HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Nov 13, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #3,106 of 3,445
Well, actually in the manual it is - 
impedance 35 Ohms 
Efficiency 90 dB/mW
I took the specs from HiFiMan's website (my mistake, HiFiMan's website says "50+/-8 Ohms"). If the impedance it's 35 Ohms you'll notice an improvement with a more powerful card. As I said before, it's not only the volume, the "power" means how much control has the amp over the drivers, you'll notice it in an overall fuller and more detailed sound, not only louder. Actually you won't have to increase the volume to the 70% to get the level of loudness you like.

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #3,108 of 3,445
I would trust my ears if I was in your situation, Russian1, especially since you say that it sounds great and that you are not a loud player/listener. HE-560 has a fairly good sensitivity (90dB @ 1mW), and this means that you should be able to get very good sound with the IEM card.

If you feel that you want to squeeze the last bit of sound quality out of your HM-901 and HE-560, I would rather recommend getting a high end desktop amp (for home use).

Yes, I am seriously considering getting desktop amp for home use.
But I've never had any.

Will a good amp really improve sound quality of my HM-901 and HE-560?

I am thinking of Hifiman EF-5 or EF-6...

Hifiman just released a new DAC/amplifier: EF100, which was said to be designed around HE560. It's not very expensive, around $500usd. You might wanna give it a thought. I ordered mine, should be here next week :)

For portable ones, I have the SR71A which works great with Hae500/560. Thi little amp is amazing. The more I use it, the more I like it.

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #3,109 of 3,445
I would trust my ears if I was in your situation, Russian1, especially since you say that it sounds great and that you are not a loud player/listener. HE-560 has a fairly good sensitivity (90dB @ 1mW), and this means that you should be able to get very good sound with the IEM card.

If you feel that you want to squeeze the last bit of sound quality out of your HM-901 and HE-560, I would rather recommend getting a high end desktop amp (for home use).

Yes, I am seriously considering getting desktop amp for home use.
But I've never had any.

Will a good amp really improve sound quality of my HM-901 and HE-560?

I am thinking of Hifiman EF-5 or EF-6...
I have the EF-6 and is amazing in sound, maybe you'll miss a remote control or a finer volume adjustment but the sound is excellent, but also it's a huge step. I bought it thinking in the HE-6 that I haven't bought but for the HE-560 it's a huge amp. I will go first for another card, Balanced or Minibox, anyways it's cheaper and more convenient than any external amp. If you later think in a desktop set up I'll recomend decide the kind of setup (from source to headphones) before start buying so you can have a balanced equipment. But this is just a personal thought.

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #3,111 of 3,445
. Like my (future) card ?
biggrin.gif

Yup, that's the one :)  

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #3,112 of 3,445
  Hi is it a Discrete card ? 

Yes, the latest version of the Discrete Card, the best sounding card I have tried (I use only iems), but suffers from some RF noise from time to time.

I know, I know, I read everything on hifiman.com about Balanced Card. But those who have both Balanced card and IEM card say that these two cards sound exactly the same, with the only difference that Balanced Card is two times as loud as IEM card. And one of those who tested IEM card wrote in his review that IEM card is powerfull enough for big home headphones which surprised me.

PLEASE GUYS TRUST ONLY YOUR EARS. I have had both cards, and they DO NOT sound alike, especially depending on the pairing. With my Spiral Ear SE5 and NT6, the Iem card sounding thin and raspy in the mids, the balanced card was much smoother and had more authority. And the volume control was only slightly better, nothing to write home about. I sold the iem card. Opinions may vary, and that is why you should trust only yourself.

Nov 15, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #3,113 of 3,445
  Yes, the latest version of the Discrete Card, the best sounding card I have tried (I use only iems), but suffers from some RF noise from time to time.

Did you ever have the discrete card modified?

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #3,114 of 3,445
  Did you ever have the discrete card modified?

Nope, how so?

Anyways, I did some three way comparisons with Minibox, Discrete and balanced, discrete seems to have the most power followed by Minibox. In terms of SQ, discrete seems to still be the best although the Minibox should burn in a bit. The discrete is the most neutral with the most clarity in the mids, the Minibox has more raw power / body in the low end, and the balanced feels auite neutral but a bit more veiled. This was a 30 mn trial with the 335 and SE5.

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #3,115 of 3,445
  Nope, how so?

Anyways, I did some three way comparisons with Minibox, Discrete and balanced, discrete seems to have the most power followed by Minibox. In terms of SQ, discrete seems to still be the best although the Minibox should burn in a bit. The discrete is the most neutral with the most clarity in the mids, the Minibox has more raw power / body in the low end, and the balanced feels auite neutral but a bit more veiled. This was a 30 mn trial with the 335 and SE5.

Why is there no discrete card on hifiman.com? Is this card manufactured by any other company?

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #3,116 of 3,445
  Why is there no discrete card on hifiman.com? Is this card manufactured by any other company

3rd party card. Not made by HiFiman. Not available anymore or at least, really difficult to get.

Go through the thread. Kinda been said numerous times. Think member kkcc made a post describing each amp card etc quite recently. 

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #3,117 of 3,445
Anyone else's set switches off by itself once an album has finished playing? Small issue but irks me sometimes when I forget to change to another album before the last track of the current one has finished playing. Hate the startup time. 

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #3,120 of 3,445

And I couldn't tell a difference really with Digital Bypass Filter being On or Off.  I'm exactly sure what it's supposed to be doing.  Something with the Dock?  

I've been trying to read all the pages, but...
Did anyone answer this question about Digital Bypass Filter being On or Off?
What is this filter for?

The post is quite recent.10-20 pages i think? A lot of talk recently regarding the 3rd party cards. 

Yeah, someone did answer that earlier. I can't remember exactly what it is but iirc it's for use with the HM docking unit. Maybe someone else can clarify. General consensus is that it sounds better off or there's no difference. I personally just leave it off. Sorry, not much help for this one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back