HiFiMAN HM-801 Portable Player / DAC Review: Part One of Two
Jun 4, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #286 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by prone2phone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont understand why noone can make just some software tweek for mp3 players to work as a usb line out

Probably due to the fact that the different players don't assign the same sets of functions that their USB sections will control.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #287 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pocket LOL; I dont think you've seen my rig; well at least my topflight rig. besides, its easy to skip tracks blind, but how about navigating to playlists etc or touchscreens LOL.

as for the hifiman; as always, i'm still very interested in the product; dont get me wrong on that. though for me the OPA627 is overrated and overpriced.b so i'd be interested in other amp modules.

I think its great that Fang is doing this; as the community has been asking for something like this for a while now. to me the best thing about this idea is the fact that it can be upgraded. if a new amp module is developed, you can buy it and slot it in; if you use IEMs and prefer less power and a lower noise floor; that can be accommodated with a different amp module too. the problem of trying to produce an all in one unit that is 'the best' of everything, is of course the fact that everyone has their own ideas of what that is.

Oh on my old cowon U2 I used to be able to find everything by memory, backlight time, EQ, play speed (Mainly that one, I love screwing with the play speed on my songs. Stupid U5 and i7 don't have the same setting as the U2 did though....), track order, heck I even had my music folders memorized.

Still awaiting jude's review just to confirm that last paragraph, all it needs is a good execution. Although I think he forgot about this entire thread.

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #288 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podtweaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but I don't really get why this is'nt just a player w/ a high quality line out section. Does anyone expect a high end CD or SACD player to have amplification beyond a line level signal. No, that's not a high quality player's job, unnecessary circuitry as far as I'm concerned.

I think you've missed the point - a high end CD/SACD player at home can be connected to large, high end amplifiers since you don't have to lug the thing around.

That's a problem with using an iMod/iHP-140 etc - you see these huge "portable" rigs with 2 or 3 devices with large interconnects held together with a band to make up for the poor headphone outputs of the player itself and trying to squeeze the best sound possible out of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems the aim of this player is to get rid of the need for separate devices by having a player that sounds very good/amazing while being sensible in it's dimensions and having the upgradability there with it's changable amp module.

And even then, it has a very good line out anyway from all of the reports, what's the problem? It IS the no frills high quality player you want.

I wont be getting one - I can't afford it, don't have the headphones to match or the music to take advantage of it but I would like to see it do well. Good luck to them!

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #289 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostPhil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you've missed the point - a high end CD/SACD player at home can be connected to large, high end amplifiers since you don't have to lug the thing around.

That's a problem with using an iMod/iHP-140 etc - you see these huge "portable" rigs with 2 or 3 devices with large interconnects held together with a band to make up for the poor headphone outputs of the player itself and trying to squeeze the best sound possible out of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems the aim of this player is to get rid of the need for separate devices by having a player that sounds very good/amazing while being sensible in it's dimensions and having the upgradability there with it's changable amp module.

And even then, it has a very good line out anyway from all of the reports, what's the problem? It IS the no frills high quality player you want, I don't see the problem...

Agreed, there most definitely should be a market for a compact player that doesn't need external amps/dacs. I see more and more people walking around with higher-end headphones on, so it seems the market is growing. As soon as they come out with V.2 that can make use of 64GB to 2TB SDXC cards, I'm totally getting one.

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #290 of 625
Actually I was referring to all the stock DAPs out there, as this player does indeed appear to be a true effort at state of the art portable playback. It appears to me that more people have issues w/ what they consider "portable". When people cry about having to "lug" around 2 or so devices along w/ the "large" interconnects I have to shake my head. I guess a lot of people's perspective as to what constitutes cumbersum is different then mine. Home amps really don't have to be large & powerful(although it does'nt hurt) just high quality. I suppose I just don't care for the "universal" player approach to anything. I, also, hope this product does well. The lack of a superior onboard DAC is what makes the other players flawed.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #291 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ qusp,
I am going to send some members over to you to learn the art of "multi-quoting
multiquote_off.gif
cool.gif

darthsmile.gif
i'm not sure how much those with smaller screens like my multi-quoting though, better then seeing my sig over and over again though....

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebski
No, not in the slightest. A direct informed response is to be respected and appreciated.

I don’t see you are not agreeing with my ideas, more like undermining them by inference.

exactly my point, the difference between those two things is mostly in your perspective or reaction /feeling to them. if you are feeling undermined I apologize; what am I undermining by the way?? your wish for a direct line to fang and his production line??

Quote:

That is your choice. Apple might consider it not to be necessary for normal usage.

errrm... exactly what does that have to do with anything?? the back cover is more than a little scratch prone as well and I use my iphone with an amp sometimes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prone2phone
i dont understand why noone can make just some software tweek for mp3 players to work as a usb line out

well there is more to this as well; most USB dacs are powered over the USB line, exactly how long do you think the battery on a dap would last if it was also powering an outboard dac?? it would seem on the surface to be an easy thing, but there are other factors that must be taken into account. you would think that it would be easy enough to wrote a piece of software in ipod linux to enable a jailbroken iphone or touch to send i2S over usb; but it is not that simple; even if the right calls could be made, the dac would have to be under its own power and also need to know the encoding that apple places on its i2s.

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #292 of 625
Quote:

what am I undermining by the way?? your wish for a direct line to fang and his production line??

Stop being stupid. I have never initiated any feature requests. On the contrary I have expressed contentment with whatever features Nankai chooses.

What I did was to respond to the invitation to do so by this post
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good points everyone.

Something that may help with the "size thing" would be a full-display remote control about the size of a Sansa Clip. This way, the player could be controlled (music selection, volume change, etc.) while it is safely tucked away inside a hip pack/backpack/messenger bag.

Also, a custom leather case, with contol cutouts, would be a nice touch at this price.

Thoughts?

Or haven’t you bothered to read this thread?

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #293 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well there is more to this as well; most USB dacs are powered over the USB line, exactly how long do you think the battery on a dap would last if it was also powering an outboard dac?? it would seem on the surface to be an easy thing, but there are other factors that must be taken into account. you would think that it would be easy enough to wrote a piece of software in ipod linux to enable a jailbroken iphone or touch to send i2S over usb; but it is not that simple; even if the right calls could be made, the dac would have to be under its own power and also need to know the encoding that apple places on its i2s.

I read a post on the Rockbox forums asking if this was possible. It depends entirely on the hardware - USB host seems to be a must.

Stream audio to USB port and use external USB DAC

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #295 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by rebski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stop being stupid. I have never initiated any feature requests. On the contrary I have expressed contentment with whatever features Nankai chooses.

What I did was to respond to the invitation to do so by this post

Or haven’t you bothered to read this thread?

LOL; get over yourself mate, denial is a river in egypt. you are spraying attitude all over the place. I will admit to being a bit provocative, you however seem to be missing something.

and now you have started on someone else who would like a case. have fun
confused.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #297 of 625
Ah, I remember now I did hear the hifiman at canjam, plus the prototype orthodynamics (which were very promising) - yeah, it's very nice indeed, and it's only now I realise I could really be into this to replace the damned ipod when driving my car! I wasn't that taken by the Pico though I didn't A/B or anything.

FLAC support is compelling. I could care less about ALAC.

On the subject of extra features, yes, some kind of dongle for menu control and whatnot would be awesome, truly killer, for driving.

Dunno if anyone's answered this but...any playlist support?

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #298 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, I remember now I did hear the hifiman at canjam, plus the prototype orthodynamics (which were very promising) - yeah, it's very nice indeed, and it's only now I realise I could really be into this to replace the damned ipod when driving my car! I wasn't that taken by the Pico though I didn't A/B or anything.

FLAC support is compelling. I could care less about ALAC.

On the subject of extra features, yes, some kind of dongle for menu control and whatnot would be awesome, truly killer, for driving.

Dunno if anyone's answered this but...any playlist support?

The playlist support is relatively primitive. Cannot create my own playlist at the moment--this was answered about a month ago and it may has been changed.

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #299 of 625
Quote:

I will admit to being a bit provocative

qusp, now you are being dishonest. Your contrived and deceitful jibe was designed with malicious intent. In short, a lie.

I rightly called you on it and, rather than addressing it squarely and apologising, you choose instead to be evasive and slippery.

Sorry, but that is just contemptible and cowardly.

I have said all that I need to and am through with this now.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #300 of 625
Any update from Jude?

Or any news from Nankai for the development of the HiFiMan 801?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back