HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Aug 10, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #2,896 of 3,445

So,using the HiFiMAN 801 + GAME Card and the FiiO E12,Also By Pass the Game Card,,no? 

Yes, if you use the line out plug on the 801, you will bypass the GAME (or any other internal) amp. This is because both HM-901 and HM-801 have true line out.

If you want to run your (full size) headphones balanced with HM-801 you can also get the balanced amp for the HM-801. It has a protruding box on the back of the player with a female TRRS plug. One of the advances with the HM-901 was that the balanced plug became integrated in the player.

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #2,898 of 3,445
Hi Fermelon, after days earinf the 901+Balanced Card,using The Grado 225i Headphones and comparing to my H.M 801 + fIIo E12 Mont Blanc, Ampli, I must admit that the 901 Balanced has a much better sound .
So if the HM-901 Line out Dock Cable will bypass the Balanced Card,I will not use.
The amplification section in the HM-901 it's "any of the cards", so when you use the line out you get the signal before the cards and gets a line level output (like a cd player) to use with external amplification like a full size stereo system. Of course you can use any amp that you like, and the balanced amp that you mention looks quite good, but you have to keep in mind that you need fix all the cables needed and that there's one more box with another battery to carry on. Also you should keep in mind, when you evaluate the possible advantages of the raysamuels', that the price tag of the raysamuel's includes the extra box and all the interconectors and volume control section that the HM-901 cards doesn't need or are already included in the player. It would be useful to know exactly the components and specs to evaluate if it's any better than the hifiman's cards and don't get fooled by the price tag.

Aug 14, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #2,900 of 3,445
  Hey, hope anyone can answer, but is there a way to convert DSF files to DSD? I tried loading some on the Hifiman hm 901 but seems like DSF is not supported.

install audiogate , then convert your dsf to dff

for window
http://i.korg.com/uploads/Download/USA_AudioGate_2_3_3.zip

for mac

http://i.korg.com/uploads/Download/USA_AudioGate_2_3_3.dmg

http://i.korg.com/SupportPage.aspx?productid=707

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #2,902 of 3,445
The amplification section in the HM-901 it's "any of the cards", so when you use the line out you get the signal before the cards and gets a line level output (like a cd player) to use with external amplification like a full size stereo system. Of course you can use any amp that you like, and the balanced amp that you mention looks quite good, but you have to keep in mind that you need fix all the cables needed and that there's one more box with another battery to carry on. In the other hand I think that the price tag of the raysamuel's includes the extra box and all the interconectors and volume control section that the HM-901 cards doesn't need or are already included in the player. It would be more useful to know exactly the components and specs to evaluate if it's any better than the hifiman's cards.

Why would you run an outboard amp when the built in balanced one is already spec'ed out quite nicely? Doesn't make sense to me.

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #2,903 of 3,445
Why would you run an outboard amp when the built in balanced one is already spec'ed out quite nicely? Doesn't make sense to me.
Obviously our friend it's looking for an improvement in SQ from what the HM901 offer with the balanced card. I agree that the SQ and the convenience from the HiFiMan's cards are hard to beat but you can not be sure (at least about SQ). I'm just saying you can try as many options as you patience and wallet can handle but if you ask my opinion, yes the raysamuels' looks quite good but better than the balanced card? I don't know but you can not tell just for the price tag. You need a spec sheet to compare and even then the only real test is A/B. Anyway knowing the spec can give you an idea of its worth the effort.

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #2,904 of 3,445
Obviously our friend it's looking for an improvement in SQ from what the HM901 offer with the balanced card. I agree that the SQ and the convenience from the HiFiMan's cards are hard to beat but you can not be sure (at least about SQ). I'm just saying you can try as many options as you patience and wallet can handle but if you ask my opinion, yes the raysamuels' looks quite good but better than the balanced card? I don't know but you can not tell just for the price tag. You need a spec sheet to compare and even then the only real test is A/B. Anyway knowing the spec can give you an idea of its worth the effort.

Not a big fan of RSA but I agree, a real A/B test would help.

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #2,905 of 3,445
Just sent my 901 back to hifiman...discovered that the phone jack may have bad contact when switching to balance mode.... I am ready get my mind blown again of the balance awesomeness when i get my unit back again

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #2,906 of 3,445
Just sent my 901 back to hifiman...discovered that the phone jack may have bad contact when switching to balance mode.... I am ready get my mind blown again of the balance awesomeness when i get my unit back again

Sorry to hear that, hope it gets repaired swiftly. How did you find out you had a bad connection? My HM-901 jack is rather loose fitting compared to all my other audio sources. 

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #2,907 of 3,445
Sorry to hear that, hope it gets repaired swiftly. How did you find out you had a bad connection? My HM-901 jack is rather loose fitting compared to all my other audio sources. 

When switching to bal mode (with bal card), it would produce this white noise on one side ...tried 4 sets of cable already and insert/reinsert the cards many times

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #2,908 of 3,445
Hey guys, an all-time lurker, first-time poster here!
what's the rough sound signature of the angel card in comparison to the balanced card? anyone know its rough price too?
and um what's the differences of the sound signature of the new discrete and the angel card? thanks!

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #2,909 of 3,445
  Hey guys, an all-time lurker, first-time poster here!
what's the rough sound signature of the angel card in comparison to the balanced card? anyone know its rough price too?
and um what's the differences of the sound signature of the new discrete and the angel card? thanks!

The Angel card, I assume you are referring to the card from the maker in China, isn't very expensive. 

Aug 26, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #2,910 of 3,445
  The Angel card, I assume you are referring to the card from the maker in China, isn't very expensive. 

This card isn't available new anymore, and it's pretty scarce on second hand market. If they do show up, the price is pretty high (at least 50% higher than its original price). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back