HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Oct 19, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #196 of 2,647
I'll be joining the club pretty soon as I've bought a used pair from a fellow enthousiast. It should arrive next week.

Anybody here replaced their Sundara with the HE6se? I wonder if the flavours are different enough to keep both.

Would love to hear more comparisons as well. Have the Sundara's, but with a Jotunheim 2 coming, very interested in the HE6SE V2's

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #197 of 2,647
I'll be joining the club pretty soon as I've bought a used pair from a fellow enthousiast. It should arrive next week.

Anybody here replaced their Sundara with the HE6se? I wonder if the flavours are different enough to keep both.

I have the he6se v2 and tried my friends sundara. I think sundara is actually tuned better but he6se v2 has better technicalities. So they present slightly different flavors. Part of me likes the tuning so much on sundara that its better to listen to in that respect, but part of me feels the more life like presentation of the he6se v2 better as well. did comparisons in my video

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #198 of 2,647
I have the he6se v2 and tried my friends sundara. I think sundara is actually tuned better but he6se v2 has better technicalities. So they present slightly different flavors. Part of me likes the tuning so much on sundara that its better to listen to in that respect, but part of me feels the more life like presentation of the he6se v2 better as well. did comparisons in my video

Thanks, I'll look at your video tonight!

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #199 of 2,647
I grabbed my HE6SEV2 yesterday. Tried it with my Burson Composer+Soloist 3X. At first, I used regular mode on Soloist. It sounds very lacking, not satisfied. After switching Soloist to Headphone Power Amp mode, the sound improved quite a bit. However, I still don't think it is as good as my LCD-3. I think either Soloist is not able to provide enough juice or LCD-3 is just a better headphone overall comparing to HE6 (LCD-3 is like 2-3 times more expensive than HE6SEV2). I will dig more.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #200 of 2,647
I grabbed my HE6SEV2 yesterday. Tried it with my Burson Composer+Soloist 3X. At first, I used regular mode on Soloist. It sounds very lacking, not satisfied. After switching Soloist to Headphone Power Amp mode, the sound improved quite a bit. However, I still don't think it is as good as my LCD-3. I think either Soloist is not able to provide enough juice or LCD-3 is just a better headphone overall comparing to HE6 (LCD-3 is like 2-3 times more expensive than HE6SEV2). I will dig more.
I find the LCD-4 to be well better than the 3 or the 6. Without EQ, both are flawed. The 3 has a big trough in the lower treble. The 6 has a dip in the upper mids and some ringing issues in the treble. I shade towards the 6, in particular in view of the price.

The 6 needs IMO 4 watts @ 50 ohms. Under 2 they really do not shine.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #201 of 2,647
The 6 needs IMO 4 watts @ 50 ohms. Under 2 they really do not shine.
Agreed on the power thing. My LP puts out over four watts at 56 Ohms and I would rank it just good to very good.

Oct 19, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #202 of 2,647

Sundara has peaks at 6.5kHz, 8.5kHz, and 15kHz which include ringing. It's also way short in the sub-bass - using the strategy of more mid-bass and looser damping to try and mimic low bass. It is as you note short of technicals. If the HE-6se v1/v2 are driven by an amp w/o enough power, than it should show itself as belonging to a higher class than the Sundara.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #203 of 2,647

I think the HE6se V2 is WAY better than the Sundara. I thought that my Sundara's were good, but far from great.
I think the HE6se V2's are great! To me, they are in different classes.

Oct 19, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #204 of 2,647
I think the HE6se V2 is WAY better than the Sundara. I thought that my Sundara's were good, but far from great.
I think the HE6se V2's are great! To me, they are in different classes.
I have the HE6se V2 headphones playing out of the Rebel Audio RebelAmp right next to the Sundara headphones playing out of the Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2. So, both are performing with amps that they synergize best with. The HE6se V2 is wiping the floor with the Sundara. No contest. HE6se V2 is king.
IMG_1724.jpg

Oct 19, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #205 of 2,647
Which is brighter/harsher or less forgiving of music?
Like all of my headphones, I put both through all of my amps until I find a pairing that avoids bright harshness. In regards to music when amped correctly, Sundara sound excellent but with the HE6se V2 the stage opens wide up. Resolution and clarity increase in magnitudes. Bass is full deep and subsonic.

Oct 19, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #206 of 2,647
Sundara has peaks at 6.5kHz, 8.5kHz, and 15kHz which include ringing. It's also way short in the sub-bass - using the strategy of more mid-bass and looser damping to try and mimic low bass. It is as you note short of technicals. If the HE-6se v1/v2 are driven by an amp w/o enough power, than it should show itself as belonging to a higher class than the Sundara.
yeah I do agree the with that the he6se v2 is better overall and if you EQ its no contest, but the sundara is no slouch. It has to be said that I do enjoy vocal based music and Sundara does fill in the 1.5K region more than the he-6se v2 and it comes off more natural and full in that region. But he-6se v2 has better extension in bass and treble so yeah....its probably the deal of a lifetime headphone. I heard a bunch of expensive summit-fi headphones at canjam he-6se v2 is definitely alot better than most of them

Oct 19, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #207 of 2,647
I have the HE6se V2 headphones playing out of the Rebel Audio RebelAmp right next to the Sundara headphones playing out of the Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2. So, both are performing with amps that they synergize best with. The HE6se V2 is wiping the floor with the Sundara. No contest. HE6se V2 is king.
Ironically, the Sundara LOOK more expensive and classier, less plasticy and cheap, than the HE-6se v2.😅

Oct 20, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #208 of 2,647
s
Ironically, the Sundara LOOK more expensive and classier, less plasticy and cheap, than the HE-6se v2.😅
I don't see that at all, but as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
:grin:

Oct 20, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #210 of 2,647
If all “pretty” hd could sound this good for so little….. Would I mind magnesium body and exotic wood eccentricity? Oc not. :wink:

But I get it.., at certain price point, esthetics/buildQ start to matter (as it should). SQ is still a dominate factor tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back