HIFIMAN Jade II Loaner Tour
Oct 20, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #136 of 167
My name is Nathan Germain. I am a YouTube who reviews headphones and other tech related audio gear. I am interested in reviewing more high end hifiman gear as I bought must sub 450 gear and cannot afford much else. Hope you consider myself for this opportunity.

Nov 8, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #137 of 167
Nov 20, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #138 of 167
Received the US loaner yesterday. Here are my initial impressions:

The headphone is physically very light and fits my head comfortably. The amp is bigger than it looks from the pics.

Soundwise, it's different from my Utopias and I need more time to adjust to its sound signature. It could also be that the amp needs some warmup time but the mids seemed a bit distant. I'll have more time this weekend for an extended listen and critique.

Dec 4, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #142 of 167
Dec 9, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #143 of 167
Hi @TeamHiFiMAN,

I am living in the Netherlands and I own the hifiman edition X v2 which I really love. Before that I own the he500 and he400i, I love hifiman product a lot. Recently I am growing the interest in electrostatic headphone and I already tried Stax L500 with Stax 535x system. I am curious if the loaner tour is still going on in Europe because I would love to participate in this.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #144 of 167
Just received and set up the Jade II loaner about an hour ago.

First impressions:

Easily recognizable as a Hifiman headphone. If you have held any of the most recent offerings (HE6SE, HE5SE, Sundara, Ananda) then you know what you are getting. The headphones are very light but firm and feel solid enough. They provide solid pressure on the side of the head and will not fall off with moderate headshaking.

The amp is a nice design, and as others have stated, larger than i expected. It took a while to warm up as it was on a delivery truck in a snowstorm all morning and it is quite dense. After an hour or so of time in the on position the amp is very warm to the touch. I do notice that i have to turn the dial higher to the noon postion for many songs and even up as high as 2 for normal listening levels. On some low volume songs I can max the thing out. I do wish the stepped volume control had a few more positions (maybe twice as many).

I would have like to see detachable cables on the headphones, but the cable that is built in is nice and light and long enough for use at a desk.

After a short time listening...these are great headphones. I will be comparing them to my Auteurs. Immediately apparent is the detail and spaciousness of the presentation. This system seems to be about as opposite to the ZMF sound that you could have. Whereas the Auteurs are lush and warm, the Jade II's are clear and airy sounding. Bass is actually more satisfying than I was expecting based on reviews of Electrostats. It may not extend into deep rumbling sub bass, but it is very well controlled and immediate with super fast decay.

Ill do some more listening and report back with more thoughts.

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #145 of 167
Hi.
I'm very interested in taking part in the tour. I'm located in Reus, Spain.
I've been in the sundara tour before.
I recently auditioned the Jade in a shop when I traveled to Japan. Definitely the headphone that surprised me the most, even though i tried many other high end headphones.
At home I'm running the focal clear, so I'll be able to compare it with that.
Very cool that you're making these tours.
Kasper

Dec 29, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #146 of 167
20191115131400_IMG_1106-01.jpg

So my first few listens of Jade II where positive! It was snappy, detailed, super quick, open and spacious with a lush mid-range and sparkly top end. However… the more I listened with Jade II the less impressive it became and more problematic it sounded.

For listening purpose I used my RME ADI 2 Dac with XLR Into the Stock Jade II amp, track list is as followed;
  • Beck - Guess I’m Doing Fine
  • Best of Chesky Jazz - Dynamic Test
  • Goat Rodeo - No One But You
The overall tonality of Jade II was mostly uneven at the top and bottom ends with a rushed presentation or envelope to my ears. There’s a obvious forwardness to the upper mid range with a rolled off Low Bass response. I wasn’t a fan of it’s lack of a certain decisive weight or force on the leading edge of sounds and an overall poor ultra low level resolve. To my ears that lack of resolve manifested in that the trailing edge of sounds were often cut short or faded into silence to quickly.

Jade II presents an open and spacious stage with good precision and layering, tho at times it’s a bit incoherent so it sounded fake or a bit forced.

Technically it’s not terrible but the problems with it’s frequency response and presentation make it difficult to appreciate the detail and resolve that is present. An given the price I don’t see any reason to recommend it when there’s options that cost less and simply outperform it without departing from it’s rich light weight and quick presentation.

That said it is pretty, full review is up finally both here on Head Fi in the Head Gear section and on my blog. Video to follow shortly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back