HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Aug 28, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #2,926 of 3,445
Oh, i didn't know that other cards do not offer balanced mode. Guess i'll try out the IEM card and see how it goes from there. I'm pretty sure i'll never get my hands on one of those phantom cards you mentioned :) 

Aug 29, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #2,927 of 3,445
  I'm pairing my JH Roxanne with the balanced card, but sometimes wished I had a little bit more control over the volume. The step increments are too large with the balanced card and now i'm considering on getting an IEM card instead. How does the SQ compare to the balanced card? Thanks. 

For me, I feel the balanced card gives slightly more details but overall details are not as nuanced or refined as on the IEM card. Case of quality and quantity. This is of coz to my ears.  

Also as @kkcc said, the staging is definitely wider on the balanced card with better volume control with these two being the most similar in sound compared to the rest. 

Aug 29, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #2,928 of 3,445
For me, I feel the balanced card gives slightly more details but overall details are not as nuanced or refined as on the IEM card. Case of quality and quantity. This is of coz to my ears.  

Also as @kkcc said, the staging is definitely wider on the balanced card with better volume control with these two being the most similar in sound compared to the rest. 

Agree with kkcc and awry: the balanced card is a bit "blunt" in its sig; the iem card still has the most refined sig and best volume control. :)

Aug 29, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #2,929 of 3,445
Thanks for the input... you guys have helped me make up my mind to purchase the IEM card lol. I've been on an audio spending spree for the past month.... not a good sign 
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #2,930 of 3,445
It does make it very interesting to have all the card options. Trying the 3rd party V1.2 discrete card right now. Excellent extension, width and depth. Shows what the 901 can do. 

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #2,931 of 3,445
Is anyone having any issues downloading the new beta? I can't seem to get the 901 to update with it. 

Never mind. I got it to work. I had to download the zip again. 

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #2,933 of 3,445
It does make it very interesting to have all the card options. Trying the 3rd party V1.2 discrete card right now. Excellent extension, width and depth. Shows what the 901 can do. 

Yes, the latest discrete card is really the best sounding amp card to me. I've sold all other amp cards 'cause I don't think I'd use any of them at all. The only problem is the battery can't last for more than 5 hours with this card in. But I got two batteries and an external charger, not really a big deal.

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #2,934 of 3,445
Yes, the latest discrete card is really the best sounding amp card to me. I've sold all other amp cards 'cause I don't think I'd use any of them at all. The only problem is the battery can't last for more than 5 hours with this card in. But I got two batteries and an external charger, not really a big deal.

Thanks. And where may I get the v1.2 discreet card?

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #2,940 of 3,445
Unless someone decides to sell the card here ...

I am sure there will be other cards. And with the competition for amp cards for the 901, initiated by Hifiman, there should be some fun with new cards. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back