HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Jan 18, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #1,876 of 2,647
Every time I used an all leather earpads (were both angled and fenestrated) always created a v shaped sound sig on all my Hifimans (he4xx, sundara, and he6v2) as well as the Elex. It increases the bass and the treble comes through more but the mids sounded so hollowed out. Perhaps the DCA pads are different as I’ve never tried those but every lamb skin pads seemed to change the sound signature this way. But we all have preferences so the change might rock your boat

Jan 18, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #1,877 of 2,647
Every time I used an all leather earpads (were both angled and fenestrated) always created a v shaped sound sig on all my Hifimans (he4xx, sundara, and he6v2) as well as the Elex. It increases the bass and the treble comes through more but the mids sounded so hollowed out. Perhaps the DCA pads are different as I’ve never tried those but every lamb skin pads seemed to change the sound signature this way. But we all have preferences so the change might rock your boat
Surprisingly this is opposite to what these measurements show.
4d09c00175b1e8899c5ca5db1a1035528372cba3.jpeg

Here's the post with measurements from Antdroid using solid leather pads.
His words

The thicker leather pads sound pretty decent too but make a very loud driver crinkle sound which I don’t like.

And another post from him with different pads measurements, no fenestrated though.
Probably better graph in his blog.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #1,878 of 2,647
Surprisingly this is opposite to what these measurements show.
4d09c00175b1e8899c5ca5db1a1035528372cba3.jpeg

Here's the post with measurements from Antdroid using solid leather pads.
His words

And another post from him with different pads measurements, no fenestrated though.
Probably better graph in his blog.
That is surprising (and interesting). I don’t have any equipment to measure (other than my own ears) and Antdriod is obviously well respected so I don’t doubt his assessment. As mentioned before, it wasn’t just the hifimans; I have dekoni fenestrated leather pads for Elex and compared to stock, the leather clearly created a v shaped sound like it did for all my hifimans.

Admittedly, I can’t state how a certain measuring graph will sound (since no equipment) but I can generally pick out how a sound sig have shifted. I attributed the change in sound to the difference in material but perhaps other factors contribute more.

I still haven’t gotten around to playing around with the pads on my new and old he6 but when I do, I’ll include the leather pads as well to reconfirm. Thanks for the info above tho 👍

Jan 18, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #1,879 of 2,647
Just want to add that after owning these a little longer - these are to me the most technically resolving headphone I've had the joy of owning. I feel like all these micro details in tracks pop right through with these with ease. Amazing definition of the sound and clarity. The word reference is what comes to my mind. But even with that word, it's reference in a fully enjoyable way, not a sterile or dry. The bass is potent and goes down so low but it's the definition and control of the bass which is amazing.

There is an overall cohesiveness of this headphone from top to bottom that impresses me so much. The soundstage is excellent too. The brightness is dialed in beautifully here - it's bright but that extra brightness reveals so much. They just sound... well fresh.

Clear MG is the only other headphone I can recall that really resolved at such a high level like these and those were more than 2x the cost.

I am convinced there is no better purchase at $400, dollar for dollar.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #1,880 of 2,647
They're not cables. They're a special hybrid made from used catheters and last week's spaghetti leftovers.
That’s an image I won’t soon forget… And I cannot find any fault with
Just want to add that after owning these a little longer - these are to me the most technically resolving headphone I've owned. I feel like all these micro details in tracks pop right through with these with ease. Amazing definition of the sound and clarity. The word reference is what comes to my mind. But even with that word, it's reference in a fully enjoyable way, not a sterile or dry. The bass is potent and goes down so low but it's the definition and control of the bass which is amazing.

There is an overall cohesiveness of this headphone from top to bottom that impresses me so much. The soundstage is excellent too. The brightness is dialed in beautifully here - it's bright but that extra brightness reveals so much. They just sound... fresh.

Clear MG is the only other headphone I can recall that really resolved at such a high level like these and those were more than 2x the cost.

I am convinced there is no better purchase at $400, dollar for dollar.
I too am quite impressed what I got for $400. I will say that the Elex outperform these, but at 2x the price I am happy they do or I would be quite disappointed in the Elex. I wish I had pulled the trigger on the HE6 a long time ago.

Jan 19, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #1,882 of 2,647
I vastly prefer HE6SEv2 over Clear MG, not like Clear MG are bad phones, but IMO for technical performance alone not a match to HE6SE, which are more detailed and spacious even though not a soundstage monster like HD800 or HE1000v2.
In my book they are more at the level of LCD-X 2021.

Jan 19, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #1,883 of 2,647
I just remember a similar feeling of hearing a lot of small minute details that other headphones missed with the Clear MG.

Not a lot of headphones that came through my collection have that effect for me like these do and those did, though I have only had a handful at that price point.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #1,884 of 2,647
I vastly prefer HE6SEv2 over Clear MG, not like Clear MG are bad phones, but IMO for technical performance alone not a match to HE6SE, which are more detailed and spacious even though not a soundstage monster like HD800 or HE1000v2.
In my book they are more at the level of LCD-X 2021.
I can see that. I've been listening almost exclusively to my newer LCD-GXs over the past week and I am extremely impressed with them. But when I switch back to the HE6sev2 I can immediately tell that the HE6s are on another level. LCD-GXs are quite good, but the HE6's have better dynamics, details, FR etc.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #1,885 of 2,647
I also would agree with the sentiments here. I tend to reach for my HE6se more often than MG's and they are a tier above my old Audeze's, especially in slam and rumble.

Jan 19, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #1,886 of 2,647
I have the Elex and although it's a fine headphone, the only thing it does better than the He6V2 is bass/slam. But with my cheap aliexpress earpads mentioned not long ago, the He6v2 can compete with the Elex in this department. The major problem of Elex for me is its timbre. The upper frequencies have this metallic sheen to it that makes things sound unnatural. I had the Elegia for about a week and it had the same timbre issues but much worse.

Jan 19, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #1,887 of 2,647
I had Elex before for months and I certainly prefer these. Elex is still a very good headphone though.

I personally think the Clear MG would be more of a competition to these HE6SE but hey - to each his own!
I paid $599.00 for these and they were a steal for me! I paid the same for my Elex's, which have been a favourite as they are not amp dependent.

I now have the OG Clears and they are just another kind of great. It took seven years, but I now do not own any headphones that I don't love. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back