HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Dec 23, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #16 of 1,984
By the look of it this is strictly a PCM DAP. As much as I loved my HM801 and as much as I want to give this DAP a go exclusion of DSD when its capabilities on portable DAP, in particular the WM1 family, has been proven is puzzling.

I have asked few of my DIY DAC maker on having PMC1704 in such size and they told me it is possible however it is certainly limited in its resolution.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #17 of 1,984
By the look of it this is strictly a PCM DAP. As much as I loved my HM801 and as much as I want to give this DAP a go exclusion of DSD when its capabilities on portable DAP, in particular the WM1 family, has been proven.

I have asked few of my DIY DAC maker on having PMC1704 in such size and they told me it is possible however it is certainly limited in its resolution.
Let's wait and see, better said, hear before any judgement:)

Dec 23, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #19 of 1,984
They make no secret of there dislike of DSD, its in their powerpoint presentation.

Don't know what the title says (from HFM R2R2k presentation), but I would have guessed it's one of the supported formats?

7196a1b4ly1fmpvec0et5j20qo0k00uc.jpg

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #20 of 1,984
They do support DSD, but not native. This is more of an evolution from HM-801, and HM801 was very good for redbook quality PCM.

Edit: It appears 24/96 should easily be handled natively, DSD 64/128 will be a miracle if they can achieve.

If they get the tonality right I couldn't care less if its only 24/96, I say bring it on!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #21 of 1,984
For those of you who wonder what the letters after the end of 1704 represent they explain the quality of the DAC. The same way for instance OPA627AU/BM and SM are named, SM been the best variation of the OPA627 family, 1704K is the best version of the PCM1704 family.

They are not a new generation of DAC, it doesn't mean anything as PCM1704 is a legendary DAC that I love very much.

Dec 24, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #24 of 1,984
The HM-801 is the best sounding DAP I've owned. However, I loathed the bulky balanced card implementation and proprietary charging brick. Has the price been disclosed yet? I can only imagine the price to be $1K+ as I'm assuming this replaces the HM802/901 product line, but won't be surprised if the price is closer to $2K.

Dec 24, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #25 of 1,984
The HM-801 is the best sounding DAP I've owned. However, I loathed the bulky balanced card implementation and proprietary charging brick. Has the price been disclosed yet? I can only imagine the price to be $1K+ as I'm assuming this replaces the HM802/901 product line, but won't be surprised if the price is closer to $2K.

price was already mentioned in post #4 on the previous page, $2.5k

Dec 24, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #27 of 1,984
I think the pricing is based on the other R2R portable DAP and simply because it is an approach never tried before. I certainly dislike the pricing and wish it was more in line with other DAP but naturally the market will decide it.

Part of me wants to be positive, I shall wait till I hear it and judge it for myself.

Dec 24, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #28 of 1,984
I think the pricing is based on the other R2R portable DAP and simply because it is an approach never tried before. I certainly dislike the pricing and wish it was more in line with other DAP but naturally the market will decide it.

Part of me wants to be positive, I shall wait till I hear it and judge it for myself.
I agree with what you say, I blame this on AK for there high prices and others think they can do it as well. I think a manufacturer would sell more and at lower price. I would happily buy this at around there regular price for top tier, generally around the 1500 dollar mark. Ive always like there product for many years.

Dec 24, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #29 of 1,984
I agree with what you say, I blame this on AK for there high prices and others think they can do it as well. I think a manufacturer would sell more and at lower price. I would happily buy this at around there regular price for top tier, generally around the 1500 dollar mark. Ive always like there product for many years.
I have people who are in the industry and told me they simply cant believe how well AK product sell at that high prices. The numbers are in thousand in the life time of the product. And that is only based on the data from two shop owners.

I think portable audio market doesnt follow the mainstream supply/demand economically theory. Without wanting to sound racist the Asian market, this is where audio markets is really hot, judge a product by price and if your product isn't price high to attract attention it will simply disappear in the mixture of its competition.

Simply put the high pricing attract attention and for some reason it sells. I think sadly, yes sadly the norm is no longer 800-1500 USD, the current norm is between 1500-2500 USD and sadly the majority of the Asian market will happily pay that.

If you price your flagship DAP less than the flagship product of your competitor for some stupid reason your flagship product will only be seen as a midrange competitor of your competition. Don't ask me why, it is the current cultural trend I see in many audio forums/sites.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back