HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Jan 21, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #2,611 of 2,647
same upgrade here. I already had a Jotunheim 2 before getting the HE6SEV2, which sounds great but I know something more powerful is ideal. FA-10 was one I was looking at, as well as the Burson Solist 3XP. but lately I've been preoccupied with my Verite Open and tubes when not using iems
ZMF headphones are also my favorite now. But put on HE6SE one in a while from FA-10 is such as taste bud cleanse, it has deeper and hard hit bass and higher energy on the top which I don't like in long-term listening but it is more accurate sounding.

Jan 21, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #2,612 of 2,647
ZMF headphones are also my favorite now. But put on HE6SE one in a while from FA-10 is such as taste bud cleanse, it has deeper and hard hit bass and higher energy on the top which I don't like in long-term listening but it is more accurate sounding.
Pretty much describes the general difference between good planars and good dynamic drivers.

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #2,613 of 2,647
can you/would you use PEQ, an/or mods on the 6 SE? I have mine sounding similar to a HE-500 with bass impact and more technicals.

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #2,614 of 2,647
can you/would you use PEQ, an/or mods on the 6 SE? I have mine sounding similar to a HE-500 with bass impact and more technicals.
Currently I am not using any EQ, but I used to have EQ software install in my PC with various EQ settings, including some from this thread. I tried most of the Mods, but none of them makes any significant impact, currently the only Mods on my HE6SE is the grill, which I bought from Arctic Cables:

https://www.arcticcables.com/ac-store/Hifiman-Grill-Mod-c132077760

I think amp is the most important game changer, followed of course by EQ. If I will listen a lot from HE6SE, I will definitely EQ it, which is one of the advantage of Hifiman headphones: you can EQ them without too much distortion with great effect. For my ZMF headphones, EQ does not work that well, I have to physically roll different earpads to change the sound signature, which BTW is also amazingly significant change, unlike HE6SE (at least to my ears pads rolling sounds pretty much the same).

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #2,615 of 2,647
Currently I am not using any EQ, but I used to have EQ software install in my PC with various EQ settings, including some from this thread. I tried most of the Mods, but none of them makes any significant impact, currently the only Mods on my HE6SE is the grill, which I bought from Arctic Cables:

https://www.arcticcables.com/ac-store/Hifiman-Grill-Mod-c132077760

I think amp is the most important game changer, followed of course by EQ. If I will listen a lot from HE6SE, I will definitely EQ it, which is one of the advantage of Hifiman headphones: you can EQ them without too much distortion with great effect. For my ZMF headphones, EQ does not work that well, I have to physically roll different earpads to change the sound signature, which BTW is also amazingly significant change, unlike HE6SE (at least to my ears pads rolling sounds pretty much the same).
I have the Arctic grills, they are excellent and nicely priced.

The stators are pretty small in the HE-6 SE, so the fuzzor mod doesn't do much. My ranking:

1. amp - if you count it as a mod, get the most current you can
2. PEQ - I've listed mine a number of times if anyone cares to look - the most recent is the best
3. DCA Ether Angled - best (by far) of the 15 I've tried, and coupled with the Arctics really sing - expensive
4. Cable - hopefully XLR or SE whatever the amp ur using gives the best sound/power - any O2 free cable works, of the 11 HFM I own or owned they are poor - and I'm not a cable guy generally

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:47 AM Post #2,616 of 2,647
I have the Arctic grills, they are excellent and nicely priced.

The stators are pretty small in the HE-6 SE, so the fuzzor mod doesn't do much. My ranking:

1. amp - if you count it as a mod, get the most current you can
2. PEQ - I've listed mine a number of times if anyone cares to look - the most recent is the best
3. DCA Ether Angled - best (by far) of the 15 I've tried, and coupled with the Arctics really sing - expensive
4. Cable - hopefully XLR or SE whatever the amp ur using gives the best sound/power - any O2 free cable works, of the 11 HFM I own or owned they are poor - and I'm not a cable guy generally
I echo your opinion of the DCA Ether pads. Made these far and away the most comfortable headphones I own. I use EQ, so it's hard to tell what, if anything, the pads contribute to the overall sound profile. But, man, they at least feel like what they cost.

Jan 23, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #2,617 of 2,647

I had an FA-10 which I didn't love on the 6SE V2 because I found it to cause too much fatigue up top.

I have been running the HE6SE V2 off an Audeze Deckard for awhile now, which I find to be my favorite matching with this headphone. It softens that top out just right so you can push more volume without treble fatigue and get more of that fantastic tight and detailed bass that comes with the 6SE V2.

Everyone talks about needing X amount of power and more power being better but for me, it has been the synergy of the amp that matters the most. The HE6SE V2 benefits wonderfully from that smoother and warmer lean of the Audeze Deckard. I have a pair of HD600 which I am not a big fan of paired with the Deckard. It is ok, but to me it is a little more boring, it becomes almost more like an HD650 fed off the Deckard.

But when hooked up to an NFB11.28 (which adds more treble back into the picture), the HD600 sounds absolutely wonderful.

So - it is all about synergy IMO. Of course everyone has different preferences when it comes to brightness etc but I have found myself to like a particular range of brightness which is very dependent on both headphone and amp.

I've found a slightly warmer leaning amp like the Deckard with a more neutral amp like the NFB 11.28 to be a fantastic solution as most of the headphones in my collection can improve with one or the other.

I avoid brighter amps generally but could probably enjoy those warmer leaning headphones that I don't so much if I owned brighter amps...

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #2,618 of 2,647
I'd love to try out your PEQ settings, but after looking for a bit, I struck out and couldn't find them. Would you mind posting / messaging them? I've had my HE-6 SE V2s on a shelf for about 6 months in favor of my Aryas, but brought them out today and am forgetting why I hadn't listened to them in so long... they're so good. I've got a couple PEQ settings I've been cycling through to see if I like one over the other...

I have some pretty thick AliExpress leather pads and will definitely try out the DCA Ether Angled ones as I think comfort is why I prefer the Arya. I definitely need to get a new headband stat too.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #2,619 of 2,647
I'd love to try out your PEQ settings, but after looking for a bit, I struck out and couldn't find them. Would you mind posting / messaging them? I've had my HE-6 SE V2s on a shelf for about 6 months in favor of my Aryas, but brought them out today and am forgetting why I hadn't listened to them in so long... they're so good. I've got a couple PEQ settings I've been cycling through to see if I like one over the other...

I have some pretty thick AliExpress leather pads and will definitely try out the DCA Ether Angled ones as I think comfort is why I prefer the Arya. I definitely need to get a new headband stat too.
48 Hz +2.4 Q 1.0 bass shelf
620 Hz -1.8 Q 1.8
1.8k +3.6 Q 2.2
3.8k -3.0 Q 6.0
7.5k +2.0 Q 4.2
9.0k -3.6 Q 8.0 (not for FR, for ringing)

If you have more than 6 bands, then try the following. The settings at 7.5k, 9.2k, 14k all could vary a bit due to unit variation.

70 Hz +1.2 Q 1.0 bass shelf
3.2k -1.4 Q 6.8
14k +3.4 Q 7.0

The headband of the v2 is crappy for sure. I recommend the DCA Ether Angled for the sound - no idea if they are more comfortable than what you have now.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #2,623 of 2,647
Have you tried Dekoni Elite Sheepskins?
I have a grill modded set with sheepskins and so far am pretty dang happy with the sound without EQ.

I do agree that amp can add a nice spice over the top.
I had quite a few pads bought many years ago and I have to check them out, I don't remember now :frowning2:. If not, I will check them out for sure.

PS: just found out I bought another version. I don't remember the details, but I found it not so much different from the stock and it is now collecting dust. Will probably place the order for the sheepskin one.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #2,624 of 2,647
I'm so surprised about how good the HE6SE V2 is and how close to D8000 Pro gets with HA-6A..... The bass is absolutely amazing, impactful and visceral, better than D8KP even with EQ....

And I just paid over 400€ and removed the grills as soon as I got it.... Using Oratory EQ

Edit: After A/B intensively w D8000 Pro I can say the bass in D8K is way more tight and accurate, increasing the bass thru EQ shows the real power of this cans, HE6SE V2 surprises because of the big quantity of it but can't compete

V281 can move HE6SE V2 very easily w +12dB using balanced in/out, not that deal of a headphone to be powered!

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #2,625 of 2,647
I'm so surprised about how good the HE6SE V2 is and how close to D8000 Pro gets with HA-6A..... The bass is absolutely amazing, impactful and visceral, better than D8KP even with EQ....
Really? Cool. The D8000 Pro I heard was better then my 6 SE v1
And I just paid over 400€ and removed the grills as soon as I got it.... Using Oratory EQ
Other mods available too if you care to check them out.

Welcome to the club!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back