HIFIMAN RE300a/ RE300i InLine and RE300h (hifi) Earphone launched! *Impressions added*
Jan 13, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #196 of 213
  I just unboxed my RE300a and don't like the sound at all. I am seriously  thinking of selling it. Are you guys serious that burning will make a huge difference?

In my experience, burn-in never makes a huge difference. If there is, it's usually only noticeable enough, but not entirely game-changing. Same goes for the RE-300h, and all of the no-name chinese IEMs you guys talk about in the CABIT. I still don't get how cheapo chinese IEMs suddenly sound so f'in amazing with burn-in. To that, I call BS, but that's out of topic, so I won't go any further.

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #197 of 213
  In my experience, burn-in never makes a huge difference. If there is, it's usually only noticeable enough, but not entirely game-changing. Same goes for the RE-300h, and all of the no-name chinese IEMs you guys talk about in the CABIT. I still don't get how cheapo chinese IEMs suddenly sound so f'in amazing with burn-in. To that, I call BS, but that's out of topic, so I won't go any further.

Right. I doubt burnin would help much. I'll see if I can sell it cheap on the local Singapore forum first.

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #198 of 213

Right. I doubt burnin would help much. I'll see if I can sell it cheap on the local Singapore forum first.

Yea, I wasn't impressed with the RE-300h overall either. I did like how light and small they were, as well as how much bass it could deliver. But it sounded muffled to me with a constricted soundstage. Could it be tip fitment? Possibly, but since only two tips were included, neither sounded good, and the GR07BE I got at the same time is a considerably better sounding IEM, I'm not going to invest the time and money in rolling tips just to see if this thing can sound good.

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #199 of 213
Just a matter of personal sound preference, rather than which one better "H" or "A".  What I was trying to say, RE300H and RE300A I have in my hands and in my ears sound VERY CLOSE.  If you don't like sound sig of one, switching from A to H or vice versa not going to change anything.  RE300x is about bass and clear sound with a super isolation (granted you are using the right set of tips); it's not about balanced detailed sound.

Regarding burn in, it all depends on the type of the driver and cable wiring (quite often dd will change, and you can have an affect of solder joint and wire burn in when its a silver-plated wire), how you are running burn in (brain burn in while listening, or 60hrs in free air), and the quality of your hardware source and audio files (your ears will be more sensitive to changes with a higher quality lossless files and higher resolution DAC), etc.  I tested dozens of headphones (gotta be easily over a hundred), and some had very subtle difference after burn in while others were night and day.  Take for instance the latest T2 - out of the box and 10hrs later - like two different headphones, you will never believe you are listening to the same pair in a blind test.  On the other hand, effect of RE300x burn in was just in tightening of the sound, nothing drastic.

Regarding packaging and extra tips, I was just guessing since RE400 and RE400B (bundled with HM700) had a nice packaging with fancy cutouts to display eartips.  Sure, they could have easily put a few more pairs in that little clear bag, but I think they are really focusing on the included universal double-flange tips, even feature it in the graphics of the packaging.  Again, I'm just speculating since HiFiMAN really likes to pay attention to details, and a lot of other Chinese manufacturers pay attention to HiFiMAN copying it lol!!!

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #200 of 213
I am really enjoying the RE300a's with my OnePlus One.  They are a perfect match for the 256-320kbps source material I listen to on my phone.  Do they compare to my road rig (160GB iPod ALAC -> Fostex HP-P1 -> RSA SR-71A -> Westone 4's/ 1962 Ears customs/Beyer DT1350's)?  No.  But they are just about a perfect match with my phone, its source material and audio capability.

Crazy good comfort and just the right amount of isolation for day to day use.  If I am on a plane or at home base, sensory depravation level isolation is great, for every day use I prefer less isolation and these fit the bill.  FWIW, Audio FX isn't half bad on CyanogenMod 11S. Major changes/improvements reportedly coming on CM12.  Overall, these are working out fine for me.

Like Timothy Leary said... "set and setting".

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #201 of 213
Everyone has their own flavor they like.

One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Glad you enjoy them!

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #202 of 213
I have a feeling that RE300h will sound better with RE0 double flange tips. Has anyone tried it?

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #203 of 213
  I have a feeling that RE300h will sound better with RE0 double flange tips. Has anyone tried it?

Anyone?

Mar 8, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #208 of 213
Just got my pair from HiFiMAN through the giveaway. They do not seem bassy to me as people say. Maybe I am not having a secure fit? The IEMs feel very light and not very snug. I'll try some Sony tips and see if they work.

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #209 of 213
Got a good fit and had a listen with them. Here are my impressions:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-re300h-earphone-audiophile-earbud/reviews/12708

Users who are viewing this thread

Back