Hifiman HM1000: Worlds first Quad PCM 1704 DAP
May 9, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #31 of 585
May 9, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #32 of 585
Struggling to describe it? Struggling to like it?
Bit of both, it sounds too neutral, which means it has no characteristic of its own. I can hear it perform, however it is music dependent.
In order for me to hear its best sound, I need to use my phone as a source, as the windows driver is not allowing me to hear it for what it truly is.

May 9, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #33 of 585
The success of this device is based on how well HFM stabilize their software. From my past experience with R2R2K
I didn't think software development is one of HFM's key strength so it's rather skeptical for now. Why can't they just make
a normal operating DAP with the touch screen and all with these wonderful R2R chips.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #34 of 585
The success of this device is based on how well HFM stabilize their software. From my past experience with R2R2K
I didn't think software development is one of HFM's key strength so it's rather skeptical for now. Why can't they just make
a normal operating DAP with the touch screen and all with these wonderful R2R chips.
Maybe they can't, so best for them would be to associate with someone like Lotoo.

May 9, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #35 of 585
Update: 10-May

I've begun letting the battery discharge and recharge, testing the battery life claim of HM1000. In getting 8.5 hours via blue tooth streaming. Call me crazy, but recharing and discharging the unit has opened up the sound a little.
The battery life is much better than r2r2k. HM1000 gets really hot, I say around 65 degrees C.

May 10, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #36 of 585
I'm referring to the sound that R2R chip creates, in general.

But would you say the HM1000 still has the "typical characteristics" of the R2R chips? From my limited experience with these chips I guess it`s this type of warmish, smooth "analoge" sound, right? Like the R2R2000. But you wrote the HM1000 sounds very different?

Also from your description the HM2000 does not sound like the typical device people would spend 4000 dollars on? May I ask for your honest first impression about price/cost performance after spending so much money on it?

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #37 of 585

Totally agree on your concerns about Hifiman and software (as you might know from the R2R2k thread)!

Though, me, I really like Hifiman`s idea of a screenless device that one can connect to basically any other device to get great audio from it and use it`s screen. If it really works and sounds great then this is much more practical/flexible in daily life than a DAP imo.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #38 of 585
HM1000 noise floor is considerably lower than what it was on R2R2K. So far all the balance armature IEM that I have paired it with has performed far better than what I remember they did with r2r2000.

HUM Pristine is my go to IEM when I want to test dynamic and tonality of a dac/amp. So far I'm, really liking what I hear.

I'm doing my best to get my hand on Oscar XXI, few of my mainland china friend recommend the Oscar XXI as the IEM for HM1000. Hopefully I can get a loaner unit.

May 10, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #39 of 585
HM1000 noise floor is considerably lower than what it was on R2R2K. So far all the balance armature IEM that I have paired it with has performed far better than what I remember they did with r2r2000.

HUM Pristine is my go to IEM when I want to test dynamic and tonality of a dac/amp. So far I'm, really liking what I hear.

I'm doing my best to get my hand on Oscar XXI, few of my mainland china friend recommend the Oscar XXI as the IEM for HM1000. Hopefully I can get a loaner unit.

Never heard of Oscar XXI - but just looked it up. 5000 Dollars! Omg! You seem to have a fetish for cost-is-no-objective audio gear! 😬😬😬

But seriously, is your personal first impression that HM1000‘s moon price is justified in a way that it has something that other Flagships have not?
And do you still recognize the R2R type of sound?

Sorry to repeat my questions, but I am really interested in these two aspects...

May 10, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #40 of 585
Never heard of Oscar XXI - but just looked it up. 5000 Dollars! Omg! You seem to have a fetish for cost-is-no-objective audio gear! 😬😬😬

But seriously, is your personal first impression that HM1000‘s moon price is justified in a way that it has something that other Flagships have not?

Sorry to repeat my questions, but I am really interested in these two aspects...

I think DMP-Z1 is a far better deal for what you get. HM1000 sound is changing each day, I think the military grade silver SMD need long time to break in.
Next week I might have an idea about sound, I haven't done my kse1500 test yet.
Is the price justified?Hell no, but I'm in too deep ton care anymore. Now days the competition is so stiff that you get much better value at the lower entry. For example r2r2000 red tonality is great value compared to r2r2000 black.

Oscar XXI will be only a loaner, I don't have any money to buy anything anymore:D

May 10, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #42 of 585

In HK You can buy them with 50% discount)))
I liked the sound of r2r2k red very much, but the usability and amplification were awful.
As for me DMPZ1 is overpriced device, I’m judging just SQ.

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #44 of 585
I'm thinking of trading my black R2R2000 with the HM1000. They have currently a buy back offer in China for R2R2000. Wondering if it will be worth it..
I like the fact that R2R2000 can play files from SD card. Seems the HM1000 will be able to do that as well, although no idea when that will be enabled.

May 12, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #45 of 585
I'm thinking of trading my black R2R2000 with the HM1000. They have currently a buy back offer in China for R2R2000. Wondering if it will be worth it..
I like the fact that R2R2000 can play files from SD card. Seems the HM1000 will be able to do that as well, although no idea when that will be enabled.
Think every dap plays from an SD card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back