HiFiMan High-End Series Owners' Club (Enter with the Google Docs form!)
Feb 17, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #316 of 673
Yeah I really love the look. They are off-brand Beyer pads from eBay. I wish my photography skills could do them justice

For a second I actually thought they were from HiFiMAN. They just fit too well! I've been considering some pleather pads for the HE-300 and those might be it. How much were they?

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #318 of 673
I would recommend grabbing the real Beyerdynamic leatherette pads, the off-brand ones feel nice but the lip that holds it on the cups is kinda crappy on the off-brand ones.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #319 of 673
If you like velours, I highly recommend the AKG Q701 pads.  If you're in the US, they're fairly cheap direct from AKG, and the mod is pretty easy to do.  I use them on my HE-500s.  So much roomier than the stock pads, and better quality foam and velour.  I also like the angle.  Not sure if all the HFMs use the same mounting ring system, but if so, they'll work fine.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #320 of 673
What is there to be gained by physically modding the headphones over just using the EQ. . EQ is so much faster and much more able to make chAnges in amounts incremental . So why not. Help me understand .

Al

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #321 of 673
  If you like velours, I highly recommend the AKG Q701 pads.  If you're in the US, they're fairly cheap direct from AKG, and the mod is pretty easy to do.  I use them on my HE-500s.  So much roomier than the stock pads, and better quality foam and velour.  I also like the angle.  Not sure if all the HFMs use the same mounting ring system, but if so, they'll work fine.

Everywhere I go. Every. Thread. Every single corner....

STAHP! I'm sure everyone's heard of it by now. No more.

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #322 of 673
What is there to be gained by physically modding the headphones over just using the EQ. . EQ is so much faster and much more able to make chAnges in amounts incremental . So why not. Help me understand .

Al

A big point in modding headphones is major changes. EQ is not nearly as effective (at least in my opionion) as having your gear sound exactly how you want it. As for pads, they don't just change sound but also the look, comfort and isolation.

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #324 of 673
Everywhere I go. Every. Thread. Every single corner....

STAHP! I'm sure everyone's heard of it by now. No more.

LMAO.  You actually like bait, don't you fishy fishy fishy fish.  Admit it.  Tasty, ain't it.  Beats dim sum 
tongue.gif

Oh there's plenty more where that came from.  And frankly, why not offer the alternative.  Go jump down a Beyer-lover's throat, why don'tcha.

*Dangles more bait*

Fishing takes patience.  Your HE-500s will be wearing AKG pads and red grills
darthsmile.gif
  Count on it 
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #325 of 673
I honestly think imma go grill-less for now. I don't see much danger and it seems the best option anyways for best SQ. As for pads, I already have jergpads with foam wedge inserts specially made for me by Ryan, so hah.

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #326 of 673
I'd get jergpads if they had a leather option.

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #327 of 673
I honestly think imma go grill-less for now. I don't see much danger and it seems the best option anyways for best SQ. As for pads, I already have jergpads with foam wedge inserts specially made for me by Ryan, so hah.

Well, ain't you special 
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #328 of 673
Very special. He sprinkled some of his own magic on it too. Makes them smell and sound 100x better. Hahah anyways, phillyd, you can just do all the steps without the velour top.

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #329 of 673
Very special. He sprinkled some of his own magic on it too. Makes them smell and sound 100x better. Hahah anyways, phillyd, you can just do all the steps without the velour top.

Now I think you're just jonesin' for yr girl MJ.

Yeah, the jergulor pads aren't that hard to make, though I wouldn't dare put my skills to the test against Ryan's.  I've seen the pix.  Mine suffice, but are relegated to a plastic bag since... well, you know what caused that demotion, don'tcha, Nimzerz.  Let's say it together:

AKG Q701 PADS!!!

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #330 of 673
Having two left hands + physically trying to modify expensive electronic items that -I hope- haven't been designed by fools are imo an unholy combo so I refrain from physical mods.  More power to those who do 'em but there's a lot more potential for screwing things up than by eq'ing the sound via software where the reset button is only a click away.  I'm not even mentioning warrant issues and resale value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back