HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Jul 8, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #2,761 of 3,445
Dear friends,

I need a bit of advice. I have HM901 with balanced amp. card paired with JH13Pro iems. Recently I tried to connect the HM901 to my old Onkyo Integra amplifier via the headphone output and listened to the music from my old Jamo Concert 11 loudspeakers. Although I do think that both the Onkyo amp. and Jamo speakers are only average "hardware", the music sounds not bad. 
I am very interested what difference it would be with some high end amplifier and some better loudspeakers. I would very appreciate any advice concerning the "right" amplifier.

I also visit from time to time the Hifiman site, but still no indication about the so long promised dock.

Many thanks in advance for any information.

BS.

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #2,762 of 3,445
Dear friends,

I need a bit of advice. I have HM901 with balanced amp. card paired with JH13Pro iems. Recently I tried to connect the HM901 to my old Onkyo Integra amplifier via the headphone output and listened to the music from my old Jamo Concert 11 loudspeakers. Although I do think that both the Onkyo amp. and Jamo speakers are only average "hardware", the music sounds not bad. 
I am very interested what difference it would be with some high end amplifier and some better loudspeakers. I would very appreciate any advice concerning the "right" amplifier.

I also visit from time to time the Hifiman site, but still no indication about the so long promised dock.

BS.
For start you should use the line-out (from the bottom on the player) instead of the headphone output, it will give you better results (better impedance match and cleaner sound). I've tried the HM901 as a source for my main system and I felt it a little weak but decent, compared with my regular source. So I think that it's a good source for a home system (definitely better than consumer grade electronics) but not optimal.

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #2,763 of 3,445
  Dear friends,

BS.

I bought HM901 as both a portable player as well as an extra stand alone player for the office and I am very impressed with the sound in both scenarios.

I find the line out to be considerably better than headphone out when using external amplifier (for speaker or desktop setup), and that the line out is very, very impressive - especially considering that it's a portable unit. If you want to use it as a DAC in a home system, then preferably use a longer S/PDIF cable than the one included.

You don't need the dock for desktop / speaker setup. It's just for convenience. If you want USB DAC function, then you need the dock or a USB-to-S/PDIF converter.

Jul 13, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #2,766 of 3,445

Here's another one you might consider - REP-1040 - Single Crystal Rodium Plated Brass:

T1E6CnFFlXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_400x400.jpg_.webp

LINK      $63.00

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #2,767 of 3,445
I would ask if the TRRS is truly nonmagnetic. They often have a center pin, the L + in the case of the 901, that is steel for strength. This would be good to know. If non magnetic, I wouldn't mind picking one up though I have been lucky in finding a few that have no ferrous metal in their construction. 

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #2,769 of 3,445
With slightly magnetic, it is often in the plating. I have found some very expensive RCA's that were slightly magnetic and it was the plating and some very cheap ones that were not. 

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #2,772 of 3,445
Here's the link to the eBay seller. I've been sitting on this for awhile as well. But so expensive... Ugh.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ranko-Acoustics-REP-1040-Rodium-Plated-3-5mmTRRS-Stereo-Plug/221496346367?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D23929%26meid%3D8360216239967279485%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D10200%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D321431167586

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #2,774 of 3,445

Same price in Japan/China:  LINK      Probably worth it though...very high end specs - oxygen free copper, Rhodium plating, etc.

I know but... The gold-plated one is 1/6 the price... Haha. 

Oh! I tried the M size JVC Spiral Dots recently. Too small for me. Ugh. How much did you pay for yours again? 29 usd? Box of 6? 

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #2,775 of 3,445
  I know but... The gold-plated one is 1/6 the price... Haha. 

Oh! I tried the M size JVC Spiral Dots recently. Too small for me. Ugh. How much did you pay for yours again? 29 usd? Box of 6? 

Yeah, I originally tried the M size too, they were a tad to small to seal good...but lee730 raved about them and I trust his judgment, so I ordered the L from Amazon Japan and shipped 'em via JapanShoppingService. The tips were $17 (3 pair) and the shipping was $11, so $28.  BUT they were worth it!!  They are truely the perfect upgrade from my previous fav's the L Ortofon's. Definately, the most comfortable tips with perfect fit on large nozzle IEM's like Tralucent's, 334's and IE80's, etc. I would go for 'em, you will like them especially if L Ortopfon's were close to perfect for you. The L Spiral's are just a wee bit larger than the L Ortofon's but the silicone is much thicker but also softer than the Orto's....
images

Users who are viewing this thread

Back