HIFIMAN Shangri-La: The New Electrostatic Headphones From HIFIMAN
Oct 16, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #481 of 1,090
I would like to know the price breakdown of the system - obviously the HiFiman portable player and dock are available separately, then I think they will more than likely have to start taking headphone only orders because why the hell not - if you designed the thing to specifically be directly compatible with Stax products, you obviously expect maybe Stax amp owners to buy the headphone or Stax headphone owners to buy the amp.  Then have they used $10k+ worth of interconnects and power cables and included that in the price?  I mean, JPS Labs recent exhibit at RMAF included an Abyss with cable upgrades, Woo mono block amps, dac, aftermarket power cables and interconnects - which was a complete system costing about $50k too.  But obviously you don't have to buy an Abyss in that configuration - you can have any of those components individually if they interest you.  If HFM doesn't sell the components separately (especially when they are specifically made to be Stax compatible) then I don't know what they're thinking.  A proper price breakdown of the individual components would be good.

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #482 of 1,090
Touche. The Shangri-La tube amp is just a regular estat amp. Nothing proprietary like the Sonoma or Orpheus. No custom DSP, etc Stax does have both sets but also separates.
So, there's no "reason" for them to not be available separately, especially if the headphone:amp price ratio is at best 3:1 or less.
So the only valid reason remains the economic one, when such a pricey amplifier wouldn't sell on its own.

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #483 of 1,090
I agree on the separable system. I thought the amplifier sounded quite good actually. I wasn't even aware that custom vacuum tubes were a thing, which is pretty neat. Perhaps it's because of those however that the price is higher than the headphones.

I'm also curious about the manufacturing process for the nano-scale components (e.g. the dust cover).

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #484 of 1,090
I agree on the separable system. I thought the amplifier sounded quite good actually. I wasn't even aware that custom vacuum tubes were a thing, which is pretty neat. Perhaps it's because of those however that the price is higher than the headphones.

I'm also curious about the manufacturing process for the nano-scale components (e.g. the dust cover).

You're right - I do recall Fang saying the tubes were VERY expensive.  So if you already own tubes that you are fond of, maybe they can sell the amp without tubes.

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #485 of 1,090

SR009 going for cheap used probably has a lot to do with manufacturing issues with channel balance and dubious warranty issues. If it didn't have those issues it would be worth more used since they aren't knocks on it's absolute sound performance.

A used SR-009 has at least been "screened" for driver imbalance and early failure, given a reputable seller. That's in its resale favor. The lack of transferrable warranty and proper out-of-warranty service is a nasty bugaboo, for sure -- but see how that doesn't stop buyers of OOP legends like the R10, Qualia, L3000, he90, etc.

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #487 of 1,090
Once again, more unsubstantiated input from someone who hasn't heard the product...

lolz

Um, I did?
It was a preproduction version but as far as I know, the sound hasn't changed much since then...

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #494 of 1,090
  Somewhat off topic but why are there no solid state electrostatic amps? I understand its high voltage (eg 650v) but still...

Wat? The majority of electrostatic amps are either all SS or SS / tube hybrid. The need for high voltage & high performance SS devices does prove problematic, however, as good examples of such devices have frequently gone out of production. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back