HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Dec 28, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #2,596 of 2,647
How can I tell whether a driver is stuck without opening the backplate? I'm picking up a pair from a local seller, and I don't think he would be happy to have his headphones opened up before money changes hands.

EDIT: I see some fixed it by "reverse CPR". Good to know.
While I haven't tried this on stuck set, physics says that you should be able to tell if it's stuck by shining a bright flashlight through the grille side and looking at the color pattern shining through on the pad side (all the pictures I have seen the membrane is stuck to the outside magnets). Here is the full post I made about it. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-he6-se.886229/post-16685778

Let us know how it goes! :o2smile:

Dec 28, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #2,597 of 2,647
How can I tell whether a driver is stuck without opening the backplate? I'm picking up a pair from a local seller, and I don't think he would be happy to have his headphones opened up before money changes hands.

EDIT: I see some fixed it by "reverse CPR". Good to know.
since it's a somewhat common and notorious issue I think you'd be fine in asking confirmation that the drivers aren't stuck. there are some pictures on headfi that someone indicated what to look for, probably can be found via googling since the search function on the site isn't the best. essentially you'll be shining a light on the driver and looking at an angle. it looks like window blinds and there should be space in between the slats. I actually ripped a driver trying the reverse CPR technique on my first pair from adorama.

Dec 28, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #2,599 of 2,647
While I haven't tried this on stuck set, physics says that you should be able to tell if it's stuck by shining a bright flashlight through the grille side and looking at the color pattern shining through on the pad side (all the pictures I have seen the membrane is stuck to the outside magnets). Here is the full post I made about it. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-he6-se.886229/post-16685778

Let us know how it goes! :o2smile:

Yes I understand that's the common way to tell. But you have to open the backplate to do it, right? The pic from your link is a opened backplate.

Thanks for writing that post, btw. Very informative and straightforward.

Dec 28, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #2,600 of 2,647
Yes I understand that's the common way to tell. But you have to open the backplate to do it, right? The pic from your link is a opened backplate.

Thanks for writing that post, btw. Very informative and straightforward.
The first half, yes, is a diagram showing how to spot it with the grille off. However, the second half of the post is showing the flashlight method you can do without removing the grille. That photo I took of the light shining through the driver is with my grille in place.

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #2,601 of 2,647
The first half, yes, is a diagram showing how to spot it with the grille off. However, the second half of the post is showing the flashlight method you can do without removing the grille. That photo I took of the light shining through the driver is with my grille in place.

Ah, I see now. The second part was not referred to as much by others as the first part, so I missed it. Thanks for reminding. I really appreciate it. Will definitely try it and report back. Thanks again!

Jan 2, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #2,603 of 2,647
Ah, I see now. The second part was not referred to as much by others as the first part, so I missed it. Thanks for reminding. I really appreciate it. Will definitely try it and report back. Thanks again!

Report back: It turned out to be quite difficult for me to check for a stuck driver by shining a flashlight through the grill. From most angles, it's mostly blue with some hints of gold at certain angles. I could not be sure. So the seller decided to open the grill, and they looked pretty good and clear to me. Also, I listened for a few minutes, and the bass sounded deep and natural. I happily bought it. Again, thanks for all your tips and suggestions!

IMG_3972 2.jpeg
IMG_3973 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #2,604 of 2,647
Report back: It turned out to be quite difficult to check for a stuck driver by shining a flashlight through the grill. From most angles, it's mostly blue with some hints of gold at certain angles. I could not be sure. So the seller decided to open the grill, and they looked pretty good and clear to me. Also, I listened for a few minutes, and the bass sounded deep and natural. I happily brought it. Again, thanks for all your tips and suggestions!

IMG_3972 2.jpegIMG_3973 2.jpeg
Glad it worked out for you! Those drivers look good. Sorry for the unreliable method using the flashlight. It was theory I came up with but I havent got to test it on a stuck pair so I don't know if it works for sure. In the end, nothing beats being able to see the drivers with the grilles off to tell for certain.

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #2,605 of 2,647
Yup, that's a fine looking pair. 'Grats!

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #2,606 of 2,647
Glad it worked out for you! Those drivers look good. Sorry for the unreliable method using the flashlight. It was theory I came up with but I havent got to test it on a stuck pair so I don't know if it works for sure. In the end, nothing beats being able to see the drivers with the grilles off to tell for certain.

It probably works but just not for my untrained newbie eyes haha. Again very informative post you made, which helped me a lot. Thanks again!

Jan 21, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #2,608 of 2,647
After I got my Atrium open with tube amp, I have been neglecting my HE6SE for a while (almost a year or longer). Today I re-arrange my desk replacing my retiring desktop with laptop (bye bey forever desktop computer), I put on HE6SE from the huge FA-10 (took a chuck of my desk space unfortunately) and it sounds fantastic.

It always good to have different taste, I need to find the EQ I used for HE6SE to make it sounds better.

Jan 21, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #2,609 of 2,647
great sounding headphones but with a number of caveats. garbage stock cable, uncomfortable headband, suspect build, power hungry, and the whole stuck driver issue
I am fortunate with Hifiman so far, I got my Sundara as my first audiophile headphone and love it. I sold it to upgrade to HE6SE and fell into that rabbit hole. I ended up with a powerful amp that only paired with HE6SE.

Jan 21, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #2,610 of 2,647
I am fortunate with Hifiman so far, I got my Sundara as my first audiophile headphone and love it. I sold it to upgrade to HE6SE and fell into that rabbit hole. I ended up with a powerful amp that only paired with HE6SE.
same upgrade here. I already had a Jotunheim 2 before getting the HE6SEV2, which sounds great but I know something more powerful is ideal. FA-10 was one I was looking at, as well as the Burson Solist 3XP. but lately I've been preoccupied with my Verite Open and tubes when not using iems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back