HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Nov 22, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #272 of 2,701
One of the first things I did was to change the incredibly uncomfortable headband, I have no idea wy hifiman just didn't keep the he6se headband
What did you replace it with? I'm considering getting a set of ZMF headband + gimbels, as I really like the comfort of my ZMFs. I know some folks have used Audeze, but it seems like it's a crapshoot if you can get all the parts.

Nov 22, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #273 of 2,701
What did you replace it with? I'm considering getting a set of ZMF headband + gimbels, as I really like the comfort of my ZMFs. I know some folks have used Audeze, but it seems like it's a crapshoot if you can get all the parts.
20211104_194118.jpg

Audeze carbon fiber headband

Nov 22, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #274 of 2,701
I strive to be objectively function-over-form with this hobby but man, those nuggets look silly.
But they are SO comfortable. And that is what I want when reclined in my lazy boy blasting the tunes.
:L3000:

Nov 22, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #276 of 2,701
Adorama has about 15 "open box" HE--6se v2 listed at $555. Been stalling to see XS available in the now in the US with a warranty.... Thus the v2 looks like the pick.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #278 of 2,701
I just got another pair of HE6se V2. It sounds very narrow and lacking dynamics compared to my old pair. At first I thought something was wrong with my Questyle CMA Twelve amp. But then I switched my old pair onto the Questyle and the magic returned. I guess I shall let it burn in overnight and check it again tomorrow.

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #279 of 2,701
Does ZMF sell the headband and gimbals on their own?
I know they sell the gimbals and the rods because I was going to replace the ones from my VC before I sold it but you might have to own a pair of zmf headphones. That's the problem with audeze, they sell the headband but to purchase the gimbal kit you have to provide a serial number for one of their headphones

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #280 of 2,701
I just got another pair of HE6se V2. It sounds very narrow and lacking dynamics compared to my old pair. At first I thought something was wrong with my Questyle CMA Twelve amp. But then I switched my old pair onto the Questyle and the magic returned. I guess I shall let it burn in overnight and check it again tomorrow.
I have started to second guess if my pair of HE6se V2 was bad batch or faulty, soundstage was small and dynamics flat as heck unless blasting 80 decibels or so volume , tested with plenty of amplifiers ranging from 2 to 10 wats but no remedy.

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #281 of 2,701
I have started to second guess if my pair of HE6se V2 was bad batch or faulty, soundstage was small and dynamics flat as heck unless blasting 80 decibels or so volume , tested with plenty of amplifiers ranging from 2 to 10 wats but no remedy.
Yeah, I've wondered this myself. There seems to be a tremendously wide range of opinions on these cans, especially as it pertains to the low end. I'm curious if there really is wide variance in FR from unit to unit, or if what one listener considers "good, well-extended bass" is just their opinion, and could be considered "anaemic" to another. But it's funny because you don't tend to get the same range of opinions with other headphones, at least not to the degree you see in reviews of the HE6seV2 (just a for instance, but doesn't pretty much everybody agree that LCDs have excellent bass extension?). I'd love to hear a few others' units to get some clarity on the subject (Boston-area HE6seV2 enthusiasts meetup at some point perhaps?)

I'm running mine off a recently acquired Ragnarok 2 and tweaking the output with a Lokius, like a few of the rest of you. Was using a Liquid Platinum before that. And off the speaker taps on a Denon integrated amp before the LP. I happen to really like these a lot, and think the Rag has the best grip on these drivers, though the LP really does hold its own in this respect. In other words the Rag isn't $1000 better than the LP by any means.

Re: the hotspot at the top of the headband... yeah I'm also dealing with this. It sucks. But after a few months of storing them on a homemade headphone stand made from galvanized pipe, I've managed to wear a small, permanent dent in the very center of the band, and it really has helped to alleviate that brutal headache these tend to produce.

Great thread, all. Glad I finally got caught up so I could contribute without being off-topic and out of date with my comments

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #282 of 2,701
Hifiman QC strikes again, it seems

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #283 of 2,701
Given that the gimbals are the hardest thing to find, is there any reason I couldn't just cut the stock gimbals off of the part that runs into the headband, drill a hole in them, and attach Audeze yokes to the drilled hole without having to try and track down someone selling gimbals?

EDIT: I'm thinking this wouldn't work terribly well since the clamping would end up way too low... unless I used a centimeter or so worth of the metal that goes out from the gimbal to the headband, and put the hole + yoke in it.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #284 of 2,701
Given that the gimbals are the hardest thing to find, is there any reason I couldn't just cut the stock gimbals off of the part that runs into the headband, drill a hole in them, and attach Audeze yokes to the drilled hole without having to try and track down someone selling gimbals?

EDIT: I'm thinking this wouldn't work terribly well since the clamping would end up way too low... unless I used a centimeter or so worth of the metal that goes out from the gimbal to the headband, and put the hole + yoke in it.
You actually can but you would have to reverse the gimbal and bend them a bit but you have a great idea. I will attach a picture for reference and I measured the space for the hole on the hifiman gimbal and you have more then enough space
20211123_050953.jpg

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #285 of 2,701
You actually can but you would have to reverse the gimbal and bend them a bit but you have a great idea. I will attach a picture for reference and I measured the space for the hole on the hifiman gimbal and you have more then enough space
20211123_050953.jpg
Thanks! That's exactly what I was envisioning in my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back