HiFiMan High-End Series Owners' Club (Enter with the Google Docs form!)
Mar 12, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #496 of 673

Assuming you're in the US, go to redco.com.  They've got the best deal on the Mogami, and you can get the 1/4" connector there.  I got a Neutrik NP3X.  I'm assuming you've got the spare HiFiMAN SMC connectors, but if not you can get them from Head-Direct, or Double Helix Cables sells a different design that's supposedly easier to work with.  I made two cables using HFM connectors and had no problems.

Guessing on the prices, but close to...
  1. Mogami @ $0.64/foot
  2. Neutrik $4 and change
  3. SMC connectors $12ish
  4. Paracord Planet paracord from Amazon was $5 for 25 feet, free shipping; $4 for 10 feet, so worth getting extra
  5. Heat shrink... already had it  :wink:
  6. A ballpoint pen hacked to produce a cylinder that will conceal the Y split; Papermate Eagle worked nicely

As for the time it will take, that depends on your skill level (again, mine was pure noob) and how neat you want to be.  I produced a ridiculously detailed guide for another Head-Fier.  PM me if you want the link.  It's written for us noobs.  Took me a few hours, with smoke breaks, etc. 
wink.gif
  I've got a quite expensive aftermarket cable and I can't tell the difference between it and mine.  And my cable is.... well, mine 
darthsmile.gif
  Pride of work and all that.

It was a good excuse to buy a few other things, like a soldering station (nice one for $55 from Amazon; $150 retail, or so it said), wire strippers, a few other bits a pieces.  Made a nice white cable with black connectors for my white Q701s 
k701smile.gif
  All three are wonderfully light, though I do need to redo the first one to get rid of the sheath and copper shield from the Mogami.  Too stiff compared to the other two.

HTH.

D: :D See what I did there? ;D

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #497 of 673
I'll consider it. I don't have any tools though Dx

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #499 of 673
How much?

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #502 of 673
jaganeee, If that is a Vali, according to Schiit's website...
 Vali's ultimate power output is lower, so it's less suitable to orthodynamics and other hard-to-drive headphones.

just fyi...

Quote:
  my new setup

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #503 of 673
Well... maybe it would be ok. From their website.

Ok, change the subject. Can this thing drive orthos? Depends on your listening preference, and which orthos. With half the power of Magni, it’s not going to drive low-sensitivity orthos to ear-bleeding levels. However, it does well with the HiFiMan HE-400, the Mad Dogs and Alpha Dogs, and even the LCD-X, XC, and 2, and HE-500.

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #504 of 673
I've added my HE-300 to the list :)

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #505 of 673
  Well... maybe it would be ok. From their website.

Ok, change the subject. Can this thing drive orthos? Depends on your listening preference, and which orthos. With half the power of Magni, it’s not going to drive low-sensitivity orthos to ear-bleeding levels. However, it does well with the HiFiMan HE-400, the Mad Dogs and Alpha Dogs, and even the LCD-X, XC, and 2, and HE-500.

What ever website has to say, if your ears says it is good, then it is good 
beerchug.gif

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #506 of 673
Vali delivers only about 600 mW into 32 ohms, would not recommend it with the 500. If you can still exchange it, consider doing so and go for 1W. Just imo, the vali will get sound out of them but is not optimal.

Mar 13, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #507 of 673
Vali delivers only about 600 mW into 32 ohms, would not recommend it with the 500. If you can still exchange it, consider doing so and go for 1W. Just imo, the vali will get sound out of them but is not optimal.

+1 Yep..get the lyr...am not a shiit man myself..but the lyr is affordable and for a budget amp it delivers enough quality to get the he500 going:wink:

Mar 13, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #508 of 673
My god, just get the emotiva with resistors at that price and spent the remainder on a DAC, Jergpads, etc.
Or try the Bottlehead S.E.X.

Mar 13, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #509 of 673
What ever website has to say, if your ears says it is good, then it is good :beerchug:

Thats not completely true..ofcourse if u have a 100usd amp and buy a he500 u will think its da bomb..as u dont have any better reference to compare how good a he500 can sound...any amp will sound good then! If u dont hear other amps..but if u do u will kick urself in not getting the right amp when u could..

as whenever u upgrade u will find out that ur headphone is actually better then.u heard until now (and ur wallet will bleed again )..so it would be waste of money and time to first get an amp that just barely drives the he500 instead investing a bit more and get an amp that drives the he500 well...

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #510 of 673
I am having hd650 and used the same setup to feed it. After getting he 500 i am so much happy with the same setup to drive he 500. I haven't tried other setup. For the same setup he 500 shines well and my hd650 gone to the box. Moreover i am a low level listener. He 500 excels in low level listening also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back