HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Dec 17, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #2,581 of 2,647
Hi!

Has anyone installed this headband on the HE6sev2?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804703270155.html?gatewayAdapt=esp2usa4itemAdapt

Which one should I pick, 100 or 110 mm?
Nope, but I’m definitely curious if any of the Ali Express headbands are very good. I’m still on the hunt for a permanent replacement headband myself. I’m currently using Hifiman’s New Enhanced Comfort headband, which is worlds better than the stock headband, but still not quite ideal.

And if it helps, I’m pretty sure the Audeze yokes that people use with the HE6se v2 are 110mm.

Dec 17, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #2,582 of 2,647
Nope, but I’m definitely curious if any of the Ali Express headbands are very good. I’m still on the hunt for a permanent replacement headband myself. I’m currently using Hifiman’s New Enhanced Comfort headband, which is worlds better than the stock headband, but still not quite ideal.

And if it helps, I’m pretty sure the Audeze yokes that people use with the HE6se v2 are 110mm.

Yep, Audeze are 110 mm. so that should be the size.

Well, the one I linked is quite cheap so maybe I'll roll the dice and order one.

Dec 17, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #2,583 of 2,647
Yep, Audeze are 110 mm. so that should be the size.

Well, the one I linked is quite cheap so maybe I'll roll the dice and order one.
maybe just measure the original one... right?

Dec 17, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #2,584 of 2,647
Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #2,585 of 2,647
maybe just measure the original one... right?
I did, but the diameter of the HE6 is 105 mm... that's why I asked for help

Dec 18, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #2,586 of 2,647
Dec 18, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #2,587 of 2,647
I did, but the diameter of the HE6 is 105 mm... that's why I asked for help
It is not the cup that should be measured but the arch that supports it :wink:

Dec 18, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #2,588 of 2,647
It is not the cup that should be measured but the arch that supports it :wink:
Ok, question is settled. You've been very helpful. Thanks.

Dec 18, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #2,590 of 2,647
Unbelievable how sought after these became
What do you mean? Seems like a bit of a “drive-by” post. Are you saying they’re overrated? Are you saying they’re hard to find? Are you surprised a low sensitivity headphone would be desirable?

Dec 18, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #2,591 of 2,647
What do you mean? Seems like a bit of a “drive-by” post. Are you saying they’re overrated? Are you saying they’re hard to find? Are you surprised a low sensitivity headphone would be desirable?
no i dont mean the are overrated, just its amazing how over the years these are still being talked about because they are still relevant, they attained kind of a cult status.

Dec 18, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #2,592 of 2,647
Have you heard one?

Dec 18, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #2,593 of 2,647
no i dont mean the are overrated, just its amazing how over the years these are still being talked about because they are still relevant, they attained kind of a cult status.
Ah, gotcha. I think it’s because they’re unusually good for the “sale” price they can be gotten at. And I think they can be had at that price because they’re also unusually hard to drive with questionable build quality. Quirky but impressive. Ideal conditions for creating a cult favorite.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #2,594 of 2,647
probably not a popular opinion, but the best pads ive used for the he6sev2 are the egg shape dekoni velour. i 4 small points of hot glue to attach and they sound incredible. give the soundstage of the egg shaped and mellow out the highs just right.

cant go back to zmf or any other circular pads after these
I finally got around to it, so, I just wanted to post my experience about the egg-shaped velour pads on the 6se v2 designed for headphones like the Arya and Edition XS. I bought mine from AliExpress and added some pantyhose as dust screen since they didn't include any and the Edition X v2 I bought them for don't have any built in dust filters on the ear side of the driver.

I didn't attach them in any meaningful way for my testing, just kind of lined them up and held them on with my fingers until the clamp from putting them on my head would hold them on.

Subjective:
Nice sound overall! A bit of added bass from air gapping since they obviously don't fit on the cups and hang off the top and bottom, but it's definitely more controlled than some other methods of creating the effect. Overall the treble and midrange sounded very similar to other velour pads I have tried (which I really like). Unsurprisingly, the soundstage is a bit larger, especially vertically.

Objective:
Well, well, well! There is that bass boost from breaking the seal and, basically, it looks just like the VelPad with a bass boost! They didn't sound quite as aggessive as the VelPad to me, but that could be the larger ear opening changing my perception (or a million other things, lol).

As usual, measurements were made on my homemade rig, so aren't comparible to anything else, etc., etc.

HE6se-v2-Hifiman-PaliPads(Stock)-vs-AliE-EggShaped-Velour-Comparison.jpgHE6se-v2-Hifiman-Round-Velour-vs-AliE-EggShaped-Velour-Comparison.jpgHE6se-v2-Hifiman-VelPads-vs-AliE-EggShaped-Velour-Comparison.jpg

Conclusion:
Honestly, if they were able to mount better on the headphone, I would consider switching to them (don't want to use hot glue as suggested since I pad roll way too much for a solution like that!). That natural bass boost from the air gap is tempting. Maybe I should just design a 3D printed adaptor that adds an air gap to the velour pads I usually use. That would be less work than trying to get something to line up with all of those tabs on the egg-shaped pads, but would miss out on some of that vertical soundstage. Anyway, it's an intriguing pad and if you are willing to deal with mounting it (glue, tape, etc.), it's a solid option if that's the sound you are looking for!

Dec 28, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #2,595 of 2,647
How can I tell whether a driver is stuck without opening the backplate? I'm picking up a pair from a local seller, and I don't think he would be happy to have his headphones opened up before money changes hands.

EDIT: I see some fixed it by "reverse CPR". Good to know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back