HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Aug 16, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #1,291 of 2,647
I was wondering if this is still a good buy in 2022
Of my collection of headphones, the top three headphones are:
1st ZMF Aeolus $1,200
2nd, 3rd HifiMan HE6se V2 $500
2nd, 3rd Audeze LCD-X $1,200
That last two headphones switch back and forth for 2nd and 3rd place depending on my mood.
Doesn't a $500 HifiMan HE6se V2 headphone competing with and performing on par with $1,200 headphones make it a good buy? The biggest drawback might be one of inconvenience should one have to deal with a malfunctioning HifiMan HE6se V2 headphone new out of the box. So, on one hand you may feel like you are saving $700. But, on the other hand you must also be prepared to take the time and effort to thoroughly inspect and test that your HifiMan HE6se V2 headphone to remedy any problems within Adorama's exchange window. If one is not willing to take that gamble and effort, perhaps one would be better served purchasing a different headphone.

Aug 16, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #1,292 of 2,647
It depends. If you already have some higher end amps, especially higher power amps, or already prepare to invest in those amps along with some existing hard-to-drive planar HP, then may be yes.

However, if you don't already have and never prepare for it, then no.

The whole idea of HE6SE V2 is to spend $500 to $600 (depends on the deal and tax) to achieve something on par with $1.6k HPs. However, if you have to spend additional $1k to invest in a good amp to drive the thing, why don't you just spend $1k + $600 for a good HP that is actually easy to drive with your existing DAC/AMP?
This!
I can't tell you enough how horrid the HifiMan HE6se V2 sound driven from most of my too anemic amplifiers. My recommendations for a synergistic budget systems to drive HifiMan HE6se V2 is approximately $1,100 for both a headphone amp and a DAC in the used market. Look for a used Rebel Audio RebelAmp headphone amp and a used Schiit Bifrost 2. They make the HifiMan HE6se V2 sound amazing! Synergy that beats my more expensive amps. Grand total for headphone, amp, and DAC is $1,600.
But if it were me buying, I would just go for a better headphone as wolfstar76 suggests. I would get a used ZMF Aeolus $850 + a used Questyle CMA Twelve DAC/amp combo $1,100 for a grand total of $1,950. Yes, it is $350 more, but well worth it in my book.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #1,293 of 2,647
If you have the room, get an Audio-gd Master 19. If you can spend more money a Master 9P.

Great honkin' tank of an amp that will drive any planar or dynamic and sound great doing it. Great connectivity and build quality also.

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #1,294 of 2,647
If you have the power, the v2 would be the way to go to me it has so many good points. One caveat is the stuck driver thing. The XS is perhaps the 2nd best deal under $600 for open backs. The XS loses most in the bass impact/timbre area. Both like judicious use of EQ. If you don't have the juice and don't plan on getting it soon the XS is the way.

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #1,295 of 2,647
I just do it because it's a cheap, hot-rodding kind of fun. I paid $1 per WPC for my Onkyo AVR. I'm probably having fun with my HE6 just about as inexpensively as possible.

My dissatisfaction with my Liquid Platinum is probably all down to my choice of tubes as opposed to any sort of lack of power, or maybe I just don't like the planars-on-tubes sound altogether, because I'm not terribly fond on my T50rp Argon on it, either. My Singxer, even in high-gain with a balanced input, the HE6 has me pushing the dial near 3 o'clock and it's Class A/B territory up there instead of pure Class A where it performs best. In the future I'm eager to try out the RebelAmp with this headphone and others, which isn't a raw powerhouse by any means, but if it sounds good, it sounds good.

I'm not saying heaps of power out of speaker taps is the only way to get a lot of fun out of this headphone. But it's certainly a very inexpensive-yet-very-effective way. And in my opinion, it's a much better use of time and money than shelling out the fortune for a Bakoon or something.
I'm not saying using speaker amps/recs is wrong. I was just saying don't conclude that a 100 wpc unit is needed. It's what the unit puts out into 50 ohms - and of course how it sounds. I wish I had access to a Krell KSA-100, Yamaha AX2000A Int, Marantz 2385 rec etc. Lots of winners and more than good enoughs to be found.

Aug 16, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #1,296 of 2,647
This!
I can't tell you enough how horrid the HifiMan HE6se V2 sound driven from most of my too anemic amplifiers. My recommendations for a synergistic budget systems to drive HifiMan HE6se V2 is approximately $1,100 for both a headphone amp and a DAC in the used market. Look for a used Rebel Audio RebelAmp headphone amp and a used Schiit Bifrost 2. They make the HifiMan HE6se V2 sound amazing! Synergy that beats my more expensive amps. Grand total for headphone, amp, and DAC is $1,600.
But if it were me buying, I would just go for a better headphone as wolfstar76 suggests. I would get a used ZMF Aeolus $850 + a used Questyle CMA Twelve DAC/amp combo $1,100 for a grand total of $1,950. Yes, it is $350 more, but well worth it in my book.
I agree with almost all of this. However I want to point out that the Aeolus has a boosted mid bass and the bass is a bit wooly (house sound) IMO. Did not hear with EQ or any bass damping. Otherwise they are very nice and built better than either SE and almost all HFM.

Aug 16, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #1,297 of 2,647
I agree with almost all of this. However I want to point out that the Aeolus has a boosted mid bass and the bass is a bit wooly (house sound) IMO. Did not hear with EQ or any bass damping. Otherwise they are very nice and built better than either SE and almost all HFM.
True about the EQ. I really don't bother listening to any of my headphones without EQ anymore. The exception is when I am not at home and am playing IEMs from a portable player or phone. The ZMF Aeolus with EQ is sweet.

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #1,298 of 2,647
It depends. If you already have some higher end amps, especailly higher power amps, or already prepare to invest in those amps along with some existing hard-to-drive planar HP, then may be yes.

However, if you don't already have and never prepare for it, then no.

The whole idea of HE6SE V2 is to spend $500 to $600 (depends on the deal and tax) to achieve something on par with $1.6k HPs. However, if you have to spend additional $1k to invest in a good amp to drive the thing, why don't you just spend $1k + $600 for a good HP that is actually easy to drive with your existing DAC/AMP?
I have a nice Denon av receiver from the mid 2000s that can do 110 W into 8 ohms that should be able to run the HE6SE v2 well or I was thinking of getting something like an SMSL AO200 amp to run it (I think someone else earlier in this thread used it to run the HE6SE v2 with good results)

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #1,299 of 2,647
I also saw Emotiva also has the basx a2m with the jumper to unleash all the power into the headphone jacks which I'm also considering. If there are other not super pricey amps others recommend that would be great. I'm planning to get these for my birthday so I'm not worried about splurging a bit

Aug 16, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #1,300 of 2,647
Amps like the Krell KSA (not the baby), FPB and Pass X Series I would not lose one second of sleep wondering if they pump an appropriate amount of current using 4 or 8 ohms as the starting point of figuring wpc at 50 or 600 ohms. But these are mighty overbuilt tanks that cost an insane amount of money - new or used.

However, most receivers in particular before the 1972 period probably were not tested from the speaker taps for loads like these. I bet quite a few are unstable into loads like that, and some may not produce 20-20k accurately.

You get to 1976 or so and brands like Kenwood, Marantz, Pioneer - the higher power ones that have caps that don't leak and healthy power supplies would be nice.

Even the NAD's with more juice after the 1978 debut of the 3020 going into the mid 80's may not do it.

If I were doing this i'd look for class a or ab, not H or D. Then i'd look at the specs at 4 and 8 ohms. If the 4 is 150% or more of 8 i'd bet it'll work if the number at 50 ohms is 3+ wpc with no big issues coming in for stuff like odd/higher order harmonics spiking.

If it's very well built caps might hang on for 35 years but normal quality - over 20 you could be cooked. Changing large caps in xovers is a piece of cake. A good sized int amp that's all discrete might have 30+ coupling caps and 25 others all packed on a board that is quit dense. Unless you are very good at this the chance of lifting pads and roasting temp sensitive parts is very high. That means if the piece is not special - make sure it's under 20 yrs old and just use it (others saying it works well would be good to know). If it's high test and over 30 years old consider having a pro (so few good ones compared to 20 yrs ago) clean it up well.

Or just buy a Schiit Jot 2 or the upcoming new Lyr. You can still hit yard sales and hope you get a gem for peanuts.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #1,302 of 2,647
Buy a Crown D-75A.
Plenty on eBay.
I see you are using two as monoblocks. If I bought one and use the headphone jack, it won't give me the juice I need, right? I have to use banana plug to connect the rear output? Though I am not sure if speaker amp can make any difference than my current FA-10.

Aug 17, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #1,303 of 2,647
I see you are using two as monoblocks. If I bought one and use the headphone jack, it won't give me the juice I need, right? I have to use banana plug to connect the rear output? Though I am not sure if speaker amp can make any difference than my current FA-10.
Yes, It'll give a lot of juice, just not 110W @ 8 Ohm as my monoblocks.
It'll be 40W @ 8 Ohm.
I think it's gonna improve what you hear in regards to stage size & bass extension.
Maybe I'm wrong because I'm not familiar with FA-10.
You don't have to use a banana plug as all the power goes straight to the headphones jack.
Monoblocks improved the stage and bass further. Very effortless with full sound.
I have another Crown that is in repairs.
I hope the guy fixes it soon so I can compare stereo to monoblocks.
I'm a stage & bass sucker. Still think I can improve them lol trying a few tweaks like DDC, cables, etc
Maybe Gungnir or new BF2 card

Aug 17, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #1,304 of 2,647
I was looking at those closely about two weeks ago. The word is out. Broken junk on eBay having asks that were the price for minty ones 2-3 years ago. Modifying or replacing leaky/burned parts require lots of skill. Paying someone to clean one up is not cost effective. I've not heard one and I would like too - but unless I could score a known good one at a fair price I would not get into it.

Unless you are skilled in soldering in tight spaces, have a multimeter, and some idea of what is what regarding discrete components I wouldn't advise it - and I meet those criteria.

Buy the forthcoming Lyr or the current Jot and relax.

Aug 17, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #1,305 of 2,647
Yeah, I was looking at the Crowns for a bit, too, but at about $150 a piece and needing two of them, it was just cheaper and easier to buy my ten-year-old Onkyo for the same if not more power at half the cost.

I'm going to be saving up here and there for a RebelAmp, maybe pull the trigger next year. I've heard increasingly many good things from several people with similar ears to mine, it seems like it'll synergize well with a lot of my headphones, including this one. Plus I like the idea of sending some money to Ukraine. And then after that, I think I'm going to try building my own KG CFA3. Sounds like a fun project and at the end of it I'll have a god-tier amp. What's not to like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back