HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Dec 3, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #1,636 of 2,647
I paid $699 for the v1 in 2018. The enjoyment over these past years is worth the delta in the price for me.

Which mouse? 🐸
Haha, typo of course.

Dec 3, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #1,637 of 2,647
However, I have been comparing HE6SE with ZMF Atrium recently and I found Atrium is superior in scenarios such as live performance. Mostly due to the timber and staging/imaging. Atrium gives me way better sense of the reality.

Hopefully a 2.5k USD headphone sounds better than one that you can usually buy for well under 1k USD

Dec 3, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #1,638 of 2,647
The good thing about Planar headphone, especially HE6SE, is very easy to EQ with good result.

However, I have been comparing HE6SE with ZMF Atrium recently and I found Atrium is superior in scenarios such as live performance. Mostly due to the timber and staging/imaging. Atrium gives me way better sense of the reality.
It should be a lot better at five times the price though right?

Dec 4, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #1,639 of 2,647
It should be a lot better at five times the price though right?
@theangelboy noted the HE6SE V2 is down to $400. If we wait long enough, they will include a set of Atriums and pay us 500 euros on every HE6SE V2 purchase, at no additional cost :D

Dec 4, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #1,640 of 2,647
Never-ending. I ordered one.

How are the vocals on HE6se V2 compared to Sennheiser HD600/650/660S? I recently switched my daily driver from Sundara to HD660S. HD660S has better imaging and separation, at the expense of small soundstage. Vocals and timbre are just more enjoyable on HD660S. Sundara (and many other Hifimans) vocals are recessed and thin, in comparison. Based on reviews, seems HE6se V2 is warmer and has more forward vocals than most other Hifimans. I wonder how it compares to HD6x0 series.

As for amplification, I have to see if Drop THX AAA One is sufficient. This is single-ended only. 2.7W at 32ohm. Not sure how quickly it rolls off at 50 ohm. Might be marginal. Not much head room.

Dec 4, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #1,641 of 2,647
Never-ending. I ordered one.

How are the vocals on HE6se V2 compared to Sennheiser HD600/650/660S? I recently switched my daily driver from Sundara to HD660S. HD660S has better imaging and separation, at the expense of small soundstage. Vocals and timbre are just more enjoyable on HD660S. Sundara (and many other Hifimans) vocals are recessed and thin, in comparison. Based on reviews, seems HE6se V2 is warmer and has more forward vocals than most other Hifimans. I wonder how it compares to HD6x0 series.

As for amplification, I have to see if Drop THX AAA One is sufficient. This is single-ended only. 2.7W at 32ohm. Not sure how quickly it rolls off at 50 ohm. Might be marginal. Not much head room.
It's a matter of taste. Hot mids are the forte of the HE6 but they stay to the left of the ragged edge of sibilance in an almost supernatural way. For natural timbre, the HD 600 beats the HE6. For impact and fun, the HE6 is a clear winner. It's a different presentation, for me both are enjoyable in different ways. For classic rock, electric guitars, a lot of jazz, HE6 is killer because of the speed and impact.

Dec 5, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #1,645 of 2,647
I wouldn't buy HE6se for vocals.
Although I have to say, on some vocals it is superb. For instance, Sinatra. I didn't expect it, but it's outrageous! :)

Dec 6, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #1,647 of 2,647
Just got mine that I ordered on the Black Friday deal. Now realizing I need a new AMP. Anybody have any recommendations?
As far as headphone amps within the reach of mere mortals, the Schiit Jotunheim or Monoprice Liquid Platinum are popular pairings with this headphone.

I've heard some promising things about the Emotiva BasX A2m with the jumper mod, but not a lot here have tried it yet. I might soon.

If you want to save money, you'll want to get a good used +100WPC home theatre receiver and drive this headphone straight off the speaker taps. Tons of people have gotten good results this way for very little money compared to what *could* be spent on amping this headphone.

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #1,648 of 2,647
I wouldn't buy HE6se for vocals
depends. the 4** models, and Sundara no. The HE-500, HE-6*, a,pv2, HEK*, Susvara - with mods and/or EQ and sufficient amp and source- yes.

The Senns 600 and 800 on OTL amps - better, but on SS? Overall for all types of music - the named HFM's are my preference on SS amps.

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #1,649 of 2,647
agreed my sennheiser hd 58x sound more full and natural, but he 6sev2 generally does well with some female vocals,
Oh yes, forgot that men sing too! Female vocals on the HE-6 SE and HE-500 with my mods and EQ'd are sublime

Dec 7, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #1,650 of 2,647
I couldn't resist the $399 price tag and snagged a pair, which I'm listening to currently. Thankfully they're working wonderfully so far, no QC issues out of the box. My system is configured for high Z dynamics (ZMF, HD650, lots of tube amps with low power and high output impedance) but I do have a Jotunheim 2 for emergency solid state duties. So far I have no complaints with the Jot 2, I don't get the sense they're underpowered at all. Great dynamics and slam, a pleasing tone, and overall a very nice sound signature. A bit leaner than what i'm used to, but that's ok, I have too many dark/warm headphones haha.

What impressed me right out of the box was the bass. They don't hit quite as hard as the Atrium, but it's still very impactful and dynamic. By far the best planar bass I've heard. Good heft and decay as well, not too fast like many planars sound to me, including my LCD2 Closed. Being treble sensitive, I was worried about them, but I detect no sibilance anywhere in the frequency range. All in all a wonderful sounding headphone. Not sure what break in is like with them, but if they're anything like my ZMFs, a good 100ish hours should really open them up and settle them down.

I love how guitars sound on them, great presence and extension without crossing over into the fatiguing zone. I was listening to some John 5 and I quickly became lost in the energy of the music, a very good sign. Too many times I play the same tracks with other new headphones and lose interest. Not the case here. They're not quite as engaging as my best dynamics on tubes, but they're not far off either. Buckethead's Soothsayer sounds downright ethereal on them. I wish he'd put some of the live cuts on Tidal. You can only find them on Youtube as far as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back