Hifiman HM901S New Flagship DAP
Mar 18, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #631 of 666
I had a problem with my HM-901s battery in October 2015 & April 2016. Both times Hifiman shipped me a replacement battery after I send the defective battery back.  Now again there is now a problem with the battery of my HM-901s, it does not charge. I can operate the player only while connected to the power adapter. Have sent a mail to Hifiman again & waiting for their reply.

Another problem that I had was the 901s had  frozen a couple of times at the start up screen  last year. I solved this by flashing the firmware from SD card & re-setting the player.

If I wasn't so happy with the sound would have sold it long back due to these problems. 

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #632 of 666
  I tried the k3003 which are 8 ohm on low gain, Terrible. Then I tried the isine 20 which is 20 ohm, still hissing. Lastly I tried the SE M-1 which are 45 ohm, I still can pick up a hiss on low gain. The minibox gold has to be designed for very power hungry planar's or dynamic headphones such as the He1k, sennheiser hd800s, ect.. I have talked to plenty of people with experience with Hifiman daps and amp cards. They recommended the new discrete amp card a.k.a Musical amp. The best amp card that is impossible to find, the discrete v3 amp card made by Feng Li. I have a feeling the iem amp card is crap.

Hmmm. I am thinking there might be a bad component in the amp card you got, since I don't recall anyone complaining about hiss from the Minibox Gold. I think the IEM card is just fine based on the opamps used. Anyway - you are moving on. Good luck with the new amp card.

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #634 of 666
it suppose to slot in the card but came loose easily.. give a comparison with mini box gold and share yr results thx..

the musical card is wonderful for female vocal but i dislike the noise interference it got from nearby electronics 

Apr 25, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #635 of 666
Hi, new here, I'm selling my HM901S with both Minibox Gold and Balanced card.
I would create a thread as soon as my 30 first days will be done but you can send me a PM while waiting.

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #636 of 666
Hello Gents!

I'm curious about something, is it a known bug, or is it malfunction?

So my 901S (+ minibox gold) messes up about every time it changes from higher sampling and bitrate back to lower, e.g. 24 bit 96kHz to 16 bit 44.1kHz.
The music stucks constantly (my translate page says discursive or intermittent, I don't know the right word. There are gaps constantly in playback, plays everything, but stops every fraction of the second), it's unlistenable.
If I change upwards in quality, there's no such problem.

Strangely, listening to higher sampled and bitrate music for a while solves the problem. Then I can change back to lower quality, and it works. Switch it back and forth again, and you are screwed once more. :D
For this reason I can not use the random playback mode.

I don't know for sure if it's caused by the change of the sampling rate or the bitrate, because most of the time they go together.
Does anyone else know this phenomenon?

Cheers!
Attila

Aug 21, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #637 of 666
Hello Gents!

I'm curious about something, is it a known bug, or is it malfunction?

So my 901S (+ minibox gold) messes up about every time it changes from higher sampling and bitrate back to lower, e.g. 24 bit 96kHz to 16 bit 44.1kHz.
The music stucks constantly (my translate page says discursive or intermittent, I don't know the right word. There are gaps constantly in playback, plays everything, but stops every fraction of the second), it's unlistenable.
If I change upwards in quality, there's no such problem.

Strangely, listening to higher sampled and bitrate music for a while solves the problem. Then I can change back to lower quality, and it works. Switch it back and forth again, and you are screwed once more. :D
For this reason I can not use the random playback mode.

I don't know for sure if it's caused by the change of the sampling rate or the bitrate, because most of the time they go together.
Does anyone else know this phenomenon?

Cheers!
Attila
I don't experience the same issues as you. However, I do have some issues when playing "Favorites": The player won't play certain 24-bit tracks (it appears to play, but no sound), but when I play the same track in it's folder, it will play. So, I think there is a firmware issue when playing mixed albums (shuffle, favorites etc.) with different bit depths (and sample rates).

If you want to call it a bug or malfunction ... it's the same to me!

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #638 of 666
I don't experience the same issues as you. However, I do have some issues when playing "Favorites": The player won't play certain 24-bit tracks (it appears to play, but no sound), but when I play the same track in it's folder, it will play. So, I think there is a firmware issue when playing mixed albums (shuffle, favorites etc.) with different bit depths (and sample rates).

If you want to call it a bug or malfunction ... it's the same to me!

I'm experiencing this even if I choose the tracks from their independent folders.
What I meant to say/ask with the "bug or malfunction" question: is this phenomenon well known, or applies only to my unit?

The first option is better, because there is a chance of being repaired in the future via software updates. Unit problem means I'm screwed (but I kinda learned how to live with this already...) Just wondering, how much better it would be without it, and whether it has any affect on SQ, with which I'm quite satisfied.

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #639 of 666
I can't say how many more has the same issue, but we are at least two... It am confident that it's a firmware issue since the DAP will play the files in "normal" situations.

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #643 of 666
Mar 14, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #644 of 666
I might have it. Why would you prefer to go back to 2.003 ?

Based on what I've read it would seem there is a difference in overall sound between 2.004 and 2.003. I of course haven't compared before but am curious. Would you/could you say anything from your experience about the two? I know that 2.004 allowed for DSD but as it would have it I have none at my disposal at the moment.

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #645 of 666
Based on what I've read it would seem there is a difference in overall sound between 2.004 and 2.003. I of course haven't compared before but am curious. Would you/could you say anything from your experience about the two? I know that 2.004 allowed for DSD but as it would have it I have none at my disposal at the moment.
I didn't hear even the subtlest sonic difference. I seriously doubt there will be any difference from a technical point of view too. How should the sound change? (given the same settings)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back