HiFiMAN HM-801 Player Firmware Debug Thread
Mar 13, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #151 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by ade_hall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you hold down the centre button it cycles through the alphabet, let go when you get to the letter you want

Ah thanks for the tip!

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #152 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its the same with all of the 24/96 flac files that im using, here is a few from the HDtracks site.

Rebecca Pidgeon - Retrospective

Ottmar liebert - Up close

Various artists - The worlds greatest audiophile vocal recordings

Head-fi - Open your ears

The first track i play will start off fine but if you decide to move to the next track or the one after that the music will start to play, but the play timer at the bottom of the screen will stay at 0:00:00. After a few seconds you can hear very brief pauses in the sound almost like clicking noises as soon as this happens the player is then totally unresponsive to any button press and has to be reset.

If i load any of them onto the internal flash memory they play fine, so i don't think its anything to do with the latest firmware or the player itself.

Are class 4 cards fast enough to play 24/96 files?

I am using Kingston class 4 and it plays the HD Tracks "Up Close" 24/96 files okay for me (with 0.14 firmware)

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #153 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah thanks for the tip!

Yes, thank you ade_hall for the tip: much faster going through Allegri to Zamfir (yeah, I like Zamfir
redface.gif
).

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #154 of 480
Quote:

Its the same with all of the 24/96 flac files that im using, here is a few from the HDtracks site.

Rebecca Pidgeon - Retrospective

Ottmar liebert - Up close

Various artists - The worlds greatest audiophile vocal recordings

Head-fi - Open your ears

The first track i play will start off fine but if you decide to move to the next track or the one after that the music will start to play, but the play timer at the bottom of the screen will stay at 0:00:00. After a few seconds you can hear very brief pauses in the sound almost like clicking noises as soon as this happens the player is then totally unresponsive to any button press and has to be reset.

If i load any of them onto the internal flash memory they play fine, so i don't think its anything to do with the latest firmware or the player itself.

Are class 4 cards fast enough to play 24/96 files?

I'm using a class4 32G SDHC and the Head-fi - Open your ears plays flawlessly on my machine.

Mar 14, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #155 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyAL73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using Kingston class 4 and it plays the HD Tracks "Up Close" 24/96 files okay for me (with 0.14 firmware)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using a class4 32G SDHC and the Head-fi - Open your ears plays flawlessly on my machine.

Thanks guys for letting me know!!

Ive been at this for a few hours this morning and now most albums are playing fine, even thought i havent really done anything differently
confused.gif

The only ones im still having trouble playing is tracks 1,6,7,8,13 on Retrospective and tracks 1,4,12 on The worlds greatest audiophile vocal recordings album.

As before all of these tracks will play perfectly from the internal flash drive, so ive put them on it for now till i find a solution.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #156 of 480
Quote:

Thanks guys for letting me know!!

Ive been at this for a few hours this morning and now most albums are playing fine, even thought i havent really done anything differently
confused.gif

The only ones im still having trouble playing is tracks 1,6,7,8,13 on Retrospective and tracks 1,4,12 on The worlds greatest audiophile vocal recordings album.

As before all of these tracks will play perfectly from the internal flash drive, so ive put them on it for now till i find a solution.

Have you tried deleting some files like I did?
After reducing the disk usage from 28G to 21G, I can read the 24/96 files.

Mar 14, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #157 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by nlhk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried deleting some files like I did?
After reducing the disk usage from 28G to 21G, I can read the 24/96 files.

yeah i tried with only about 5GB of files on a 16GB card and its still the same. I'm not too bothered over it as 24/96 material is only about 5% of my total library, so i have plenty of other tracks to keep me occupied
k701smile.gif

Hopefully future firmware updates will solve it.

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #158 of 480
Quote:

yeah i tried with only about 5GB of files on a 16GB card and its still the same. I'm not too bothered over it as 24/96 material is only about 5% of my total library, so i have plenty of other tracks to keep me occupied
k701smile.gif

Hopefully future firmware updates will solve it.

Might be a dumb question, but did you format the card when you got it? or was it preformatted? I have experienced something similar with a OCZ card that was formatted incorrectly from the beginning. Might be worth it to try and reformat the card.

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #159 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might be a dumb question, but did you format the card when you got it? or was it preformatted? I have experienced something similar with a OCZ card that was formatted incorrectly from the beginning. Might be worth it to try and reformat the card.

They were preformatted when i got them, but im always open to suggestions and just reformatted them again tonight.

Even with only one album (Rebecca Pidgeon) on the entire 16GB card the tracks listed above still cause problems.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #160 of 480
v 0.14

I can now go into Artists and Albums but it updates the list every time you switch on, should be once only or if changed.

Unfortunately, autoplay on power on is now not working, this makes 0.14 unusable for me, have switched to v 0.12 instead

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #161 of 480
Seems each version has its flaws. For me, v 0.12 would update each time the unit is powered on--right when "HifiMan" shows up; in addition, there is "No File" in both album and artist categories. Those issues are very annoying. I can live with the artist and album updating each time the unit is on with v. 014.

Also, both versions will not allow me to play 24 bit files, without first playing a 16 bit--absolute madness, this. If I try to play a 24 bit file at the get-go, the unit will freeze and I have to reset; everything is fine after that, however. Needless to mention which 24 bit songs I used, as the issue becomes inconsequential (I've tested divers files); furthermore, it does not matter whether the SD card is class 4 or 6 (tried both types with both Kingston and adata). In fact, never mind class 6--it is completely useless in all the versions I have tried viz. 0.10, 0.12 and 0.14. All the same, I am not vexed over 24 bit playability.

I understand there are variables (e.g., different SD cards), but if I were to surmise, I'd say that some units will play and act differently from others even thought the firmware is the same
confused.gif
. I do not know what the beans is going on.

There is no doubt that the unit is sufficient for a pleasant--portable--audio enjoyment, but it is necessary that changelogs and answers are provided. And, yes, I have no doubt that Fang is on the move. I am sure those changelogs will be available when they become available. By the by, I still prefer the Hifiman over all my other DAPs. After all, sound quality should be the sine qua non of any good audio device--and the Hifiman is truly beyond just good.

EDIT: No sooner had I posted the above, and while listening to my music, there was an earthquake in Los Angeles (4.5 apparently). Goes to show, just enjoy your music. Life is short.

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #162 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by ade_hall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
v 0.14

I can now go into Artists and Albums but it updates the list every time you switch on, should be once only or if changed.

Unfortunately, autoplay on power on is now not working, this makes 0.14 unusable for me, have switched to v 0.12 instead

For me it just updated once. My internal flash storage is empty, maybe thats a factor?

Autoplay NOT being on at power up is actually my preferred startup. I don't see how this makes it 'unusable' though... it would be nice if there was an option under settings to choose whether autoplay would be on or off

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #163 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Autoplay NOT being on at power up is actually my preferred startup. I don't see how this makes it 'unusable' though... it would be nice if there was an option under settings to choose whether autoplay would be on or off

I should have made this a little clearer - on power up it's going to the main menu and not remembering the last track played. Is this the same for anyone else?

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #164 of 480
Not remembering to play the last track is annoying. But if you're playing a 24/96 like what I did, the problem of freeze is much more troublesome because it always freeze! Even removing the battery cannot solve the problem.

I prefer Autoplay NOT being on at power up as well.

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #165 of 480
Do what an ipod does ...

We need that kind of functionality from 801 - of course the user interface is more premitive and will be different. But in essence 801 sooner or later need to be more mature like that.

- Remember the "location" of the last song etc.
- Update it once and for all when connected to the computer or when the SD is changed / re-inserted.
- Playlists please
- Ability to manage compilations
- Add "Shuffle Songs" on the main menu - sometime all you want is listen to music - any music on your player
- etc.

It needs a few bug fixes and a couple of feature adds.

Good Luck ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back