HiFiMan RE400s vs TDK IE800s
Aug 10, 2013 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Stuff Jones

1000+ Head-Fier
Can anyone who has tried both compare these two IEMs which seem to be neck and neck for best sub-$100 IEM? Are there any other sub-$100 balance IEMs I should consider? I owned (and lost) the IE800s. I liked them a lot except I found the highs a bit grating. I also had concerns about the build quality (cheap looking housings, thin cable), although they held up find for the 6 months I owned them. I am concerned about the RE400s apparent propensity to break at the plug.

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 6
I considered both, but haven't heard either. I ended up deciding on the Philips Fidelio S1 for my ~$100 earphone for extreme metal. I'm happy with my choice but also interested in hearing those two IEMs.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 6
I considered both, but haven't heard either. I ended up deciding on the Philips Fidelio S1 for my ~$100 earphone for extreme metal. I'm happy with my choice but also interested in hearing those two IEMs.

I hadn't heard of the Fidelios. Thanks. Just from a quick look, it seems like their weakness may be their sensitivity to the perfect seal. That's been ok for you?

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

I hadn't heard of the Fidelios. Thanks. Just from a quick look, it seems like their weakness may be their sensitivity to the perfect seal. That's been ok for you?

The Fidelio IEMs are a shallow-fit IEM.  Seal shouldn't be too much of an issue.  They won't isolate too much though (property of a shallowfit canalphone like the Fidelio). 

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 6
I think seal is a minor, but only minor issue for the Fidelio S1. I wouldn't jog with them, but unless I"m more than mildly active, I don't need to adjust once I've set them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back