HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Dec 11, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #1,697 of 2,647
I think it was covered a few times before. But for those who are on the fence with regards to amp choice, do give Schiit Jotunheim 2 a try. I still listen through the Jot 2 and it sounds good, even compared to the other more expensive SS amps I tried with it.

Also, it is difficult to compare planar and dynamic cans in the end. They are just too different (in general). I can also say the same vice versa regarding the HD6X0 vs HE6se v2.

Dec 12, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #1,698 of 2,647
I couldn't resist, ordered a set from Adorama on their $399 special, and will power them with the Jot2. I've got until Feb 1 to return them if they don't work out, so I fail to see a downside.... Should be fun! :L3000:

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #1,699 of 2,647
I couldn't resist, ordered a set from Adorama on their $399 special, and will power them with the Jot2. I've got until Feb 1 to return them if they don't work out, so I fail to see a downside.... Should be fun! :L3000:
$399, holy $HIT BATMAN! :D

Dec 12, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #1,701 of 2,647
The $400 price drop has me thinking that they might be close to selling through the run of these. That's why I had to finally give in and pick up a pair, need for a new amp be damned. I've always wanted a pair.
Probably. That's what they did with the "v1". Imagine what a v3 would be like - say get the bass impact of the OG? So debut the v3 at $799 on Adorama around March '23, wait until say August '24, and get them for $399 or $499.... if my v1 or 500 are cooked by then, it will be a welcome add for an insane price.

The v2 are not as good as: Susvara, LCD-4, D8000, Phi, HEK v2, and at least a dozen more - but check the prices - even used the best prices are 3x a new v2. Estats are on a whole other price scale. Anybody with the power, that doesn't have the OG, v1, or similar and is looking to add - should look at these.

Weakness: needs addressing: cable, pads, dip at 1.8k;

mild issues: head gear, rear screens, bit of ringing at 3k and 9k, slight bass shelf needed under 50 Hz;

Ask yourself at $399 - Adorama is earning $75-100, shipping, labor, material cost, etc. $100, so HFM is making ~$200+ a pop. How much more does it take to produce a Susvara? Boutique retail pricing for a company that has very low labor costs and costs of doing business - that's all it is. They'd make plenty if they retailed them for $1200, but it would ruin the price structure of their offerings, not to mention the exclusivity of owning an insanely expensive bauble. I wish they would plow 5% of their profits into the pads, cables, screens, tuning, and QA since the actual drivers are ridiculously good.

Dec 12, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #1,702 of 2,647
Dec 12, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #1,703 of 2,647
For the $400 price tag I went ahead and got another pair and I ordered the new comfort headband for it.... I'm going to attempt to fix what I can... Another great deal going on is the HE1000v2 at $1900 if you can find them now... Hifiman is getting ready to release the stealth version of the HE1000v2... already seen in Germany, so it won't be long now..... the headphone guys put on a live review of the HE1000v2 a couple days ago and several comments were interesting... like right out of the box the HE1000v2 actually beats the Audeze LCD-5 .... but with EQ the LCD-5 could beat the HE1000V2... thats saying somthing pretty good... so if you have to EQ the LCD-5 to beat out the HD1000v2 there isn't anyone stopping you from putting EQ on the HE1000V2 .... see how that works ... does make me wish Hifiman would come out with a deal for the Susvara too...

Dec 12, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #1,704 of 2,647
Speaking of headband, another thing all the new owners here should know is that the headphone is really pretty uncomfortable in stock form. Some people use Dekoni nuggets to great effect, but that won't cut it if you've got a big melon like me. I already have to fully extend the sides to get it to fit my head without any additional padding. The Dekoni nugs add too much thickness and the headphone won't fit my head anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love the nugs, they've saved other headphones for me in the past. But they're not a good solution here if you've got a big head.

But I found that this pad is an inexpensive way to greatly increase the comfort:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0926Z4GFV?psc=1

Went from basically unwearable to, y'know, adjust it maybe once an hour to relieve a hotspot. Huge improvement in comfort without adding that much thickness to the headband like the Dekoni nuggets do.

Dec 12, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #1,705 of 2,647
For me this is true of pretty much every headphone with a single headstrap. The only stock headphones that don't hurt my head are Audeze, despite the weight.

Dec 12, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #1,706 of 2,647
a
For me this is true of pretty much every headphone with a single headstrap. The only stock headphones that don't hurt my head are Audeze, despite the weight.
For me it's just these and the Cascades. Incredible pain! But Nuggets fixed both. But with the V2's the sliders are now just about maxed. :smile:

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #1,707 of 2,647
Speaking of headband, another thing all the new owners here should know is that the headphone is really pretty uncomfortable in stock form. Some people use Dekoni nuggets to great effect, but that won't cut it if you've got a big melon like me. I already have to fully extend the sides to get it to fit my head without any additional padding. The Dekoni nugs add too much thickness and the headphone won't fit my head anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love the nugs, they've saved other headphones for me in the past. But they're not a good solution here if you've got a big head.

But I found that this pad is an inexpensive way to greatly increase the comfort:

Went from basically unwearable to, y'know, adjust it maybe once an hour to relieve a hotspot. Huge improvement in comfort without adding that much thickness to the headband like the Dekoni nuggets do.
Thanks for the heads up (see what I did there? 😂). I will have to take a look at that pad.

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #1,709 of 2,647

Thanks for the idea and link... I put one on order for my M50 headband that is showing lots of wear and tear...

Dec 14, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #1,710 of 2,647
For the $400 price tag I went ahead and got another pair and I ordered the new comfort headband for it.... I'm going to attempt to fix what I can... Another great deal going on is the HE1000v2 at $1900 if you can find them now... Hifiman is getting ready to release the stealth version of the HE1000v2... already seen in Germany, so it won't be long now..... the headphone guys put on a live review of the HE1000v2 a couple days ago and several comments were interesting... like right out of the box the HE1000v2 actually beats the Audeze LCD-5 .... but with EQ the LCD-5 could beat the HE1000V2... thats saying somthing pretty good... so if you have to EQ the LCD-5 to beat out the HD1000v2 there isn't anyone stopping you from putting EQ on the HE1000V2 .... see how that works ... does make me wish Hifiman would come out with a deal for the Susvara too...
I saw the Enhanced Comfort Headband and there's also one listed on Aliexpress, are either or any others a direct bolt on to the He6se v2's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back