HiFiMAN RE-400 Review
Mar 5, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #17 of 301
Hey Mark,

How do these compare to the GR07? I'm on the lookout for a neutral, detailed and quick IEM that has a realistic body and weight to the bottom-end. I had the Rock It Sounds R-50 previously, and it definitely felt lacking in realistic bottom-end weight when the the track called for it.

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #18 of 301
Quote:
Hey Mark,

How do these compare to the GR07? I'm on the lookout for a neutral, detailed and quick IEM that has a realistic body and weight to the bottom-end. I had the Rock It Sounds R-50 previously, and it definitely felt lacking in realistic bottom-end weight when the the track called for it.

well the 400 is "better" than the 7 but...... while the 400 has filled out in the bottom end it cant do what the 7 can.   ive nat heard the R50 yet but i suspoct it want be a million miles from the GR01 which means it cant be far from the RE-400 either.  soo if it was only lacking the tinyest of touches then yes the 400 should be fine for you otherwise the 7 may be the better option.

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #21 of 301
My pair just arrived :) They are very small. I wasn't expecting them to be this tiny but that's a good thing because they aren't going to stand out like my UM3X do (I will be using these on the trains and around my University campus in the city). They fit in my ears so easily, it's great :) I don't think I will be able to write a review on them anytime soon as I haven't been in touch with my audiophile side for a while now hehe. 

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #22 of 301
Just ordered mine. Anyone heard these yet through an unamped Ipod Classic (latest version)?

Apr 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #23 of 301
Anyone have any thoughts or comments on the timbre/texture? Is it one note? Or how they stack up in that regard to other IEMs? I've heard the Hifiman HE-500s and felt they were lacking in that area compared to other phones and based off this review the RE-400s sounds similar to what the HE-500s are about, which I also preferred for female vocals over male.

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #24 of 301
Great review, I have a couple of IEM (Klipsch S4; Sunrise Sw-Xcape; Atrio M5 Pro; Sony MDR-EX600; JVC HA-FXD80-Z in that update order) , and in it's price range, I really like the sound texture of this HifiMan RE400. Add Comfort tips to it, sound is deeper than original tips, had to close bass boost of my cMoy portable amp!

May 18, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #25 of 301
Nice review.

I'm in the market for a new IEM. I'm looking for something that can give me a mid range and overall "fatigue free" feel that's as close to the old Head-Direct RE-1 as possible. 

I just got my fourth RE-1 yesterday and they died in about 2 hours. I think I'm done with them, working out way to expensive 

Is the RE-400 something to consider or perhaps the 262? 

May 18, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #26 of 301
I have had mine about a week now, and I am really diggin' them.....great bang for the buck and right in my price range for my moddest portable set-up.

May 19, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #27 of 301
Quote:
Nice review.

I'm in the market for a new IEM. I'm looking for something that can give me a mid range and overall "fatigue free" feel that's as close to the old Head-Direct RE-1 as possible. 

I just got my fourth RE-1 yesterday and they died in about 2 hours. I think I'm done with them, working out way to expensive 

Is the RE-400 something to consider or perhaps the 262? 

well ive never heard the RE-1 so im guessing a bit.  the 400 should be just fine for you but while i wouldnt say it was a fatigueing IEM but.......... if your after a fatuige free IEM then the 262 really fits that roll.  its smooth as silk and super gentle on the ear.  its also one of my favourite IEM's ever.  its beautiful to listen to but bare in mind its not the most exciting particularly in the treble.

May 22, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #28 of 301
Quote:
well ive never heard the RE-1 so im guessing a bit.  the 400 should be just fine for you but while i wouldnt say it was a fatigueing IEM but.......... if your after a fatuige free IEM then the 262 really fits that roll.  its smooth as silk and super gentle on the ear.  its also one of my favourite IEM's ever.  its beautiful to listen to but bare in mind its not the most exciting particularly in the treble.

Thanks for the reply!

The 262 does sound like something I'll enjoy, it also sounds like a RE-1 without all the quality issues. Will read a bit on them.The lack of treble isn't much of an issue, especially for someone coming from the RE-1, big big roll-off in treble with those. 

May 28, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #30 of 301
I am listening through them now to Gerschwin's Concerto in F on my MacBook Pro.  Also through Ipod Classic 160GB earlier. Both terrific. Plenty of power for lows and highs. Right up there with my HD 800s through my NAD 375DAC.  Not o much in terms of soundstage. The most incredible musical instrument in a small package I've ever experienced.  I am into classical music and if you want to check out the low end performance get a copy of Saint Saen's Symphony #3 (Organ Sym). Be prepared for a "mind blowing" experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back