HiFiMAN HM-801 Player Firmware Debug Thread
Nov 14, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #421 of 480
I got the portable charger but just don't know how long i will be out of reach of a plug.  I think i have about a 10 hr one stop flight.  I don't travel much on planes or internationally barely at all so just trying to figure it all out.  At least the plugs are the same as US plugs-110.

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #422 of 480
I seem to remember people using their HM-801 as a DAC with their laptop and taking the battery out... so it must be able to draw enough from a USB port to power itself without a battery.

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #423 of 480

Quote:
You can always plug it in while it's in DAC mode. The slim charger is universal (100-240V), so as long as you have an adapter for the prongs, you can plug it in anywhere.

I don't think I've ever used the battery for any serious listening other than making sure it works!

Unfortunately the USB DAC support is very basic and noticeably worse than the coaxial in.

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #424 of 480
You can use the HM-801 as a DAC without the battery inside, if it's plugged into a power source.  I find that the battery drains pretty quickly, or at least does not charge quickly, if I'm using it in DAC mode while it's plugged into the charger.

Fang, are you still working on a new firmware update?  At the very least, we would like gapless playback.  I would also add the ability to delete tracks, perhaps by hitting the top right button twice while a song is playing, which would bring up a prompt confirming that we want to delete the track.

I just started using Rockbox for my iPod 5.5g, and it is amazing.  It has every feature you could possibly want, and adds more playable formats.  Please consider releasing the source code so that the very skilled Rockbox coding community can create a version for the HM-801, since you and your engineer don't seem to have the time to do it.

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #426 of 480
Really?  I don't remember seeing that, where did you learn that from?

I know nothing about the inner workings of the HM-801, but I thought in general that the right firmware can fix some of the limitations of hardware?

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #427 of 480

Quote:
You can use the HM-801 as a DAC without the battery inside, if it's plugged into a power source.  I find that the battery drains pretty quickly, or at least does not charge quickly, if I'm using it in DAC mode while it's plugged into the charger.

Fang, are you still working on a new firmware update?  At the very least, we would like gapless playback.  I would also add the ability to delete tracks, perhaps by hitting the top right button twice while a song is playing, which would bring up a prompt confirming that we want to delete the track.

I just started using Rockbox for my iPod 5.5g, and it is amazing.  It has every feature you could possibly want, and adds more playable formats.  Please consider releasing the source code so that the very skilled Rockbox coding community can create a version for the HM-801, since you and your engineer don't seem to have the time to do it.

This is really the right answer regarding Rockbox.

I am told that the hardware has limitations that will not allow real gapless playback (probably can't load the next track on the fly).

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #429 of 480

Quote:
Mine displayed 24bit files as 16bit as well, but they should be really 24bits, as they can't be played on my sansa clip+.

Perhaps it is about time for firmware 0.20 to appear soon?

Cheers,
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently playing a 44,1/24 flac but the Hifiman display shows "16Bit" only.

Is this a firmware bug ? Is it only showing the wrong value or also playing only 16 bit?
I assume that the file information in Foobar2000 is correct ... how can I check the file is really 24 bit ?

I did some testing on my HM-801 ...

I have a lot of 24 bit Flacs which get displayed as 16 bit, but the majority of my 24 bit Flacs is displayed correctly as 24 bit.

Searching for differences between the ones showing up correctly and the others I found that Flacs with a file size of more than around 500 Kb are the ones showing up as 16 bit (Maybe 512 Kb is the border ?)

Seems like a bug of sorts ...

As a workaround I try to combine just as many flacs to not get above 500 Kb in file size.

Nobody will believe me regarding the next statement, whatsoever:

First I ignored the fact that the 24 bit Flac showed up incorrectly as 16 bit because I thought it's just displaying the wrong value.
Than I listend to this 24 bit Vivaldi Four seasons recording which has other Vivaldi stuff before and after the Four seasons part.
The Four seasons part is the one showing up as16 bit.

So after the Four seasons part finished and when the next part started there was a very recognizable change in sound to the better.

Edit: 24/44.1 and 24/48 always show up as 16 bit regardless filesize.
Edit 2: Some 24/44.1 show up as 24 bit independent of filesize ... and I didn't find a relation as to why that is, yet.
Edit 3: Unfortunately it's not as easy as I thought ... found a 24/96 recording which shows up as 24 bit though it has a size of over 1GB ...
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #431 of 480
I seem to have come across yet another bug: The cue sheet playback seems to be broken. The Hifiman does recognize the cue sheet, but whenever I jump to different tracks within the Album, it will not jump to the right beginnings of a song. I've checked the cue sheets on my computer. They seem to be ok. In fact I double checked the time indexes in the cue sheets on my computer and they work out just fine.
Odd thing is it will show the correct time index on the Hifiman although being a few seconds to early.

Does anyone have the same problem or does anyone actually have cue sheets running smoothly?

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #434 of 480

Quote:
Hai, Anyone can help me regarding the firmware upgrades for hm801?

Mine is 0.15 / 2010-03-11 after trying searching for the upgrade i can't find it where can i get the file.

thanks!

down.head-direct.com/HM-801-0.19beta.rar

download the rar file.
decompress to hm-801.img file
delet all files in on board flash
copy hm-801.img to on board flash
reboot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back