HifiMan Jade II Alternatives?
Nov 3, 2023 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

jack33001

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I just had the opportunity to demo a Hifiman Jade II system, and I was blown away - the imaging and soundstage were unbelievable, it felt like I was having an intimate conversation with every singer I listened to. I loved how open they sounded, and just how much detail was there. I have never heard music like this before, and it was just an incredible experience. The lows left something to be desired, and the build quality was pretty plasticky, which is where my hesitation lies. The seller is offering me the whole system for $800 - is there a better option at this price? I would prefer to buy used, for environmental and budget reasons.

To get an idea of my tastes, some of the other headphones I tried were:

Dan Clark Aeon Open: I enjoyed the response on these, but they just felt too closed; maybe a bit too much low-end as well
Dan Clark Aeon Closed: Much like above, but even more closed. Would probably be my choice for a closed-back
Hifiman Sundara: I liked how open they felt, and the soundstage and imaging were alright, but there was some boxyness in the mids I disliked.
Grado SR325E: Just felt bad. Anything under the low mids was anemic, the ear pads were awful, and they felt pretty closed.
Grado RS2E: Similar to above, but with a more grating high-end.
I currently have a pair of Hifiman HE-400i’s, and I like the openness of those too, they’re just getting pretty worn and they don’t have quite the detail I’m looking for. I would be driving the system out of my Focusrite Clarett 2pre audio interface for the time being, but will eventually be moving up to a more dedicated amp/dac.

I know that I can’t really go wrong upgrading from $200 to $800 headphones, but I figured I should ask around in case. Thank you all!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back