HIFIMAN Shangri-La: The New Electrostatic Headphones From HIFIMAN
Jan 11, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #556 of 1,057
  Any frequency range info without indicating the linearity range e.g. [0/-0.5dB] is worthless.
Maybe it's -20dB at 120kHz ? Interesting to check with a pet bat if it hears any differences
biggrin.gif

I would even say every frequency-response info without measuring diagram is (kind of) worthless – it could be just marketing speech.

However, a bandwidth as extended as this is an indication of ultra-fast reaction to transients, which is always a good thing and not to be underestimated, independent of any ultrasonic content.

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #557 of 1,057
This is the way we build Shangri-La after I graduated from my PhD program/returned to China: We made one headphone sample per day, run-in for a month, test samples in high/low temperature and humid/dust situation. Then we do trouble-shooting. We made almost 1,000 headphones in the previous 5 years. Btw, I invest some money on our electrostatic headphone studio: dust-free, constant temperature and humidity.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jan 15, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #559 of 1,057
«SL impressions», what is that?

...Got it in hindsight: must mean Shangri-La impressions.

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #560 of 1,057
I accidentally came upon the Shangri-la headphones at CES in 2016. Without knowing what they where I gave them a listen.  Easily the best sound I have ever heard outside of a $500K+ Continuum Audio Labs room.  Once I heard them I actually spent quite a bit of time with them.  The clarity and sound stage are far beyound anything I had ever heard from phones before. They are really amazing. (I haven't heard the Orpheus system yet.)  I really hope the tech that makes these sound so good trickles down to something more affordable.  $1500 phones and IEMs paired with the right amp and source are phenomenal, far above what the general public listens to.  The difference between these high end setups and $200 cans is dramatic.  As hard as it is to believe, there is as much difference between our audiophile setups and the 2016 Shangri-las.  There is so much more in the music to be revealed.  You really have to hear it to believe it.  As for the price, for me the Shangri-las might as well be  $35k or $200k. It really doesn't matter as I will only ever be able to try them at shows.  As for build quality, the 2016 prototype headset did seem somewhat fragile.  Then again you probably aren't going to be running around the house with them on.

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #561 of 1,057
All those accolades could also apply to the Orpheus that I heard. Would be awesome if someone did a H2H 
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #562 of 1,057
  I accidentally came upon the Shangri-la headphones at CES in 2016. Without knowing what they where I gave them a listen.  Easily the best sound I have ever heard outside of a $500K+ Continuum Audio Labs room.  Once I heard them I actually spent quite a bit of time with them.  The clarity and sound stage are far beyound anything I had ever heard from phones before. They are really amazing. (I haven't heard the Orpheus system yet.)  I really hope the tech that makes these sound so good trickles down to something more affordable.  $1500 phones and IEMs paired with the right amp and source are phenomenal, far above what the general public listens to.  The difference between these high end setups and $200 cans is dramatic.  As hard as it is to believe, there is as much difference between our audiophile setups and the 2016 Shangri-las.  There is so much more in the music to be revealed.  You really have to hear it to believe it.  As for the price, for me the Shangri-las might as well be  $35k or $200k. It really doesn't matter as I will only ever be able to try them at shows.  As for build quality, the 2016 prototype headset did seem somewhat fragile.  Then again you probably aren't going to be running around the house with them on.

Would like to cpompare them with the Stax 009s and Carbon. I am getting to hear the HE-1 soon, so will report back. Even if the Hifi Man unit was as good I wouldn't buy it based on the build quality reports and owner posts of faulty returned HE1000s. The Senn HE-1 however is very well built according to those who have seen it in the flesh.

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #563 of 1,057

Would like to cpompare them with the Stax 009s and Carbon. I am getting to hear the HE-1 soon, so will report back. Even if the Hifi Man unit was as good I wouldn't buy it based on the build quality reports and owner posts of faulty returned HE1000s. The Senn HE-1 however is very well built according to those who have seen it in the flesh.

Positive on that.
The Orpheus 2 is a level above the HD800 and that is saying something. Given the HD800 price it's is not cheap but is still mass produced compared to the very small scale manufacturing of the Orpheus 2. There is simply nothing to nit pick on the built quality of Sennheiser's statement product.

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #564 of 1,057

Mm..just curious: what is the SL sound signature? Which of the current TOTL headphone is closest?

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #565 of 1,057

Hi Ben, and what about bass department?; did they manage to keep the deep bass they got with HIFIMAN 1000?
In electrostatic HPs it could be a rather difficult task ... 

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #566 of 1,057
As far as sound signature and bass its really hard to say because the Shangi-las are such a step above anything else I’ve heard.  
The more accurate and realistic the sound reproduction the less of a signature there is.  Things just sound real.  The same goes for the bass.  There is so much detail across the board that the low end has amazing separation and clarity along with plenty of mass.  I did listen to some EDM for a few minutes and that too translated extremely well.  Did it feel like I was standing in front of the mains at a rave, no.  Could I hear incredible detail throughout the signal - yes.  The better the cans, the more I want access to the masters to remix things.  NS10s are the curse of the Shangi-las.  I think Hifiman should probably send me a Shangi-la setup so I can do some more research.

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #568 of 1,057
Interesting. Seems like there's a real bifurcation of the high end. Seems like a small group who like Shangri-La seem to like the Edition 6 as well, and tend to think it's better than anything out there. Whereas a larger group seem to think the Shangri-La isn't all that, not as good as Stax SR-009 or Orpheus, and think the Edition 6 sounds horrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back