HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Aug 26, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #2,911 of 3,445
  This card isn't available new anymore, and it's pretty scarce on second hand market. If they do show up, the price is pretty high (at least 50% higher than its original price). 

They weren't that expensive. I got one for around 11 dollars. 

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #2,912 of 3,445
They weren't that expensive. I got one for around 11 dollars. 

11! Your dollar is definitely magnitudes stronger than my dollar....!

Aug 26, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #2,914 of 3,445
I don't know where you got yours, it's definitely selling for more than 200USD on second hand market in China.

Interesting. Guess I got a good deal. The parts don't cost much money. Maybe mine isn't real. :^)  What does it say on the pcb of yours?

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #2,915 of 3,445
  Interesting. Guess I got a good deal. The parts don't cost much money. Maybe mine isn't real. :^)  What does it say on the pcb of yours?

Sorry I don't have an angle card but the discrete card only. The angle card should look like this:

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #2,916 of 3,445
Ok, well that is why I got mine for so little, it is different than that. Mine is a type of discrete card. 

Aug 28, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #2,917 of 3,445
Ok, well that is why I got mine for so little, it is different than that. Mine is a type of discrete card. 

There are a total of 4 know versions of the Discrete card made by ksen. I understand that the first two editions are sorta like alpha/beta and could be had on the cheap as the maker basically gave them away. The 3rd edition is sold by the maker around usd100, and the latest edition (aka the "remake" or "improved" or "yellow" discrete card) is sold around usd120. These two later editions are the ones usually seen in used sale (sometimes at a profit).

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #2,918 of 3,445
There are a total of 4 know versions of the Discrete card made by ksen. I understand that the first two editions are sorta like alpha/beta and could be had on the cheap as the maker basically gave them away. The 3rd edition is sold by the maker around usd100, and the latest edition (aka the "remake" or "improved" or "yellow" discrete card) is sold around usd120. These two later editions are the ones usually seen in used sale (sometimes at a profit).

Oh, I see. Well so much is available and to be honest, I haven't kept up with it. Mine is yellow and V 1.2. I sounds very good. So any idea how many 3rd party cards are available? 

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #2,920 of 3,445
So the yellow v1.2 was the latest of the discrete?

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #2,921 of 3,445
So the yellow v1.2 was the latest of the discrete?

Yes. The yellow card (with says v1.2 on the board) is the latest and I wished I got my for $11....

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #2,922 of 3,445
I'm pairing my JH Roxanne with the balanced card, but sometimes wished I had a little bit more control over the volume. The step increments are too large with the balanced card and now i'm considering on getting an IEM card instead. How does the SQ compare to the balanced card? Thanks. 

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #2,923 of 3,445
I'm pairing my JH Roxanne with the balanced card, but sometimes wished I had a little bit more control over the volume. The step increments are too large with the balanced card and now i'm considering on getting an IEM card instead. How does the SQ compare to the balanced card? Thanks. 

They have very similar signature with the balanced card providing better soundstage and more holographic imaging for most headphones/IEMs in balanced mode. The difference is less with the balanced card in single ended mode and if you like and want to keep the balanced card's signature then IEM card is indeed the way to go.

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #2,924 of 3,445
They have very similar signature with the balanced card providing better soundstage and more holographic imaging for most headphones/IEMs in balanced mode. The difference is less with the balanced card in single ended mode and if you like and want to keep the balanced card's signature then IEM card is indeed the way to go.

I see, thanks for the info, found it very helpful. Issue is I want to run most of my IEMs on balanced mode and i've gotten balanced cables for most of them. Is it a noticeable downgrade in terms of balanced audio on the IEM card? I tend to enjoy an airy/spacious sound signature, any other cards that are able to do this? Thanks again.

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #2,925 of 3,445
I see, thanks for the info, found it very helpful. Issue is I want to run most of my IEMs on balanced mode and i've gotten balanced cables for most of them. Is it a noticeable downgrade in terms of balanced audio on the IEM card? I tend to enjoy an airy/spacious sound signature, any other cards that are able to do this? Thanks again.

You only get balanced mode with the balanced card. With all other hifiman amp card they only offer single ended mode.

The only other balanced amp card is made by another DIYer (NOT the one who made the very nice angel/discrete card) which I think only 10 were made and I had never seen any meaningful discussion/impression. But this is also designed to drive full-size cans with ample power. They have a single ended version for IEM user. These two cards are the only ones that I don't own.

IMHO IEM card is your best bet if volume fine tune is important. The other cards all offer a more different sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back