Hifiman RE0 vs Panasonic HJE900 vs Nuforce Ne-7m Review
Nov 9, 2010 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

takkaki

New Head-Fier
Sources Used: Cowon J3 and Dell Studio 1555, Realtek HD Audio/SRS Premium
Audio: FLAC, APE, WMA, 320kbps MP3
Other owned audio equipment: Senneheiser HD595, Sennheiser CX300, iPod Touch (1st gen) w/ dock line-out
Amp: HT Omega Claro Halo and Fiios E5,
Tested: Shure EC2s, Shure SE420, UE Triple-fis, Etymotics ER4&6, Nuforce ne-7m, Hifiman RE0, Panasonic HJE900, Dr.Dre Studio Beats, AKG 701, BOSE over-ear hp, Sennheiser HD 595 and HD555.

IEMS: Hifiman RE0, Panasonic HJE900, and Nuforce Ne-7m

Hifiman RE0: 

Panasonic HJE900: 30 hour burn-in

Nuforce NE-7M:  300+ hour burn-in

Packaging:

Nuforce NE-7m: 8/10
It came in a nice hard box, with a cover that flips open from the front. There's a velcro sticker that hold the cover in place. There's a piece of transparent acetate plated on the box to show the phones alongside the information on the backside of the cover. 

Panasonic HJE900: 7.5/10
It came with a bland but well thought-out box and there was a leather pouch included inside. Although the pouch is close to useless, it's the presentation that counts.

Hifiman RE0: 6/10
It's a simple plastic box padded with foam. It was cracked when I received it, which kills its score even more. Yes, it came in a well padded envelope, so no excuses. My iPod shuffle came with a similar plastic box and it didn't crack and the presentation from Apple was much nicer.

Design/Build Quality:

Panasonic HJE900: 10/10
I've yet to find a better designed IEM, especially under $100. There are detachable cords that can be replaced when torn. The drivers are housed in a cubic zirconia shell (their selling point) that has a hardness close to diamonds. Yes, it is very difficult to scratch these jems. The cables are of very high quality, and everything seems solid and well built. No flimsiness anywhere. All audio companies should take a leaf out of Panasonic's book, and build their (cheaper) iems this way.  

Nuforce Ne-7m: 7/10
They broke three times. Jason at Nuforce honored my warranty until the year was over. It was nice that they provided paid return shipping for the phones, and they were very nice to their customers and their opinions. Though they have a A+ helpdesk, their phones need to catch up on quality. They are listening to their customers because I got a different pair every time. There were revisions on the cable and stress relief. My first replacement sounded exceptionally great, but sadly it broke while some daily wear.

Hifiman RE0: 6.5/10
It feels cheaper than my Ne-7ms. The driver's shell seems very light and will likely shatter if I hit it sharply against a table. The cable is about the same as the one from nuforce but the stress relief seems to be better. However the rubber is still a bit stiff so it worries me. I have to continually baby these or they will break! Check other threads about the IEM's durability.

Sound:
I will be following this handy guide: http://www.nuforce.com/hp/docs/audiophileguide.pdf

Panasonic HJE900:
Resolution/Clarity: 6/10
Soundstage: 4/10
Bass: 9/10

The first thing I noticed about these phones was the treble. It was incredibly harsh and incredibly distant. Highs roll off and those that don't sound distant. I had to EQ the treble tremendously to bring it forward and give it some sparkle. It didn't work out as well as I thought.. The second thing I noticed was the bass. The bass started off as muddy but had some deep extension into the lower frequencies. With some decent burn-in, it tightened up and started sounding a bit punchy. Now these two things are fine with me because a little EQing would be sufficient, but the sound was not balanced. The sound signature is like a "V" shape. There is deep bass and then the sound dives deep into the mids, and then sharply back up to treble. It makes vocalists sound as though they are turning the heads backwards and singing. When I listen to Armin Van Burren, it sounds amazing because the bass extends deep and the vocals sound crisp. But it doesn't have that airy atmosphere that I like in trance. Han Zimmer's Inception OST in FLAC sounded very deep and dark but the violins were overpowered by the bass. It seems as though I was sitting way back at a live concert and I had to listen very hard to discern instrumental separation. The only way to make these phone sound better is with sufficient burn-in and a foam mod to stifle the harshness. Otherwise, the sound is mediocre.

Dynamic Distribution: 5/10
Speed: 9/10
Air/Spatial: 4/10
Color/Neutrality: 6/10

The dynamic distribution from the Panasonics is horrible. When the phones replicate a swell in the music, it becomes unbearably loud and then goes mouse quiet at the most unusual places. I can never get the right volume out of them. However this feature works well in movies because it provides the shock and impact for certain scenes. You can't get that from the RE0s or the NE7ms. The has such depth, it provides a 3D-like sound. Furthermore, these phones are very punchy and energetic so they are good for Techno, R&B, Rap and Kpop. They have the an ample amount of speed, causing the bass to be punchy and not muddy. It is easy to find people who would prefer this sound signature but it does not have the sonic qualities I prefer. The Panasonics are a good companion to go out jogging with since it is extremely durable and has the bass impact needed for a good cardio workout. However, the imaging on this phone is subpar compared to others in the same price range. My ne-7m will eat this phone for breakfast in terms of soundstage, clarity, and transparency. The HJE900s can be considered colored as it lacks neutral tones with a flat EQ. Everything sounds too boom, and there is barely any instrumental layering. The overall sound signature is dark, deep, dramatic, powerful, and cold. I dare say it sounds a bit evil. These phones really shine during the catastrophes of a movie. Or it could just be a be a matter of user preference.

HJE900s sound best with alternative rock, jazz, trance/house techno, movies, and R&B.

Hifiman RE0:

Resolution/Clarity: 9/10
Soundstage: 8/10
Bass: 8/10

When I listen to Bruno Mars, and Frank Sinatra, their voices are very crisp and clear. The treble and mids are amazing from these phones. They provide the sparkle without rolling off in the higher frequencies. Moreover, the mids are clearly the dominating factor from these phones. Everything sounds balanced, and more forward. In comparison to the Panasonic's, the RE0s provide a front row experience at a live concert, while the HJE900s provide a experience in the 25th row. Unlike the colored sonic qualities of the HJE900,  the RE0 sound signature is very neutral and transparent; similar to the ER6. And unlike the ER6, the bass from the RE0s is more than sufficient for me. It is snappy, has a warm resonance, and energetic. It's no where near the bass extension the HJE900s can provide, however it's enough to make the phones sound balanced. Furthermore, the soundstage from these phones is wide but comparing it with the NE-7ms, it is rather narrow. It still has that out of the head effect, but not to my preferred extent. In my opinion, the overall sound from the RE0 is pleasant, warm, and energetic. However after using the HJE900, I do wish the RE0s had the bass extension and build quality from them. (RE0 needs detachable cables)

Dynamic Distribution: 9/10
Speed: 8/10
Air/Spatial: 10/10
Color/Neutrality: 8/10

Unlike the Panasonics, the dynamic distribution is very good. There's not a time where I need to continue change the volume to normalize the track.  The RE0 is not as punchy as the HJE900s but definite much more snappy sounding. It's hard to explain. In comparison to the Ne7ms, the RE0 wins hands down in the bass department. And it has the airy atmosphere that many people seem to enjoy! I, for one, loves the spatial environment that the RE0s are able to replicate and possibly outclasses the Nuforce NE7ms by a slight margin due it's forward sonic signature. The Nuforce are too laid back to provide the same effect, but it has a transparent sound that gives the RE0 a run for its money. If you are looking for the most neutral phone, the NE7m would be perfect for you. If you're looking for a more forward sounding experience, the RE0 are much better choice. The Panasonics don't even compete at this level.

RE0 sounds best with vocals, orchestral music, jpop, kpop, and deals with other genres fairly well. It is very well rounded.

Nuforce NE-7m

Resolution/Clarity: 9/10
Soundstage: 10/10
Bass: 7/10

This is by far my favorite phone because it is one of the best IEMs for the buck. It's $44 for the NE7m, which includes the mic for the iphone and $34 for the NE6m w/o the mic from Amazon. That's pretty damn cheap for the sound you are getting- almost RE0 sound.The sound signature is very transparent (and I mean it) and neutral, and when I listen to high quality recordings, I constantly turn my head in real life because it sounds as though someone is talking to me. I have yet to get that level of performance from the RE0 but I am hoping it will with some sufficient burn-in. Although the treble doesn't shimmer as much as the RE0, the clarity is astounding from the Nuforce. The out-of-head soundstage and instrument separation is unbeatable albeit sounding a bit distant. Everything will sound a bit distant but this is also why the soundstage sounds phenomenally wide. The RE0 may provide a front row experience, but these provide the performance as a whole from a farther seat. For example, if you are in front of a orchestra, and the first violinist is playing a solo: the RE0 will have the solo sound very forward and the rest of the spectrum as a background track. On the other hand, the Ne7ms will provide the whole experience, pulling the solo further back and letting other instruments battle for a larger sound. In this sense, people will say the NE7ms are overly analytical but I believe some people, like me, prefer to listen to everything with attentive detail and appreciate the performance as a whole and less on the solo. As for the bass, the NE-7m has the least of the three. The Panasonics is the champion there. When I watch movies like Star Trek, or Iron Man with the RE0s or the NE7ms, the actors sound so clear that it sounds as though I was with them in the movie. However the background audio is dramatically subdued; I can't even hear them. It is as though the phones thought them irrevelentand just not replicate them. The Panasonics are built for movies, and replicates those sounds with ease. Without those "noises," from the lower frequencies, both RE0 and Nuforce lack a good cinematic experience. The Panasonics, of course, don't sound as clear or transparent but they do engage me into the movie. It makes movie watching energetic and exciting, while the RE0 and Nuforce does not. Consequently, I find that the strong point from the NE7m's bass lies its snappiness and it warm rendition of a string bass. Clearly, it is not made for movies but rather for orchestra music and guitar tabs. And for those music genres, the bass is sufficient.

Dynamic Distribution: 7/10
Speed: 10/10
Air/Spatial: 10/10
Color/Neutrality: 8/10

The dynamic distribution is rather bland and as stated before it doesn't have enough impact. Although the speed of the phones make its bass very speedy, it lacks the amazing sonic impact the Panasonics retain. And as stated before, the NE-7ms performance lies in its amazing out-of-head soundstage and its affinity to natural sounds and atmosphere. I prefer its uncolored sonic signature. 

NE-7m sounds best with Jpop, vocals, piano, and orchestral pieces.

Wrap-Up

If I had to choose between of the three, I would choose either the NE-7m and RE0. I have not had the RE0 long enough to test its durability but it's almost twice the price of the NE-6m (Ne-7m w/o mic) It's definitely a step up from the Nuforce however if its flimsy construction impairs its audio quality, I may just give up and give the Nuforce another go. The RE0 is definitely the best performer despite its sonic flaws. It's the most well rounded phone and suites my music selection. The only reason why the score is low is due to its design and packaging. The IEMs are already fragile so putting it in a fragile case is just.. fail. The previous versions had better packaging and they should have kept it instead of trading it for the current setup. The things the RE0 could improve on is its soundstage, its bass extension, and its build quality. The HJE900 have excellent build quality and phenomenal bass, but it lacks a balanced sound and good sound stage. The NE7M are excellent in sound imaging and transparent sonic layering, but it sounds bland because the sound lacks both energy (impact) and bass. Also not to mention it has subpar build quality. All these phones have things to improve on, and that is expected at the <$100 range. For the price, I would say the NE-7ms are the best bang for the buck, the RE0 the best performer under $100 and the Panasonics the most powerful and durable jem I have ever seen in a IEM.

1. Hifiman RE0 (8.04 avg)
2. Nuforce Ne-7m (8.4 avg)
3. Panasonic HJE900 (6.72 avg)

Video Review Aid:

Hope my review helped you decide which headphone to buy!

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 6
Interesting review, while I do not have the panasonic, I do have the RE0 and NE-7m.  Personally, I feel the built is better on the RE0 (V2 cloth cord) than the NE7m, though the metal filter is nice.  Resolution and clarity, the NE7m cannot touch the RE0.  I got the NE7m before the RE0 and I did like them, but when I got the RE0, the RE0 is better in every aspect but 1) bass quantity and 2) Sound flavor (very subjective).  The treble clarity, resolution and detail is superior over the NE7m.  Though when amped the NE7m is quite good.  I also do not think the NE7m are neutral, they are warmer and more laid back than the RE0.  Out of all my headphones the RE0 is king for balance and neutrality.

However, nice review.

Nov 11, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 6
I can agree that the cloth cabling would be better than the current pfe cabling but the vendor selling the v2s only accepts Paypal. Unfortunately, I don't use Paypal so I stuck with Amazon instead. Right now, I have both the NE7m and RE0 in front of me. I would say the cable on the Nuforce is a hair thicker and more rigid. The RE0 cable feels softer, but in the real world, it is practically the same as the NE7m's. Consequently, that is also why I am concerned with the durability of the RE0. The cabling and stress relief for both phones are practically identical and my NE7m broke three times.. As for the sound, I agree the RE0 are superior to the NE7m in many ways because it is more forward sounding in both treble and bass. However, I've noticed bigger sound doesn't always mean it is more detailed. I can hear the same nuances in the music with the NE7m but more subtly. I also noticed I forgot to mention I did amp the NE7m with the Fiio E5 with a iPod line-out as the source but I didn't with the RE0 coupled with my J3. Personally, I find the NE7m more neutral and analytical while the RE0 provides both a energetic and refined sound. Yes, the NE7m are more laidback, but it definitely sounds more natural (to my ears) and transparent than the RE0 when I do a hands-on comparison. 

Oh, and thanks for reading my review!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 6
It's quite a good review! Very informative and engaging since you're coming from the mainstream market and that's where a lot of people like me are really interested in. As much as I enjoy IEMs and my music, I simply just cannot afford the more expensive ones. Keep up the good work!
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 6
Both the NE7m and RE0 benefit from a good amp, I've used them out of my Pico Slim and my desktop amps (Sparrow, Kicas and a hybrid [this is where neutrality comes into play]).  NE7m really benefits from an amp for some odd reason, it will become a better iem, but it cannot compete with an amped RE0 because the RE0 is a completely different beast all together.  But, I enjoy them both, though the RE0 gets more head time because of their neutrality and really sounds great out of a warm amp much better than the NE7m.  Of course these are my opinions, still a pretty solid review.

Durability issue, none so far for me, neither the RE0 or NE-7m have broke and they're reaching the 2 year mark, of course I take really good care of them, altoids can FTW!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back