HiFiman RE-400 or Yamaha EPH-100?
Jul 30, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #16 of 25
Such a great thread!  Thank you both for your detail, it is helping me figure out which first IEM to buy :)

After reading many boards and reviews these 2 are certainly some of the highest quality and lowest priced ($99) IEMs available.  I also have been looking at the JVC HA-FXT90, T-PEOS H-100 II, and the Shure SE215.  All are $99 (or slightly less).  It's quite confusing for a newbie to figure out where to start first.

I was just about to pull the trigger on the Hifiman RE-400's but review after review complained of the low bass.  Now I'm no Bass-head.  I listen to mostly acoustic, classic rock, & vocals.  But still, I do like to hear some bass.  So now I'm leaning towards Starfly's recco - which is to stay with the Yamaha.  It sounds like either is a good option as they are both similar and up to user preferences.  Wish they had a store where I could go try all 5 and then pick for myself!

Anyway, thanks all - you guys rock!  pun intended :wink:

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #17 of 25
  Such a great thread!  Thank you both for your detail, it is helping me figure out which first IEM to buy :)

After reading many boards and reviews these 2 are certainly some of the highest quality and lowest priced ($99) IEMs available.  I also have been looking at the JVC HA-FXT90, T-PEOS H-100 II, and the Shure SE215.  All are $99 (or slightly less).  It's quite confusing for a newbie to figure out where to start first.

I was just about to pull the trigger on the Hifiman RE-400's but review after review complained of the low bass.  Now I'm no Bass-head.  I listen to mostly acoustic, classic rock, & vocals.  But still, I do like to hear some bass.  So now I'm leaning towards Starfly's recco - which is to stay with the Yamaha.  It sounds like either is a good option as they are both similar and up to user preferences.  Wish they had a store where I could go try all 5 and then pick for myself!

Anyway, thanks all - you guys rock!  pun intended :wink:

Yeah, well now I recommend you get the RE-400. The Yamaha is a piece of crap. The right side cut out on me a couple weeks ago after only about 6 months of use. They sounded fine, but the durability is low. In that sense a waste of money. Never buying a Yamaha IEM product again (I love their A/V receivers though).

And the RE-400 is bit anemic in terms of bass quantity, but the extension is definitely there, so if you want more bass just use an EQ and you'll hear it.

And otherwise, buy my Shure SE535 (see my signature) which beats them all :) (yes I know, a shameless plug).

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #18 of 25
That's a bummer!  Now I'm confused again.

I understand when something breaks it's hard to assess it - I'd certainly be pissed.  I did a quick re-read of the reviews here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/yamaha-eph-100sl-inner-ear-headphone which showed no durability complaints.  However on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-EPH-100SL-EPH-100-Inner-Ear-Headphones/product-reviews/B00591GIMY/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0) it does appear a small # of people are complaining about their durability.  I wonder if it's knockoffs that are giving the issue rather than true Yamaha's?

Prior to the breaking - were you loving the Yamaha's? And now that you're on the Hifiman (I assume for a while) do you prefer them over the Yamaha's?  Or perhaps a better way of putting this... assuming I could guarantee you another pair of Yamaha's wouldn't break - which pair would you prefer solely on sound, isolation and mic?

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #19 of 25
it does appear a small # of people are complaining about their durability.

It's not exactly a durability problem, but a flaw in the design. The earwax seems to progressively go deep inside, and some people complain after some time that they are muted.
People that "produce" less earwax, or clean regularly their ear are less likely to notice the problem.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #20 of 25
  That's a bummer!  Now I'm confused again.

I understand when something breaks it's hard to assess it - I'd certainly be pissed.  I did a quick re-read of the reviews here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/yamaha-eph-100sl-inner-ear-headphone which showed no durability complaints.  However on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-EPH-100SL-EPH-100-Inner-Ear-Headphones/product-reviews/B00591GIMY/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0) it does appear a small # of people are complaining about their durability.  I wonder if it's knockoffs that are giving the issue rather than true Yamaha's?

Prior to the breaking - were you loving the Yamaha's? And now that you're on the Hifiman (I assume for a while) do you prefer them over the Yamaha's?  Or perhaps a better way of putting this... assuming I could guarantee you another pair of Yamaha's wouldn't break - which pair would you prefer solely on sound, isolation and mic?

Loving might be too strong a word for them. But keep in mind that I had the Shure SE530 IEMs before I started using the EPH-100, and the Shure are by far much better than the EPH-100. It's just that they broke and I had to replace them and didn't want to shell out too much money at the time (but now it's costing me more because the EPH-100 are broken now too). 

But I like the sound signature of the EPH-100, it's a fun signature, much more forgiving than the Shures and with plenty of bass. But what I didn't like about them was that they just kept wanting to come out of my ear whenever in the gym, they just wouldn't stay put. So I had some serious fit issues. And when the right earpice started cutting out intermittently, I just gave up on them.

I don't own the RE-400, but from memory they might overall be the better headphone. They're neutral, which means you can easily change the sound signature with a bit of EQing. I mean, I also had to EQ the EPH-100 to reduce that mid-bass hump. If with the RE-400 you up the sub-bass to bass regions a bit, they sound quite pleasant in the low-end. In the end I regret not picking the RE-400 over the EPH-100, as they're overall the more versatile IEM.

But now I've personally decided to stick with BA-driver IEMs instead of dynamic driver IEMs. Dynamics just don't have the isolation you get with BAs. And I'm just gonna go for a high-end model again. Once you've reached that plane, the lower-end stuff just isn't satisfying anymore. I want to go for a Westone W40 myself, after I sell the SE535 replacement for my broken SE530.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #21 of 25
  It's not exactly a durability problem, but a flaw in the design. The earwax seems to progressively go deep inside, and some people complain after some time that they are muted.
People that "produce" less earwax, or clean regularly their ear are less likely to notice the problem.

The thing is, I literally clean my ears everyday with Q-tips, so I never have a lot of earwax build up. And still the right earpiece cut out after only 6 months. And I'm quite sure I didn't have a knock-off EPH-100.

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #22 of 25
The thing is, I literally clean my ears everyday with Q-tips, so I never have a lot of earwax build up. And still the right earpiece cut out after only 6 months. And I'm quite sure I didn't have a knock-off EPH-100.

Don't worry those Yamaha are temperamental little buggers. And you know with all the reports of drivers cutting in/out It's always the right side, everytime. Work that one out.

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #23 of 25
Thanks guys.  Decided to go with the Hifiman RE 400 and the Accudio equalizer (appears free and works on my old iPod - many new EQs require a more recent iOS).

Can't wait to hear it! 
etysmile.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #24 of 25
  Thanks guys.  Decided to go with the Hifiman RE 400 and the Accudio equalizer (appears free and works on my old iPod - many new EQs require a more recent iOS).

Can't wait to hear it! 
etysmile.gif

Alright man, hope you enjoy them! In the end I regret not going for the RE-400 as they're more versatile than the EPH-100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back