HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Mar 31, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #46 of 3,445
Quote:
Does this suggest that both HM-901 and DX100 are on the same level of performance, despite a case of 2 Sabre ESS9018 for HM-901 versus 1 Sabre chip for DX100?

Able to share which firmware of DX100 was used for comparison?
Because it has been shown that a change in firmware resulted in significant changes in the DX100 sound as well.
This suggest that with further updates, iBasso may be able to tune the DX100 to sound like HM-901 without needing the extra Sabre chip.

Personally, i like that the DX100 has that little more air as it gives each live concerts recording a unique atmosphere.
Not like it sounds like any other concerts but you can hear it is unique to that concert.
However, this can only be heard with a very neutral sounding custom such as JH13pro. Didn't get this with the Heir 8.A (warmth masking the air).

I use the 1.2.7 firmware. The later ones I do not like and the sound, IMO, degrades. The UI for me is just fine and I have zero issues.

The DX100 has a little more air/openness to the sound. The 901 slightly warmer, which bodes well for classical and thankfully it is not too warm, just a touch. Too much and the sound would not be for me. Even when I built tube gear I always went for neutral and never the "warm" tube sound, as I can't stand it. The 901 will have other amp modules and hearing those will give me more of a overall opinion on the DX and 901 comparison since the personality of the 901 is bound to change. I doubt iBasso will tune the DX to sound like the 901. They will go for how they feel they want it to sound. I still need to try the JH13's with both in a comparison. The AK100 with the JH13's is a match made in musical heaven. I have no 22ohm resistor in the signal path of the AK100. The 901 and the DX100 are both better than the AK100. I think besides the Tera Player, which I never heard, we are looking at the top of the heap here.

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #47 of 3,445
Quote:
I use the 1.2.7 firmware. The later ones I do not like and the sound, IMO, degrades. The UI for me is just fine and I have zero issues.

The DX100 has a little more air/openness to the sound. The 901 slightly warmer, which bodes well for classical and thankfully it is not too warm, just a touch. Too much and the sound would not be for me. Even when I built tube gear I always went for neutral and never the "warm" tube sound, as I can't stand it. The 901 will have other amp modules and hearing those will give me more of a overall opinion on the DX and 901 comparison since the personality of the 901 is bound to change. I doubt iBasso will tune the DX to sound like the 901. They will go for how they feel they want it to sound. I still need to try the JH13's with both in a comparison. The AK100 with the JH13's is a match made in musical heaven. I have no 22ohm resistor in the signal path of the AK100. The 901 and the DX100 are both better than the AK100. I think besides the Tera Player, which I never heard, we are looking at the top of the heap here.

Wow.. Many Thanks for the detailed impression, Jamato.
smile.gif

Think i share the same taste in sound as you. A touch of warm is the sweet spot for me.
Is safe to say the HM-901 is at least as impressive as the DX100 and perhaps more flexible with changeable amp boards.
To me, the AK100 (with 22ohm resistor) is a very decent player with the JH13 but next to DX100, it just doesn't fare well.

Oh yes, when power up and switching off the HM-901, does it have the POP sound like DX100?
That's the only major issue i have with the DX100.

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #48 of 3,445
Quote:

Wow.. Many Thanks for the detailed impression, Jamato.
smile.gif

Think i share the same taste in sound as you. A touch of warm is the sweet spot for me.
Is safe to say the HM-901 is at least as impressive as the DX100 and perhaps more flexible with changeable amp boards.
To me, the AK100 (with 22ohm resistor) is a very decent player with the JH13 but next to DX100, it just doesn't fare well.

Oh yes, when power up and switching off the HM-901, does it have the POP sound like DX100?
That's the only major issue i have with the DX100.

No pop with the 901.

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #51 of 3,445
I am listening to the 901 with the internal amp to Beethoven's 9th, Richard Hickox conducting and it is some of the best sound I have ever heard with this complex and dynamic music. It holds together as well as a good home system with speakers and plenty of power. There is no collapse of the soundstage and dynamics never fail nor the magnitude of the sound.

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #54 of 3,445
I am feeling the 901 crave! Oh my... 

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #55 of 3,445
I have been listening with the JH13's and the 901. Very detailed in a good way. On some of my jazz recordings you can hear the slap of the pads on a sax or clarinet. While this isn't needed for musical enjoyment, the sound is there and can lead to a feeling of being up close to the music, which for me, can add to the realism. Bass drive is very good with well balanced approach in that it does not intrude but is seamless. Obviously the highs are there and male voice is not bassy (not a real word but I like it) but controlled and realistic.

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #56 of 3,445
Quote:
Well keep your pants up, I still cannot find it hee in China
frown.gif

Am on to my 2nd pair of suspenders just to hold them up
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I have been listening with the JH13's and the 901. Very detailed in a good way. On some of my jazz recordings you can hear the slap of the pads on a sax or clarinet. While this isn't needed for musical enjoyment, the sound is there and can lead to a feeling of being up close to the music, which for me, can add to the realism. Bass drive is very good with well balanced approach in that it does not intrude but is seamless. Obviously the highs are there and male voice is not bassy (not a real word but I like it) but controlled and realistic.

Seems like the HM-901 took the DX100 sound and made significant refinements to it.
The added realism is something to look forward to.

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #58 of 3,445
Quote:
I wrote mail to hifiman China in my poor Chinese, we will see what they say...

English works just fine. Probably easier for both of you. :^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back