HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Mar 27, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #31 of 3,445
Okay, thanks for clarifying.

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #33 of 3,445
Quote:
future DAPS 100 year from now

They are something like a changeling, Whatever you want, you got.

I like the way the 901 takes either micro SD cards (with the adapter) or standard SD cards and right now, you can get SD cards in 128gb at a reasonable price. It also takes maybe 15 seconds to have the music ready to go once the card is inserted.

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #34 of 3,445
Quote:
They are something like a changeling, Whatever you want, you got.

I like the way the 901 takes either micro SD cards (with the adapter) or standard SD cards and right now, you can get SD cards in 128gb at a reasonable price. It also takes maybe 15 seconds to have the music ready to go once the card is inserted.

Are you saying that the HM-901 only uses 15 seconds to read a 128GB card full of music? If that's true, then it is really fast! Or is it when it already has read the catalog / files and just checks for new files or changes?

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #35 of 3,445
Quote:
Are you saying that the HM-901 only uses 15 seconds to read a 128GB card full of music? If that's true, then it is really fast! Or is it when it already has read the catalog / files and just checks for new files or changes?

I don't have a 128. I have 64gb micro cards. I will time it to give an exact time of cue up from putting in a new card. Because it is a basic UI, no android, there isn't the filling system android uses. With the old iRiver H140 and a 120gb HD, as soon as you turned on the unit, from an empty HD to a full one for the first time, there was no lag time. That was a basic system for sure but I use RockBox and liked it a lot.

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #36 of 3,445
Nice. I just checked and saw that the "promised" 256GB SDXC card is on the market. However, it is incredibly expensive at this time.
http://www.picstop.co.uk/memory-cards/sdxc-memory-card
Two 128GB cards is the way to go so far ...

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #37 of 3,445
Give it a year and the 256 will tumble in price just as the 128's have.
I must admit I used to be a big proponent of my old classics 160G hard drive but since getting the 801 I love having cards no bigger than 32g and ideally 16g and having a library of different genres for each card. I find now I am listening to far more music as it is all a little more effort to switch between genres with having to power down each time one wants to switch cards. Reminds me of the old days with vinyl and CD!

Mar 28, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #38 of 3,445
Hey jamato8,

Have you listened to see how well gapless flac playback was (if at all) implemented?  How about gapless for any of the other music file type?
Thanks!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #40 of 3,445
You don't need to power off the 801 when changing SD cards. Just eject and insert the new one and the do a rescan.
Give it a year and the 256 will tumble in price just as the 128's have.
I must admit I used to be a big proponent of my old classics 160G hard drive but since getting the 801 I love having cards no bigger than 32g and ideally 16g and having a library of different genres for each card. I find now I am listening to far more music as it is all a little more effort to switch between genres with having to power down each time one wants to switch cards. Reminds me of the old days with vinyl and CD!

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #41 of 3,445
Oh thats great Lars. Eric from HiFiMan said I should but if you have had no ill effects that saves a little time and effort, thanks for the advice.

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #42 of 3,445
Oh thats great Lars. Eric from HiFiMan said I should but if you have had no ill effects that saves a little time and effort, thanks for the advice.

I have done this many, many times. If the latest track is from the SD card, then you will get some noise from the outputs after a little while, but if you play a track from the onboard memory before ejecting, then all is well. Just stop the music before pulling out the card.

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #43 of 3,445
Quote:
Hey jamato8,

Have you listened to see how well gapless flac playback was (if at all) implemented?  How about gapless for any of the other music file type?
Thanks! Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

No gappless yet. I suspect they are working on it.

I have been listening to Beethoven's 6th Symphony conducted by Norington and I am thoroughly enjoying in. Great dynamics very good imaging with excellent instrument timber. Horns are well fleshed out and the underlying bass is well controlled natural in the delivery. A nice width and decent depth. Very smooth and yet dynamic. This is on my ATH-ESW10's.  I dosed off, almost and then in the 4th movement a passage hit with a lot of dynamics and was like a shot of caffeine. Very nicely handled!

Mar 30, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #44 of 3,445
I am looking forward to trying other amplifier boards with the 901.

At this point, I find that the 901 does excellent with classical music. It retrieves the right amount of detail while preserving the feel of the hall. Strings have that sweet singing sound. Horns sound like horns and wood instruments the right timbre. This goes for small groups to orchestras on a large scale.

Both the 901 and the DX100 do these things well, just in a little different manner. The DX100 has a little more air, much like to different venues. Depth wise, nearly the same with a little wider portrayal on the DX and depth about the same. Both DAPs are very fast, meaning they do not muddy the sound with lows bleeding into the lower mids and over shoot of other frequencies.

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #45 of 3,445
Does this suggest that both HM-901 and DX100 are on the same level of performance, despite a case of 2 Sabre ESS9018 for HM-901 versus 1 Sabre chip for DX100?

Able to share which firmware of DX100 was used for comparison?
Because it has been shown that a change in firmware resulted in significant changes in the DX100 sound as well.
This suggest that with further updates, iBasso may be able to tune the DX100 to sound like HM-901 without needing the extra Sabre chip.

Personally, i like that the DX100 has that little more air as it gives each live concerts recording a unique atmosphere.
Not like it sounds like any other concerts but you can hear it is unique to that concert.
However, this can only be heard with a very neutral sounding custom such as JH13pro. Didn't get this with the Heir 8.A (warmth masking the air).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back