HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Sep 21, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #1,351 of 3,445
I STILL don't understand why doesn't Fang just open source the firmware or parts of it and let the community just fix this stuff MUCH MUCH faster than what his current release schedule is (its a simple matter of labor).

The bootloader part of the firmware is probably proprietary to the SoC supplier. While open source can be great sometime, it doesn't mean you can just give code away especially if you already sign a contract that prevents you for doing so.

Sep 21, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #1,354 of 3,445
I have 12 albums in DSDDFF I got from Blue Coast records and have no problems with any of them, They all play just fine.

Sep 21, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #1,355 of 3,445

Just tried my HM-901 as DAC between SB Touch and Soloist. It works - and sounds good!
Edit / Correction: Sounds VERY good! I literally sat with my jaw dropped...

Sep 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #1,357 of 3,445
I haven't planned on getting the dock to mini. Probably won't get it because I don't plan using the 901 with portable amps. To me a portable DAP is a one box solution.

The dock to RCA in the picture is the one I got with the player.

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #1,358 of 3,445
So far unbalanced is sounding better than balanced mode? Is my amp defective? Uh-oh 
confused.gif

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #1,359 of 3,445
  So far unbalanced is sounding better than balanced mode? Is my amp defective? Uh-oh 
confused.gif

Interesting. To my ear, the balanced mode is better and easily discernible. 

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #1,362 of 3,445
Something's up.

The HM-901 has disappeared from HiFiMan's website, and it seems to have also disappeared and is no longer orderable online, for example, it's no longer on Google Shopping, Amazon, etc.

I wonder what this means for the future of the product, and for the people who want one but haven't ordered one yet.

No, it's still available on head-direct. It is simply out of stock

http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=158

" Out of stock for now. Preorders will be shipped in late September. "

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #1,363 of 3,445
With balanced mode, things sound compressed, squished in, and muddy. Is it possible that the balanced part of the amp needs a few days of burn in? Or maybe it is just defective ://

Something is wrong. In balanced it is more open and dynamic. Everything improves. 

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #1,364 of 3,445
With balanced mode, things sound compressed, squished in, and muddy. Is it possible that the balanced part of the amp needs a few days of burn in? Or maybe it is just defective ://

Which iem/hp you using it with that give u this compressed sound? This is definitely not for my case with my balanced cabled (in balance mode) IEM or SE cabled (in normal mode) IEM with the balanced amp board. As jamato mentioned everything is a clear improvement over stock amp board.

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #1,365 of 3,445
Which iem/hp you using it with that give u this compressed sound? This is definitely not for my case with my balanced cabled (in balance mode) IEM or SE cabled (in normal mode) IEM with the balanced amp board. As jamato mentioned everything is a clear improvement over stock amp board.

Im using the hidition nt6 pro. I only use the balanced amp, and in normal mode it sounds clearer and better than when the amp is in balanced mode. I think something might be seriously wrong with my 901 or the amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back