HiFiMan RE262 vs. HiFiMan RE-400 Waterline
Apr 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mindstormer

New Head-Fier
I'm a college student looking for an earphone I can use for everything--from many hours of music and movies to hundreds of Youtube videos and gaming. I can only be more specific on the type of music I listen to, so I will give more details on that--I listen to classical music, pop music, alternative music, and anything that's not too hardcore and ear-shattering. I also need something that is very durable (either good warranty and just built solidly--I commute frequently). Based on reading many reviews and on my budget (under $200), I think R-400 Waterline and HiFiMan RE262 are the best options available. I know that the RE262 (~$150) is discontinued and that the R-400 (~$100) is supposed to be the new standard for all earphones at the $100 range, but I was wondering if it's still worth getting the RE262 over the R-400. 

Things to note:

- I have no idea what sound stage is or what sound signature is (or anything that specifically describes the sound an IEm produces)--my previous earphone was a Senheisser CX300 for ($50) back when it was considered a really good budget earphone. 

-I prefer to wear an earphone normally and not over-the-ear (never actually tried this... but I can't imagine it would seem more comfortable than down-the-cable. 

Tips, advices, recomendations, first-hand experiences?

Thanks a lot.

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 4
I haven't heard the RE400, but if you don't have (or plan on getting) an amp, I suggest you stay away from the RE262. They're really good....amped. Without one, I'm not sure they're worth the pricetag. Just my opinion.

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 4
My previous IEMs were all mainstream budget earphones, so I never had the need for an amp (nor do I know what it does exactly other than obviously improving the sound experience). I googled images of IEM amps and it seems like amps aren't intended for outside purposes? Like commuting on a bus or just walking. 

I guess I may just get the RE400 if that's the case. Thanks for the information. 

Hoping for more replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back