HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Nov 11, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #256 of 2,647
As much as I like the sound from these headphones, and I'm enjoying the dekoni peft sheepskin...hifiman's pad system has to be one of my least favorite. Frustratingly difficult to put on, and applying even a little bit of extra force will break the attenuation ring. Pretty much their system stinks. If anyone has a tip on making it easier let me know :).

Nov 12, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #257 of 2,647
Thank god for Dekoni Nugs.

Nov 13, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #258 of 2,647
As much as I like the sound from these headphones, and I'm enjoying the dekoni peft sheepskin...hifiman's pad system has to be one of my least favorite. Frustratingly difficult to put on, and applying even a little bit of extra force will break the attenuation ring. Pretty much their system stinks. If anyone has a tip on making it easier let me know :).
Indeed, it took me quite a lot of time and effort to replace the pads. The stock pads quality looked so cheap after taking them down, as cheap as the stock cable, sigh

Nov 13, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #259 of 2,647

The trick is to use a credit card to push the tabs off and to ease them back on. @DavidA pioneered this method and has been helping people swap HiFiMan pads for years. Here's a few of his helpful posts on the subject:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...-and-discussion.698974/page-804#post-13411892
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...cussion-thread.711824/page-1194#post-13632736
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...-and-discussion.698974/page-898#post-13963107

You can also search for posts of his that include the word "card" to find several more versions of this advice. I can attest that after a few tries swapping the pads becomes a minor annoyance rather than a rage-inducing dexterity test.

Nov 19, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #260 of 2,647
This was a great set of headphones out of the box. After playing with them a couple of weeks, pad rolling a bit, EQing a bit, now they're even better. DCA angled Ether Flow pads + Aliexpress OFC cable + Dekoni Nuggets + bumping up the bass (not subbass) on Lokius and it's just *chef's kiss.* Only complaint is that the pads seem to make planar crinkle more of a thing when I adjust them.

IMG_2166.jpeg

Nov 19, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #261 of 2,647
The trick is to use a credit card to push the tabs off and to ease them back on. @DavidA pioneered this method and has been helping people swap HiFiMan pads for years. Here's a few of his helpful posts on the subject:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...-and-discussion.698974/page-804#post-13411892
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...cussion-thread.711824/page-1194#post-13632736
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...-and-discussion.698974/page-898#post-13963107

You can also search for posts of his that include the word "card" to find several more versions of this advice. I can attest that after a few tries swapping the pads becomes a minor annoyance rather than a rage-inducing dexterity test.
Interesting. I've done this over a dozen times and not used a card.

* make sure leather is cut far enough from tab so that locking can take place.

* line up tabs with slits. A little side to side rotation should leave you with 1 or 2 non fitting tabs. If you pucker them slightly you can usually get a fit in 3 or less tries.

* key: once all locked gently rotate tab to halfway between slits. This keeps them from falling off right away.

BTW tried tape and glue and even plastic tubing to make airtight fit to "help" the bass in several cans just wrecked sound balance. A little leaking seems to work best - but not in long cup HFM's the length of the fit plus unique head shape forces u to find best fit and nuggets could be needed.

Nov 19, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #262 of 2,647
This was a great set of headphones out of the box. After playing with them a couple of weeks, pad rolling a bit, EQing a bit, now they're even better. DCA angled Ether Flow pads + Aliexpress OFC cable + Dekoni Nuggets + bumping up the bass (not subbass) on Lokius and it's just *chef's kiss.* Only complaint is that the pads seem to make planar crinkle more of a thing when I adjust them.

I put Dekoni Sheepskin earpads, and it also causes me to put on the headphones carefully in order to not let them crinkle too hard putting them on. More importantly, the headphone became a step more shouty in a glarey way, so I needed to put a single-ply of toilet paper, or I have to EQ.

As for the Dekoni nuggets, I think I will try that. Is 4 nuggets necessary? Or just 2?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #263 of 2,647
I put Dekoni Sheepskin earpads, and it also causes me to put on the headphones carefully in order to not let them crinkle too hard putting them on. More importantly, the headphone became a step more shouty in a glarey way, so I needed to put a single-ply of toilet paper, or I have to EQ.

As for the Dekoni nuggets, I think I will try that. Is 4 nuggets necessary? Or just 2?
They're sold in packs of 4. I think 2 might work, but I had 4, so I used 4.

Nov 19, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #264 of 2,647

I just used two Nuggets on mine as the pain was just at the top of my head. Of course I then I had to extend the ear cups several notches down.

Nov 20, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #265 of 2,647
I just tried Equalizer APO/Peace along with Crinacle's AutoEQ HE6se V2 Parametric EQ. It really dialed in that extra 15% precision that I missed by ear. Sounds even better now.
Since I can't run Exclusive Mode with hardware MQA decoding on Equalizer APO, I used similar settings for my Lokius, so both modes sound top notch.

Crisp, clean, detailed, plenty of high quality bass. Could make these my one and only headphone and be totally happy, yet I ordered the Edition XS anyway.

Nov 20, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #266 of 2,647
I just tried Equalizer APO/Peace along with Crinacle's AutoEQ HE6se V2 Parametric EQ. It really dialed in that extra 15% precision that I missed by ear. Sounds even better now.
Since I can't run Exclusive Mode with hardware MQA decoding on Equalizer APO, I used similar settings for my Lokius, so both modes sound top notch.

Crisp, clean, detailed, plenty of high quality bass. Could make these my one and only headphone and be totally happy, yet I ordered the Edition XS anyway.
I'm looking forward to a comparison between the HE6se V2 and Edition XS!

Nov 20, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #267 of 2,647

I strive to be objectively function-over-form with this hobby but man, those nuggets look silly.

Nov 20, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #268 of 2,647
If you look at the official posters of the dekoni nuggets. This seems to be the displayed format of putting them: 2 at the sides, and 1 in the middle with a different orientation.

Screenshot_20211120-224759_Samsung Internet.jpg

Though I imagine nothing in the middle would be best. So your head there isn't touching anything. Cause that is what I imagine you hope to avoid as a hotspot by keeping it empty.

Though they do show an example of a suspension headband using 4 nuggets. But that makes no sense cause it wouldn't prevent any hotspots. Also kills the point of having a suspension headband. Makes more sense to cut the suspension strap of the headband to be shorter.

Screenshot_20211120-225829_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #269 of 2,647
The eBay seller who makes honeycomb grills really turns stuff around fast. Still trying to figure out if the difference in sound is noticeable or if I'm subconsciously justifying my tinkering, but they look good and they sound nice. Maybe a bigger soundstage l-r. I remain very impressed with these cans. Even driving them off of a reasonably priced amp (Monoprice THX 887), they just sound good. Excellent clarity and speed.

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #270 of 2,647
I strive to be objectively function-over-form with this hobby but man, those nuggets look silly.
Look absurd, feel great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back