HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Aug 28, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #1,126 of 3,445
Quote:

Received my JH16Pro today. So pumped. Though I'm not getting a lot of punch in the bass department when pairing with the HM-901, and I'm using the balance card which is supposed to offer better extension and punchiness with bass...?

They say balanced armature needs no burn in. I found mine did but it could have been the wire. I found better focus and a tighter bass with a little bit of time. And, the aftermarket cable Twag V2 also increased the bass foundation and improved the overall sound. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #1,127 of 3,445
Quote:
They say balanced armature needs no burn in. I found mine did but it could have been the wire. I found better focus and a tighter bass with a little bit of time. And, the aftermarket cable Twag V2 also increased the bass foundation and improved the overall sound. 

Hmm... My old JH16Pro did improve after I bought and used the Twag V2 cable. Thinking about doing a cable-swap for my new 16s too. But I don't want to buy the Twag again, not because its bad, but mainly due to my so-called second-purchase syndrome. Any suggestions?

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #1,128 of 3,445
Hmm... My old JH16Pro did improve after I bought and used the Twag V2 cable. Thinking about doing a cable-swap for my new 16s too. But I don't want to buy the Twag again, not because its bad, but mainly due to my so-called second-purchase syndrome. Any suggestions?

Double Helix Cables

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #1,129 of 3,445

Just got a 901, and upgraded my old TWAG v2 OM to a Toxic Cables Silver Widow. A very worthwhile upgrade. More clarity, detail and spaciousness.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #1,131 of 3,445
Quote:
I have been thinking of doing this- I can do 801 vs 901 -> coaxial -> speaker amp to he6, and as soon as my cable arrives I will also do 801 vs 901 -> mini to mini -> portaphile 627 to my current favs, shure se846

Maybe this weekend
smily_headphones1.gif

Used as a DAC to feed my Temple Audio Batam Gold speaker amp and then to my HE6, my 801 just sounds incredibly analogue and tubey. There is a beautiful romantic emphasis on the mid-range. The 901 in contrast sounds more 'digital'. Better bass, better treble, but mid-range is less magical, less lush. My Audio-Gd DAC9 (same DAC chip as the 801) in contrast sounds the most digital of all, although the bass and treble and detail retrieval is even better.

Personally I would put it this way- the 901 is clearly technically superior to the 801. But for my preferences (I'm a sucker for this type of sound), I would reach for the 801. For more modern music (hip hop, etc), though, I think the 901 would be a much better choice.

Makes me glad I did not sell my 801.

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #1,132 of 3,445
Quote:

Used as a DAC to feed my Temple Audio Batam Gold speaker amp and then to my HE6, my 801 just sounds incredibly analogue and tubey. There is a beautiful romantic emphasis on the mid-range. The 901 in contrast sounds more 'digital'. Better bass, better treble, but mid-range is less magical, less lush. My Audio-Gd DAC9 (same DAC chip as the 801) in contrast sounds the most digital of all, although the bass and treble and detail retrieval is even better.

Personally I would put it this way- the 901 is clearly technically superior to the 801. But for my preferences (I'm a sucker for this type of sound), I would reach for the 801. For more modern music (hip hop, etc), though, I think the 901 would be a much better choice.

You would prefer 801 if you're into the pcm1704 type sound in the DAC9 .  For me I opted for NFB-28 also with ess9018 over the reference 10.32 as I prefer the better resolution, more air, and deeper bass extension.  But I still might be very tempted for a ref 10.33.....

Would be great if Fang would do a replaceable DAC section in his next flagship (while reduce the size, extending battery, eliminate bugs, and make it cheaper while he is at it....)...
We can dream right? RIGHT?! 
size]

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #1,134 of 3,445
Quote:
I am in the 1.080 I think, so ulterior fws fix bugs. I have two main problems. I am now in exfat and the player sometimes just fails and resets. Only happened once since I am in exfat but still. The second is that any navigation but folder navigation is crappy...and my tags are squeaky clean.

I am exclusively using folder nav now... hack it even made me go folders on AK as it is faster with the two 64gb cards.

The failing thing happened a few times to me over the past few weeks and seems to always happen when I'm in the subway stations near my home and my office.  Not able to reproduce them but I'm suspecting if EMI from cell stations or some sort of interference is causing it.  Annoying for sure especially it does reboot that quickly.... this also happened once or twice when I was on 1.076.

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #1,136 of 3,445
Quote:
Thanks as usual kkcc. Are you using a case for the 901?

Nope.  It is not like there is wood, laquer/polished finish, or brushed aluminum to be protected as it is just freaking plastic lol.... and it is bulky enough as is for carrying them in my pants pocket.  
To its credit while ugly those plastic are actually very scratch-resistant.  Has no scratch or whatsoever thus far and I never pampered it....  

Aug 30, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #1,137 of 3,445
Hi jelt2359,

Thanks very much for this 801 vs. 901 comparison of Line Outs.  It's nice to read an opinion that includes the "spirit" of the gear, as well as the technicals.

Going on what you've written, I think I'm going to enjoy the 801 that should be here in five days, more so than I would the 901.

Mike

Quote:

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #1,139 of 3,445
Quote:

even with the stock cable on my balanced amp card, i find it pretty punchy on my jh16fp. Haven't been able to find a way to remove the cable lol. it fits pretty tight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back