HiFiMan RE-600 Review
Aug 15, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #376 of 902
You can make your own for a few bucks. The TRRS is the same type that's on iphone earbuds and stuff.

Yup I know, cheap ttrs male jacks are dime a dozen but can't find a female trrs jack yet. :frowning2:

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #378 of 902
I had a sneak peek of RE-600. This is an outrage!
It is exactly the wrong mistuning of RE-400. Why would I want a darker variant of an already dark IEM? One that costs more and actually sports the terrible RE-272/RE-ZERO cable that hardens and breaks? For all their testing, they should check first if the cable crystallizes/vulcanizes. Which it does, even on the first day, and with time becomes very brittle and hard.
What a sad money grab this is. I've expected much better out of Hifiman...

A much better choice would be to attach a balanced cable to RE-400, if anyone wants it, reducing the venting and/or applying high frequency equalization. Perhaps a nudge of extra shell damping too.
Same tips advice - for my ears, large long biflanges from RE-272 or if these aren't available, just the large biflange, which loses some highs extension. The sleeve with the strip inside works ok, but is too small to fit reliably.

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #379 of 902
Quote:

your avatar is gorgeous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!

Thanks! 
beerchug.gif

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #380 of 902
Yeah that.
I have the RE-400 for like 6 months and already had to have them repaired once [jack broke off - had it replaced by a single, non-angled piece - awesome]
Now [1 month after the jack fix] the cable is causing trouble again [sound drop offs].
I suspect it's either just above the jack or at the earpiece-split part, or both.
The cable is just a bitch. It tangles, it kinks... isn't flexible at all.
Rolling it up into a hardcase [which I unfortunately received just now] might slow its wear down but...

I try to be as gentle as possible with it but with use the cable effectively destroys itself over time...  No way around that.
It just kinks at certain spots and there is massive stress on these parts... It even tangles overtime on its own...

It is a shame as I really feel like the shells and drivers themselves are build really well, plus the amazing sound they offer.. but the cable just kills it :/

The fact that the RE-600 uses the same cable exterior is ridiculous and stupid.

Sep 16, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #381 of 902

The fact that the RE-600 uses the same cable exterior is ridiculous and stupid.

I agree 100%.
RE-600 is the most expensive IEM I have purchased so far and while I love the SQ there is no question this is the worst cable I have ever had on any of my headphones (including sub $100 IEM's).
Moon Audio has re-terminated my pair so I don't need to use the balanced->unbalanced converter any longer which helps bit but still - the cable kinks so easily that you have to be extremely careful (I no longer feel comfortable using it like every other IEM where you don't think about it - I'm always having to watch out for those kinks).

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #384 of 902
is the re-600 cable that bad ? bummer

i have a RE-272 for quite some time and although the cable has stiffed a bit , it still holds reasonably well

(plus the sound is awesome)

judging by the sound description though , re-600 isn't my cup of tea (more a balanced/analytical type) , so thankfully those 400$ stay inside my wallet

oh , and whoever says re400 is almost as good as the re-272 , he should have his ears checked

not even close , folks. not even close
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #385 of 902
  is the re-600 cable that bad ? bummer

i have a RE-272 for quite some time and although the cable has stiffed a bit , it still holds reasonably well

(plus the sound is awesome)

judging by the sound description though , re-600 isn't my cup of tea (more a balanced/analytical type) , so thankfully those 400$ stay inside my wallet

oh , and whoever says re400 is almost as good as the re-272 , he should have his ears checked

not even close , folks. not even close
biggrin.gif

The cable is not that good, no...
For the price the RE-400 is hard to beat though :]

Sep 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #386 of 902
Does hifi-man listen to feedback?  We should be more vocal about the cable issues.  The hardening is definitely annoying.  Two weeks in and they've already stiffened horribly.

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #388 of 902
  I don't think the Re-400 is particularly dark.  I'm a little surprised people here are saying it leans heavily to that extreme.

I feel like people are equating smooth with dark. Compared to the RE0 the RE-400 are dark, but in general I don't think they fit that definition. The RE-400 are smooth, not dark. Also something like "Omg these aren't really bright, therefore they are dark!"

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #389 of 902

I feel like people are equating smooth with dark. Compared to the RE0 the RE-400 are dark, but in general I don't think they fit that definition. The RE-400 are smooth, not dark. Also something like "Omg these aren't really bright, therefore they are dark!"

That sounds about right.

I have the RE-Zero, RE-262 and RE-400 and none of them strike me as dark.  Smooth, yes.  Very musical while still being revealing, mostly yes.

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #390 of 902
I had a sneak peek of RE-600. This is an outrage!
It is exactly the wrong mistuning of RE-400. Why would I want a darker variant of an already dark IEM? One that costs more and actually sports the terrible RE-272/RE-ZERO cable that hardens and breaks? For all their testing, they should check first if the cable crystallizes/vulcanizes. Which it does, even on the first day, and with time becomes very brittle and hard.
What a sad money grab this is. I've expected much better out of Hifiman...

A much better choice would be to attach a balanced cable to RE-400, if anyone wants it, reducing the venting and/or applying high frequency equalization. Perhaps a nudge of extra shell damping too.
Same tips advice - for my ears, large long biflanges from RE-272 or if these aren't available, just the large biflange, which loses some highs extension. The sleeve with the strip inside works ok, but is too small to fit reliably.

I found you have a very distinctive taste in IEM. I remember you described the SE5WAY as dark and heavy in bass. You even describe the relatively bright and light sounding re400 as dark... IDK what is going on in your mind but fore me re400 sounds like a piece of cheap plastic and re600 is better in every regard even though it still sounds a little "plastic".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back