HiFiMan RE-600 Review
Jan 11, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #602 of 902
when worn behind the ears , the soundstage these iems produce is fantastic

i find the ortofon EQ5 silicone stock tips to work great with them , since the HFM stock tips are kinda lame

very curious to see how these iems match up versus the (way more expensive) AKG K3003...

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #603 of 902

very curious to see how these iems match up versus the (way more expensive) AKG K3003...

I don't know about AKG K3003 but I have RE-600 and while I like them they can't touch my 1plus2 and especially Ref 1.
All across spectrum but especially bass and soundstage - they are simply not in the same league with either of these Tralucent phones.

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #604 of 902

I don't know about AKG K3003 but I have RE-600 and while I like them they can't touch my 1plus2 and especially Ref 1.
All across spectrum but especially bass and soundstage - they are simply not in the same league with either of these Tralucent phones.

that's cool , i would hate to pay for the K3003 only to find the re600 being on par with them while costing 1/4 of the price

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #606 of 902
Will Etymotic tips fit on these?  Thanks.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #609 of 902
  How's the build quality on these? Do they have the famous HiFiMan sound>>>>>>>>>build quality relationship? 

I have the original RE600 (before RE600s came out). With those if you want single ended you need to use the extension cable that came with it to convert from balanced->single ended. This is what I was using and that cable got worn out very quickly - within couple of weeks it started failing on me (cutting in/out). After this I sent the phones to someone to re-terminate as single ended just because of this issue. So to summarize I had horrible experience with these phones for this reason and think this is the worst cable I have ever seen. Having said this I do like the SQ (so I guess I'm consistent with what you heard). Let me also add this is the only hifiman product I own so I'm personally not going to generalize further.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #610 of 902

With those if you want single ended you need to use the extension cable that came with it to convert from balanced->single ended. This is what I was using and that cable got worn out very quickly - within couple of weeks it started failing on me (cutting in/out).

Is the single ended version is less likely to develop these cable problems?

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #611 of 902
  Is the single ended version is less likely to develop these cable problems?

I would certainly hope so and my guess is this must be the case. If you look through some very early feedback on the original RE600 you will see more similar criticism others provided (including my own which I provided way back then). My guess is as a result of this type of feedback hifiman actually released RE600s in the first place (probably a good guess given early on it was never mentioned this was going to come out). So we can give them some credit for that - although the right fix would be to release the same phones with higher quality cable (or even better release a version that takes custom cables).

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #613 of 902

Got these today from Amazon warehouse sale for 130$ and had worst first impression then any other IEM I got earlier, it was too bright for my liking. Probably it has to do with my DAP also AK100 II and wanted to return them right away. Compared to darker IE800 and big sounding JVC-850 these sounded thin and sibilance was unbearable for me.

after much experiments with stock and UE900 tips, I found comply reduced sibilance but was still bright for me, finally adding two filters one top of other did the trick for me. With double filter bass is bit tight and more importantly sibilance is not longer there. 

Now I can say, mids on these is sweetest, never heard better in an IEM, soundstage and imaging is also awesome. These are keepers for sure.

Question, with burn-in sibilance will reduce, that is my biggest problem with these.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea how you can hear harsh treble or sibilance in any way. The RE600 have lower-than-flat treble reproduction... are you confusing treble for upper mids maybe, like the male and female vocal range?

Got these today from Amazon warehouse sale for 130$ and had worst first impression then any other IEM I got earlier, it was too bright for my liking. Probably it has to do with my DAP also AK100 II and wanted to return them right away. Compared to darker IE800 and big sounding JVC-850 these sounded thin and sibilance was unbearable for me.

after much experiments with stock and UE900 tips, I found comply reduced sibilance but was still bright for me, finally adding two filters one top of other did the trick for me. With double filter bass is bit tight and more importantly sibilance is not longer there. 

Now I can say, mids on these is sweetest, never heard better in an IEM, soundstage and imaging is also awesome. These are keepers for sure.

Question, with burn-in sibilance will reduce, that is my biggest problem with these.

The only time I heard anything like you describe with my RE 600 was when I did not have tips that fit me and sealed well. No sibilance has ever been in the mix for me, even with ill fitting tips. What I noticed was that they sound very thin without getting them in the right place in my ears... and having a good seal.

First sorry for delayed replay.... for few days i had been away from head-fi. RE-600 is great IEM, I really like, but they are bit bright and that makes harsh sounding if you are coming from an likes of IE-800 and JVC-850. Till my ears got adjusted to it's sound sig, it did sound sibilant to me.  

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #615 of 902

Users who are viewing this thread

Back