HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Nov 8, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #3,076 of 3,445
  I don't know how come the guy/girl at Hifiman would have told you that. HM650 does have line out, same as the HM901. You can either use the included line out cable (dock to RCA) or get something similar to this one (which I have and use to pair my HM901 with SR71A):

https://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=171

The only function the HM650 doesn't have is the USB-DAC feature which you need to get the dock station to use anyway.

It's is very easy to change amp card. Take less than a min for me now, and most of the time is because the player power up  a bit slow (takes around half a minute).

You're right , it works very fine with my Portaphile , the sound stage is huge ! even better then with the  Minibox . How about your SR71A with the HM901 ? Can i remove the Minibox card and just use with the Portaphile ?

Nov 8, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #3,077 of 3,445

Could anyone help me, please, with my amplifier card which I bought with my HiFiMan? 

Is there any way to get to know which kind of card this is on the photo? 

I ordered IEM amp card. And the card I got works fine with my in-ear Weston-60. 
No complaint about it.
But the problem is that it is TOO loud, I mean I listen to it only about grade 3 of loud changer which is about 30-40% from the maximum. 
I never listen with the loudness even closer to 50% because my ears start to hurt. 
Which makes me doubt that this is a real IEM card. 
Or maybe my Westone-60 are too sensitive, I guess...

Does anyone have the same problem with his/her IEM amplifier card? 

Nov 8, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #3,079 of 3,445

You're right , it works very fine with my Portaphile , the sound stage is huge ! even better then with the  Minibox ... Can i remove the Minibox card and just use with the Portaphile ?

Would you do me a personal favour? 
Would you please remove the Minibox card and just use with the Portaphile? 
I'd like to know if HiFiMan-901 will work after that with the Portaphile. And how good? 
And you yourself will make sure that it is not the Minibox card being used by the player, but the Portaphile. 

You see at the moment it is difficult for me to acquire the Minibox card in addition for my IEM card. So I am thinking of buying external portable amplifier, something like the Portaphile. 
By the way, do you like your Portaphile? Would you recommend it? 

I thinks that's the real one : Official picture from Head direct

Thanks. That makes me wonder how on Earth do people use Westone-60 (or similar in ear) with other non-IEM amplifier cards. That must be loud as hell 
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 8, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #3,080 of 3,445
The Portaphile 627 is an excellent portable amplifier , to me , perhaps one of the best , i just have done an A-B comparison with the Portaphile vs Minibox card , the Portaphile have better ,  huge soundstage but  darker then the minibox , on the final in my taste the Minibox win , it have the perfect balance between sound stage details and clarity , so i decide to keep the Minibox on the HM650 , until i received the Hm901 +Standart card , then i'll swich the Minibox to the Hm901 , and the Standart card on the Hm650 . Thanks

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #3,081 of 3,445
The Portaphile 627 is an excellent portable amplifier , to me , perhaps one of the best , i just have done an A-B comparison with the Portaphile vs Minibox card , the Portaphile have better ,  huge soundstage but  darker then the minibox , on the final in my taste the Minibox win , it have the perfect balance between sound stage details and clarity , so i decide to keep the Minibox on the HM650 , until i received the Hm901 +Standart card , then i'll swich the Minibox to the Hm901 , and the Standart card on the Hm650 . Thanks

My point was that if you don't remove the internal on-board amplifier card you will never know for sure with the external amplifier (Portaphile) if HiFiman-901 bypass the Minibox and uses the Portaphile or it is your imagination playing the trick with you.
You see the HFM-901 might use only the Minibox and bypass the Portaphile. While the Minibox amp is still inside it is still a factor.

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #3,083 of 3,445

Could anyone help me, please, with my amplifier card which I bought with my HiFiMan? 

Is there any way to get to know which kind of card this is on the photo? 

I ordered IEM amp card. And the card I got works fine with my in-ear Weston-60. 
No complaint about it.
But the problem is that it is TOO loud, I mean I listen to it only about grade 3 of loud changer which is about 30-40% from the maximum. 
I never listen with the loudness even closer to 50% because my ears start to hurt. 
Which makes me doubt that this is a real IEM card. 
Or maybe my Westone-60 are too sensitive, I guess...

Does anyone have the same problem with his/her IEM amplifier card? 
You're fine. With modern loud recordings I usually listen at 2 - 2.5 volume with IEM card and SE846. With recordings with high dynamic range I can go around 3.5 to 4. Also the lower volume you use the better for your hearing.

Nov 9, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #3,084 of 3,445
You're fine. With modern loud recordings I usually listen at 2 - 2.5 volume with IEM card and SE846. With recordings with high dynamic range I can go around 3.5 to 4. Also the lower volume you use the better for your hearing.

Of course make sure you in Low Gain

Nov 9, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #3,088 of 3,445
  Right now  i'm scared to do such things , need more advise from expert user . Thanks

Watch this youtube video from 3:50 min. 

The guy removes the amplifier card and then gets it back.
I did the same way. It is very easy, no risk involved. 
Even an eight old little girl could do it. 

And afterwards, please, tell me how HiFiMan-901 sounds without the onboard amp with your Porthaphile only. 
Thank you

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #3,089 of 3,445
  Watch this youtube video from 3:50 min. 

The guy removes the amplifier card and then gets it back.
I did the same way. It is very easy, no risk involved. 
Even an eight old little girl could do it. 

And afterwards, please, tell me how HiFiMan-901 sounds without the onboard amp with your Porthaphile only. 
Thank you

OK , i have completely remove the Minibox amp card and pair with my Portaphile 627 Micro : the sound is outstanding , huge sound stage , lots of details , beautiful mids and highs , it seems that i reech Nirvana with this combination (test with a Beyerdynamic T5P Ultrasone Performance 880) I thinks your problem wiill be solve with an external potable amp like my Portaphile ( see the test with Headfonia ) you can fine tuning the volume much more precise and easy then on the HM901 . Thanks

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #3,090 of 3,445

OK , i have completely remove the Minibox amp card and pair with my Portaphile 627 Micro : the sound is outstanding , huge sound stage , lots of details , beautiful mids and highs , it seems that i reech Nirvana with this combination (test with a Beyerdynamic T5P Ultrasone Performance 880) I thinks your problem wiill be solve with an external potable amp like my Portaphile ( see the test with Headfonia ) you can fine tuning the volume much more precise and easy then on the HM901 . Thanks

I am glad if I helped you. 
And you certainly helped me. Thank you! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back