HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Sep 1, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #1,442 of 1,984
Unfortunately I never had the chance to listen to the HM801. ...

Hello

I got the opportunity 3 days ago to make a A-B comparison between the HM-801 and R2R2K red, both on the HD800SD, using a dozen of tracks that I know well.

The sound signature is very very similar, and the HM-801 is a bit more detailed / full in the medium range (have listen to jazz, vocals, and instrumental unplugged music). The rest seemed similar to me.
These feelings were also shared by the owner of the R2R2K, on pop style (Radiohead)

Therefore I think I will keep the 801.

This test was unfortunately done in an open area (pedestrian street), with a HD800SD that leaks a lot.
It would have been better to do it in a closed and quiet room (but covid-19 made it not possible).

Hope it helps

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #1,444 of 1,984
My hifiman r2r2k red died and I’m looking for a similar sounding replacement, hopefully for a better price and smoother operation. I’m thinking Cayin n6ii, n3pro, or hiby r6pro
If you decide for the cayin please keep me updated, how it is :wink:

Sep 7, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #1,446 of 1,984
Either cayin? I’m really hoping the n3pro is good
Yes I am sort of interested in them for the distant future, and especially with comparisons to the R2R from Hifiman.
Since you used to own the R2R, your opinion is of great value to me :)

Sep 7, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #1,447 of 1,984
Either cayin? I’m really hoping the n3pro is good

You are hoping that AK4493 DAC with Raytheon JAN6418 tubes sounds the same as PCM1702 R2R DAC? If I'm reading correctly between the lines, I think you already made up your mind and want to try tube DAP :wink:

Btw, if your R2R2k died, why not replace it under warranty?

Sep 7, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #1,448 of 1,984
Yes I am sort of interested in them for the distant future, and especially with comparisons to the R2R from Hifiman.
Since you used to own the R2R, your opinion is of great value to me :)

Thanks :p I'll try to do listening tests for all of them before I buy!

You are hoping that AK4493 DAC with Raytheon JAN6418 tubes sounds the same as PCM1702 R2R DAC? If I'm reading correctly between the lines, I think you already made up your mind and want to try tube DAP :wink:

Btw, if your R2R2k died, why not replace it under warranty?
I would love a tube dap :p

I think I'm chasing after something with a similar flavor. I felt the Red was natural yet realistic and detailed sounding with strong subbass that gave everything a style of body that didn't sound bloated. I read that the Hiby R6pro has a weighty quality to its sound, and it's actually currently on the top of my consideration list.

As for the warranty issue, I was shipped my unit without a receipt or any authentication for that manner, and I am unable to ship it to Hifiman for repair.

Sep 13, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #1,449 of 1,984
If you decide for the cayin please keep me updated, how it is :wink:
Got an n3pro! Between the n6ii and the n3pro, the n6ii is closer to the hifiman. the unit I tried had the T01 module. It is bodied and physical sounding without sacrificing micro detail. The n3pro is thicker and even more physical sounding, with a more intimate presentation and smoother, less detailed sound. Take “less detail” with a grain of salt, it’s just less “etched” sounding than either the n6ii or my memory of the hifiman. I think they are all on the same spectrum of sound style, physical and thick with good detail, with the hifiman being in between the two for thickness and detail, n6ii having the best detail but least thickness, and the n3pro being the thickest but also the smoothest. I’m pretty satisfied with the sound; however, one nightmare does come back to haunt me from the hifiman: the ui on the n3pro is clunky. I already completed hibylink and plan to exclusively use it that way, but otherwise, the navigation system is too limited on the n3pro alone, and getting to certain functions is a big hassle. Though hibylink is slow, at least it has the functions i need.

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #1,450 of 1,984
Hi everyone,
I'm using the newest fw but i recognized that i really love some of oldest fw. I can't remember which version i have installed. Someone who backed up all of version, could you send it to me? Thanks a lots. My email: vanquang2216@gmail.com
Very appreciate it.

Oct 26, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #1,451 of 1,984
Not necroing an old thread at all....
Found an ideal partner for the r2r2000 red - the now discontinued Audeze Sine DX, with a balanced cable. Similar to the r2r2000, it falls into a strange niche - an open backed portable planar. On high gain, the synergy is spectacular, the tonality of the 1702 and the speed of the planar are really special. Music drives, envelops and makes it impossible to be background noise. Oh and the battery life matches up wIth the comfort levels about 4 hours for each...
I also run a Aeon closed which also sounds good, just not quite as sympatico - that sounds better from a desktop.

Worth checking out.

Oct 27, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #1,452 of 1,984
I have my own R2R2000 Red paired with Hifiman's Deva another portable open backed Planar. Agree the tonality of the PCM 1702 and the speed of the planar are really a special combination. The R2R2000 is indeed niche, yet remains to be relevant for those who want a Multibit DAP with their unique sound.

Absolutely everything anyone has ever written about this DAP is true both positive & negative. In some respects it's a decade and then some behind, yet lightyears ahead where it really counts. As the display fades and the music plays absolutely everything and mean everything you ever thought a DAP could possibly present changes.

Q-6

Oct 31, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #1,453 of 1,984
R2R2K Red - Sony XBA-N3 & KImber Kable (MUC-M12SB1)
600x600bb.jpg
An experience, an odd mix, yet tremendous delivery being both seductive & powerful...

Q-6

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #1,454 of 1,984
Beauty and the Beast
cover.jpg

Q-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back