Hifiman HE6-SE
May 23, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #1,741 of 3,894
I see speakers and headphones as two different instruments in our quest for lifestyle balance. Speakers are better all around but headphones brings you into the recording, like a sonic microscope. You "hear" everything. Well driven, the HE-6 is a tube sounding headphone in that it is detailed without being overly harsh with digital sources. I've been in love with the planar sound since the HE-5 made an appearance at a meet some years ago. I feel planars are close to stats with thump. If you have a well laid out speaker setup and proper positioned seating, it is bliss. All else the headphone gives you everything you want and this one scales well.
Agreed on pretty much all points. The Revels on the desk give a real 3D feel to the music and feel like it's all there. I'm big on detail and feeling like the sound is 'precise' so I lean away from warm headphones and speakers - thus my stable is the Elegia (closed-back and scalpel-precise), HE-500 (rock concert feel), and HE6SE V2 (the 'in the music' experience, feel like it just reproduces exactly what's there). The DT1990s sort of do the same thing but at a much shallower level, not delivering the full sense of depth and reality that the V2s do.

May 29, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #1,742 of 3,894
Just a update, really enjoying the HE6SE, and my father cried when he got to listen to this headset. He had listened to my HD6xx before, but Death Row of Chris Stapleton on HE6SE made him wet in his eyes. Anyone got any recommendation for songs tuned with well controlled bass? I feel like every Billie Eilish song was made for this headset

May 30, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #1,743 of 3,894
I can’t get the adorma set the uk but can get v1. Are there easy mods to do on it to improve comfort and sound?

May 30, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #1,744 of 3,894
Have you experienced any issues with the headband on other Hifiman products? I think the comfort is superb on the V1’s.

Sound mod I only had issue with the bass impact, compared to OG HE6 4-screw which I previously owned. Treble wise the V1’s are a lot better and easier to listen to, also much easier to drive, don’t need to use a Power amp, even tough on paper they are the same, I got distortion with the OG running from my A90, V1’s doesn’t distort as easily.

Simple mod for greater bass impact would be my pass port mod, see previous pages. I have experimented with 1-4 ports and found 3 ports to be my preferred amount before the bass got too much.

Also recommend to replace the stock grilles, I just superglued some thin speaker cloth to the plastic retainer rings that come with the headset.

122D1657-4C5F-478A-986A-8026AA2CF9BF.jpeg471B69C8-DDAA-4289-BD42-1CE23DDC71D6.jpeg

May 30, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #1,745 of 3,894
Just a update, really enjoying the HE6SE, and my father cried when he got to listen to this headset. He had listened to my HD6xx before, but Death Row of Chris Stapleton on HE6SE made him wet in his eyes. Anyone got any recommendation for songs tuned with well controlled bass? I feel like every Billie Eilish song was made for this headset
Pretty much all the new pop stuff is produced and mixed well. kendrick Lamars: good kid,mad city and 2pacs: all eyes on me, are 2 of the best mixed and produced hip-hop lp ever. Lots of micro details and great bass.

May 30, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #1,746 of 3,894
I thought this was a very interesting video comparing the different HE6 headphones. It's a shame the original is no longer being produced by Hifiman.

May 30, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #1,747 of 3,894
I thought this was a very interesting video comparing the different HE6 headphones. It's a shame the original is no longer being produced by Hifiman.

Yup, saw that. So, resolve realized the differences. There are differences. The OG HE-6 is very good technically in terms of imaging and detailing. OG and SE do have difference in technical abilities. OG HE-6 is a very good value for the technical performance you can get. The caveat is that it requires good strong drive to shine, and it perform well with the right amp and DAC (I think Schiit multibit DACs balances it out). The thread about amps that can drive HE-6 isn't without good reasons. If ones goes through that thread, will realize why such a thread exists.

For when it came out at the time, it was a technical marvel! We got slammin bass on a such a airy open headphone back in the days! It just does converges aspect of what you want done. Open-back, check. Got bass, check.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #1,748 of 3,894

Saw this as well. I never would’ve thought the gap was that big from the SE version to the original. I have the HE6se V2’s and find them punchy but for Resolve to say the originals are two steps above them is mind boggling to say the least. Now I’m curious about the original HE6’s. I just missed out on getting a pair back when I started head-fi.

May 30, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #1,749 of 3,894
Saw this as well. I never would’ve thought the gap was that big from the SE version to the original. I have the HE6se V2’s and find them punchy but for Resolve to say the originals are two steps above them is mind boggling to say the least. Now I’m curious about the original HE6’s. I just missed out on getting a pair back when I started head-fi.

I'm kind of shocked too. I thought the HE6se v2 seemed like a great value considering the discounts people were getting from Adorama but this review has sort of taken out my enthusiasm for it. Hard to understand how the company could be moving seemingly backwards in the evolution of this headphone.

May 30, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #1,750 of 3,894
I'm kind of shocked too. I thought the HE6se v2 seemed like a great value considering the discounts people were getting from Adorama but this review has sort of taken out my enthusiasm for it. Hard to understand how the company could be moving seemingly backwards in the evolution of this headphone.
It’s very odd, but the HE6se’s are still very good sounding headphones. They just aren’t what I thought they were, which is a rebadged version of the original. Instead they seem to be a totally new headphone.

May 30, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #1,751 of 3,894
When the classic Hifimans came out with the OG HE500 and HE6, I believe the original designer was not Fang Bian, but Mr. He. He was also the designer of the original Jade.

HE is labeled after Mr He.

May 30, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #1,752 of 3,894

Looks like those V2s have aftermarket grills installed, as he noted. Wonder if there were any other mods in play and would have been interesting to hear observations based on stock rather than modified, though any perspective is better than none.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #1,753 of 3,894
Looks like those V2s have aftermarket grills installed, as he noted. Wonder if there were any other mods in play and would have been interesting to hear observations based on stock rather than modified, though any perspective is better than none.
See here https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2021/03/hifiman-he6se-v2-mods-and-stuff.html?m=1

The ones In the video were sent by Antdroid he talks about the mods. He actually measured a difference with the grill off in the bass but resolve said he didn't notice a difference.

May 30, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #1,754 of 3,894
See here https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2021/03/hifiman-he6se-v2-mods-and-stuff.html?m=1

The ones In the video were sent by Antdroid he talks about the mods. He actually measured a difference with the grill off in the bass but resolve said he didn't notice a difference.
Mine have the grill mod and I have a set of the Dekoni fenestrated pads with attenuation rings on them as well. They sound open and punch very hard. I just wonder how they would compare to original HE6's. I can hear the sub bass extension and I think they are very relevant headphones even today.

May 31, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #1,755 of 3,894
When the classic Hifimans came out with the OG HE500 and HE6, I believe the original designer was not Fang Bian, but Mr. He. He was also the designer of the original Jade.

HE is labeled after Mr He.
Yup, He Binwu was the project lead back then for the HE-500 and HE-6 and is a co-founder of Hifiman (listening to my HE-500 while typing this :o2smile:). Later, he had health issues, so he had to take a step back from his role but is still with the company according to Dr. Fang: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/a-m...president-and-ceo-hifiman-electronics.892634/.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back