaming is quite the opposite. Streaming is also infinitely more convenient. Are there any SACD lovers out there that can speak to sourcing and availability of modern releases? Do labels still make SACDs? Buying into SACD as a format seems more than a bit foolish at this point, but the bump in both quality and performance is undeniable.

Needless to say, I'm going to stay far away from vinyl. CDs seem to be a better "middle ground" choice.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #19,432 of 26,687

I've been testing normal CDs and SACDs for the past couple of days using my old Wadia CD player from 1998, along with a friend's 18k Esoteric SACD stack. The results aren't even close; SACDs, and in some cases regular CDs, seem to destroy streamed and locally stored digital files quite handily. The staging and imaging in particular are so much better and things tend to sound a bit "tighter" overall. Streamed files especially felt quite "flat" and 2-dimensional by comparison.

The obvious problems are that SACD seems to be a dead/dying format, while streaming is quite the opposite. Streaming is also infinitely more convenient. Are there any SACD lovers out there that can speak to sourcing and availability of modern releases? Do labels still make SACDs? Buying into SACD as a format seems more than a bit foolish at this point, but the bump in both quality and performance is undeniable.

Needless to say, I'm going to stay far away from vinyl. CDs seem to be a better "middle ground" choice.
SACDs are dead. There are very few new releases each year (like very few). I have, um, "acquired" SACD rips, and I do think they sound better than the same album version you'll find on streaming services. This was really apparent with the Rolling Stones "Exile on Mainstreet." Like the SACD version sounded much better, and this was only a rip, not an actual SACD. I think it has something to do with the mastering in this case probably.

Dec 27, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #19,433 of 26,687
SACDs are dead. There are very few new releases each year (like very few). I have, um, "acquired" SACD rips, and I do think they sound better than the same album version you'll find on streaming services. This was really apparent with the Rolling Stones "Exile on Mainstreet." Like the SACD version sounded much better, and this was only a rip, not an actual SACD. I think it has something to do with the mastering in this case probably.
Welp, I guess that settles that. No point in falling any further down this rabbit hole.

I'm with you on the rips too. I also "acquired" SACD rips of CCR's discography and I was absolutely floored by how much better they sounded compared to the same 192kHz album stored locally on my server.

The further I go into this hobby the less I seem to know.

Dec 28, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #19,434 of 26,687
Welp, I guess that settles that. No point in falling any further down this rabbit hole.

I'm with you on the rips too. I also "acquired" SACD rips of CCR's discography and I was absolutely floored by how much better they sounded compared to the same 192kHz album stored locally on my server.

The further I go into this hobby the less I seem to know.
It really sucks that the general public doesn't care about sound quality. I was reading that's why SACDs died. Nobody cared that they sounded better. Same with the 5.1 sh!t, nobody cared about that. Personally, if I had the space, a nice audiophile grade 5.1 SACD setup would be mind-blowing. Back in the day I got some 5.1 Astro gaming headset and listened to NIN's "The Downward Spiral" in 5.1 and it blew my mind.

I'm glad streaming services offer hi-res content. Though, part of me is afraid that will go away too, because the overwhelming majority of people are fine with 320kbps and Spotify. Let's hope not

Dec 28, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #19,435 of 26,687

Maybe not exactly what you had in mind, but DSD files are still available and there are a few record companies like MoFi release SACDs on the regular. I've got quite a few titles I downloaded, and probably 50+ SACDs that I intend to rip.

You can find files at HDTracks, and new SACDs and AcousticSounds and Music Direct. And then there is eBay for old ones.

Mastering surely makes a difference, but DSD/SACD sounds the way it does because of the format itself, which operates quite differently from PCM CD. DSD has perfect low-level linearity, and zero digital filters. DSD128 is even better, but that is more of a studio format and there are few releases.

I personally think that it is a worthwhile rabbit-hole as a lot of these are the absolute best digital versions that exist, and under the right circumstances can rival analog at it's own game. The only time I've ever heard digital sound almost identical to analog was with DSD, but I don't get that effect with every system.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #19,436 of 26,687
unless you do not have a proper amp to drive the susvara properly in that case some may prefer the elite...given a proper amp as you said no comparison
Very true, both Meze headphones are much easier to drive and will sound their best out of just about anything. This is not the case with the Susvara’s. The Susvara’s deserve the best chain you can give it.

Dec 28, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #19,437 of 26,687
Maybe not exactly what you had in mind, but DSD files are still available and there are a few record companies like MoFi release SACDs on the regular. I've got quite a few titles I downloaded, and probably 50+ SACDs that I intend to rip.
I obviously knew PCM vs DSD was a thing, but I didn't have a clue about the details. Guess I need to source some DSD files and do some A/B testing against PCM to see if there is a worthwhile difference in my rig. I also just spent the past 30-45 min Googling for DSD files and the download selection appears to be equally as depressing. I guess it's like @Ciggavelli said...most people just don't give a sh1t about high quality audio, making it hard for companies like MoFI to stay in business.

Out of curiosity, are there any programs you recommend specifically for ripping SACDs? Handbrake?

You can find files at HDTracks, and new SACDs and AcousticSounds and Music Direct. And then there is eBay for old ones.
Appreciate the call outs. HDTracks and Prostudiomasters seem like the best sources for DSD. Overall, the biggest challenge seems to be defining and executing a content allocation strategy. I can:
  1. Jump butt-first into SACDs and start allocating and ripping as many albums as possible.
  2. Try connecting with folks that already have SACDs to begin ripping and distributing files as a private community.
  3. Spin up some VM onion bots w/Mullvad and begin combing the dark corners of the internet for SACD rips.
Regardless, spending as much as I have on this audio rig then refusing to put in the work to get the absolute most out of it seems incredibly stupid.

Mastering surely makes a difference, but DSD/SACD sounds the way it does because of the format itself, which operates quite differently from PCM CD. DSD has perfect low-level linearity, and zero digital filters. DSD128 is even better, but that is more of a studio format and there are few releases.
Very good to know. I had no idea DSD was so different.

I personally think that it is a worthwhile rabbit-hole as a lot of these are the absolute best digital versions that exist, and under the right circumstances can rival analog at it's own game.
I definitely agree both in principle and theory. Perhaps it would be better to focus on curating a small collection of favorite albums in DSD and/or SACD and leave it at that.

The only time I've ever heard digital sound almost identical to analog was with DSD, but I don't get that effect with every system.
Wow. That is quite the endorsement. Seems I have more research and thinking to do. As always, thanks for the info and insight.

Dec 28, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #19,438 of 26,687
It really sucks that the general public doesn't care about sound quality. I was reading that's why SACDs died. Nobody cared that they sounded better. Same with the 5.1 sh!t, nobody cared about that. Personally, if I had the space, a nice audiophile grade 5.1 SACD setup would be mind-blowing.
Truer words have never been spoken, Cig. My hope is the industry will follow Apple, Amazon, et al. into the high quality audio market. A girl can dream, right?!?
Back in the day I got some 5.1 Astro gaming headset and listened to NIN's "The Downward Spiral" in 5.1 and it blew my mind.
I still love that album. Defined the times in many ways. Never heard it in 5.1 though. Guess I need to fire up the Smyth Realiser and give it a listen.
I'm glad streaming services offer hi-res content. Though, part of me is afraid that will go away too, because the overwhelming majority of people are fine with 320kbps and Spotify. Let's hope not
Great, now I have shrinkage over streaming lol. Sounds like the only real option is to curate your own collection(s) and wait patiently for the next format to arrive so you can do it all over again.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #19,439 of 26,687
Truer words have never been spoken, Cig. My hope is the industry will follow Apple, Amazon, et al. into the high quality audio market. A girl can dream, right?!?

I still love that album. Defined the times in many ways. Never heard it in 5.1 though. Guess I need to fire up the Smyth Realiser and give it a listen.

Great, now I have shrinkage over streaming lol. Sounds like the only real option is to curate your own collection(s) and wait patiently for the next format to arrive so you can do it all over again.
I buy most of my flac albums. 1) because I think it sounds better locally and 2) I fear streaming services will delete the album (which has happened more than I’d like) or the services will close down and all will be lost

Users who are viewing this thread

Back