HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Mar 4, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #2,221 of 3,445
Extracted from my PM reply to another 901 owner earlier: Just very brief subjective thoughts.  I'm actually spending more time critically listening to the 901 comparing the amp boards than comparing with the AK240.

I think the jump may come from, and realizing that it isn't a DAP, is the Hugo. Now that will present a challenge and I hope to have one soon. It appears the 901 is holding up well. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #2,222 of 3,445
  I think the jump may come from, and realizing that it isn't a DAP, is the Hugo. Now that will present a challenge and I hope to have one soon. It appears the 901 is holding up well. 

Hugo is a notch better than 901 but it is transportable. sound stage depth/width, rich and musical presentation and desktop level performance.
I tested using 901 line out comparing to Hugo line out to drive HD800 using desktop amp. The way Hugo handles anna netrebko's voice with much better texture when hitting the high note. Hugo amp also drives HD800 better than HM901 balance card but it will not drive HE-6 as it will result clipping.

I think Hifiman must stay competitive and release DSD native support in higher end model. Otherwise, audiophiles will cave in and look for other brands

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #2,223 of 3,445

Even Hugo as a DAC/AMP I would really hesitate to say it is leaps and bounds better than HM901.  I'm sure it will scale better with proper amp but standalone I consider the SQ improvement over 901 (if any) way too little to compensate for it's size.

I really see it as a miniature transportable desktop component more in the line of ALO PanAM than competing directly in the on-to-go use portable/pocketable segment.

I'm actually amazed by the amount of dedicated enthusiasts who are willing to or consider to use it on-the-go.  Same for ASP's TU05.  I guess I'm just not hardcore enough and HM901 is the max compromise in size and clumsiness I can accept. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #2,224 of 3,445

Even Hugo as a DAC/AMP I would really hesitate to say it is leaps and bounds better than HM901.  I'm sure it will scale better with proper amp but standalone I consider the SQ improvement over 901 (if any) way too little to compensate for it's size.

I really see it as a miniature transportable desktop component more in the line of ALO PanAM than competing directly in the on-to-go use portable/pocketable segment.

I'm actually amazed by the amount of dedicated enthusiasts who are willing to or consider to use it on-the-go.  Same for ASP's TU05.  I guess I'm just not hardcore enough and HM901 is the max compromise in size and clumsiness I can accept. 

Yes, it isn't the small size of say the DX50 or a X3. And HiFiman will most likely come out with more cards that will offer even different sounds from what he 901 has now. And if they come out with a 902, I would imagine those cards will work on the 901 or 902 or whatever the next dac from Hifiman would be. 

I used to carry around a portable CD player with one of Xin's amps and a place for 10 CD's. With that I would hike and bike and do many other things. So size, regarding the Hugo is not big shock but I would admit that an all in as in the 901 with many options regarding the cards, has benefits and you are still enjoying the top of the musical chain in portable audio. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #2,225 of 3,445
I tried the HM901 earlier today , just a quick listen , mostly feeling up the UI , having seen the chord hugo as well . I would rather carry this rather than the hugo , at the very least this is all in one listening solution , even thought the battery seems to suck alot , the UI not that great and the unit actually get rather warm. I think I will have a longer try later on

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #2,226 of 3,445
  I tried the HM901 earlier today , just a quick listen , mostly feeling up the UI , having seen the chord hugo as well . I would rather carry this rather than the hugo , at the very least this is all in one listening solution , even thought the battery seems to suck alot , the UI not that great and the unit actually get rather warm. I think I will have a longer try later on

Retrias, you should also try the HM 901 with the different amp cards that are available. That is probably the strongest attraction of the HM 901 (and its sibling the HM 802) other than the fact that the HM 901 is very clear and transparent. 

As has been noted elsewhere in this thread, the battery life of the HM 901 also depends on the amp card you are using.

Good luck with demoing with the HM 901. You may also want to give the HM 802 a try: not as astonishingly transparent as the HM 901, but very good in its own right. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #2,227 of 3,445

Retrias, you should also try the HM 901 with the different amp cards that are available. That is probably the strongest attraction of the HM 901 (and its sibling the HM 802) other than the fact that the HM 901 is very clear and transparent. 

As has been noted elsewhere in this thread, the battery life of the HM 901 also depends on the amp card you are using.

Good luck with demoing with the HM 901. You may also want to give the HM 802 a try: not as astonishingly transparent as the HM 901, but very good in its own right. 
smily_headphones1.gif

i think i will like the hm 802 better, i didnt really like the sound of the hm901 and probably would prefer the wolfson based hm802

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #2,228 of 3,445
  i think i will like the hm 802 better, i didnt really like the sound of the hm901 and probably would prefer the wolfson based hm802

I see. Well, I have both. And I will say that the HM 802 has its charms - it has a relaxed and musical signature. Awry tried my 802 and he is quite taken by it. 
dt880smile.png

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #2,230 of 3,445
Yes but the Hugo does not offer the all in one that the 901 does. I will be curious how the 901 sounds with future cards. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #2,232 of 3,445
LoL you will most likely sell HM901 then.. and use ZX-1 and Tera on the move.... :D

Lol George I'm still waiting for you to find a reference portable setup with Hugo that fit our local city lifestyle. Until then I will stick with the 901 for the best sound. :D

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #2,234 of 3,445
Lol George I'm still waiting for you to find a reference portable setup with Hugo that fit our local city lifestyle. Until then I will stick with the 901 for the best sound. :D

Kkcc i agree.
I would never sell my hm-901. its my reference DAP until Hifiman releases a higher end model. They have been releasing lower end models that I dont feel the need to own

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #2,235 of 3,445
Kkcc i agree.
I would never sell my hm-901. its my reference DAP until Hifiman releases a higher end model. They have been releasing lower end models that I dont feel the need to own

Hear hear! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back