HiFiMan RE-600 Review
Jul 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #211 of 902
Well, one way to look at it is that iems are often used outside or on commute. So, it's valid to say that in real-world usage one earphone competes well with another, as long as the context is made clear to the reader. Not every comparison has to be alone in a silent, dark room, fondling audio equipment.

One issue I can see though is that people may not have had much time with the re-600 at the audio store event you guys attended. The worst/funniest example is the dude from earphonesolutions giving an incoherent "review" of the Shure se846 having heard them for 3 minutes (plus bad comparisons with other earphones!).

I just speak in incoherent riddles sometimes but the bolded section was what I was actually trying to work towards. And what people do in the silent darkness of their own rooms is perfectly fine with me.

The considerate ones of us definitely were aware that there were others waiting for a chance to listen and listening was pretty brief, unfortunately.

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #213 of 902
Jul 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #215 of 902
Just want to give potential buyers a heads up. ACGears.com has a head-fi special (code: bbheadfi), 10% off all orders $200 and they have the RE-600 in stock! Comes out to $355.50 with free shipping! :)

Jul 14, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #216 of 902
just received a pair of these... really impressed.
can't really say much yet but they are very clean, clear, good detail, good extension, maybe a bit downward sloping in their FR but in the best of ways. no really obvious dips, maybe a tiny one in the upper mids/lower treble or thereabout. but not at all what I'd call recessed because it's pretty tiny.

for me however, the large biflanges kind of suck. the small ones that you get with them are really nice though. fits perfectly in my ear at least. so tip selection really isn't the best but I don't think I'll be unhappy with the small ones.

and yes they are different from RE-400 despite very similar measurements and physical properties. 
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #217 of 902
Just want to give potential buyers a heads up. ACGears.com has a head-fi special (code: bbheadfi), 10% off all orders $200 and they have the RE-600 in stock! Comes out to $355.50 with free shipping! :)

Just tried to check out with the coupon, doesn't seem to work anymore... Says Sorry, but there's a problem with your order. This coupon could only be used 1 times. Oh well, guess I'll wait for Hifiman themselves to get them in stock...

Jul 14, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #218 of 902
Just tried to check out with the coupon, doesn't seem to work anymore... Says Sorry, but there's a problem with your order. This coupon could only be used 1 times. Oh well, guess I'll wait for Hifiman themselves to get them in stock...
Guess I got lucky :p

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #220 of 902
It's surprising how similarly the RE-400 and RE-600 measure...contrasted with the difference in price (based on InnerFidelity's recent measurements). I haven't heard them, but my listening experiences are usually very well represented by InnerFidelity's measurements. The RE-400s look amazing for $99. It's odd that you found them to be bright sounding, considering that the sample InnerFidelity measured was fairly reticent in the treble region, and certainly not brighter than the RE-400. Is a $300 increase in price justified by a better cable, a different outer finish, and better packaging & accessoriesI'm not sold.

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #221 of 902
Quote:
It's surprising how similarly the RE-400 and RE-600 measure...contrasted with the difference in price (based on InnerFidelity's recent measurements). I haven't heard them, but my listening experiences are usually very well represented by InnerFidelity's measurements. The RE-400s look amazing for $99. It's odd that you found them to be bright sounding, considering that the sample InnerFidelity measured was fairly reticent in the treble region, and certainly not brighter than the RE-400. Is a $300 increase in price justified by a better cable, a different outer finish, and better packaging & accessoriesI'm not sold.

Measurements only tell you so much...  There is still a lot that we don't understand in how the measurements work out.  Reading a graph to determine how a headphone sounds is like reading the lyrics to a song deciding whether or not it'll be a good one. 

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #222 of 902
FWIW.. the RE262 & RE272 measure very similarly, as well.. but it's extremely easy to (sonically) tell them apart.. when you listen to them. As Tinyman said, measurements are important.. but they're not the only thing that matters (IMO). I prefer to evaluate phones with both subjective and objective data. I don't see those two things as mutually exclusive, either.. and I use both sets of data to make a "holistic" decision about phones.

I've never understood the folks who run stark-raving-mad when an objective measurement/graph is mentioned.. same goes for the hardcore objectivist camp (who discount the things we don't know about psychoacoustics outside of current measurement methodologies). I'm glad we've got both groups of folks here. I glean more valuable info from the folks who are able to synthesize objective and subjective data than those who want to exclusively rely on mushy, "touchy-feely" subjective impressions (which is hard to gauge due to lack of any kind of standardization) or those who want to exclusively rely on graphs and square waves. Let's use both approaches to get a better idea of why we hear what we hear!

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #224 of 902
FWIW.. the RE262 & RE272 measure very similarly, as well.. but it's extremely easy to (sonically) tell them apart.. when you listen to them. As Tinyman said, measurements are important.. but they're not the only thing that matters (IMO). I prefer to evaluate phones with both subjective and objective data. I don't see those two things as mutually exclusive, either.. and I use both sets of data to make a "holistic" decision about phones.

I've never understood the folks who run stark-raving-mad when an objective measurement/graph is mentioned.. same goes for the hardcore objectivist camp (who discount the things we don't know about psychoacoustics outside of current measurement methodologies). I'm glad we've got both groups of folks here. I glean more valuable info from the folks who are able to synthesize objective and subjective data than those who want to exclusively rely on mushy, "touchy-feely" subjective impressions (which is hard to gauge due to lack of any kind of standardization) or those who want to exclusively rely on graphs and square waves. Let's use both approaches to get a better idea of why we hear what we hear!

Well-said! Despite similar measurements, I can hear differences between the 400 and 600. Perhaps these differences might be compared to listening to a group playing inside a coffee shop when you are walking by and hearing the same group when seated inside. Same group, but different sound. There are likely properties contributing to the overall SQ that can never be measured qualitatively, but there is little question that measurements can provide hints of what the overall character of the phones might be.

Jul 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #225 of 902
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B009S331VU/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
Anyone buy the AD900x from bluesky angel store?

Wrong thread... 
confused_face_2.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back